Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

35 minutes ago, Desp said:

£2.5m with add-ons is decent dosh, you are absolutely correct. 

However, if there are clubs prepared to pay more than that, why should we settle for decent? 

I understand the clubs position get as much as possible but not a good move for the player.
For me I've seen too many players going south and not fulfil their potential.
He will want first team football, wouldn't want him to go to Celtic if he stagnates on our bench.
If the agent is pulling the strings hes in trouble,there should still be a path way for the player to follow.

I get I’m biased but Turnbull is a cracking player who will play wherever he goes.

If his agent was pulling the strings he wouldn’t have signed his new deal with Motherwell. If the rumours are true it was Turnbull who said he was staying to develop.

Personally I hope he stays for another year and then moves on to a bigger club where he can get access to better coaches and facilities. Probably won’t happen but Germany is a good shout, get the hell out of the UK and learn in a different style.

Davie Turnbull will play wherever he goes, he’s that good.

I’m confident we won’t sell him to Celtic no matter what they offer. Dembele aside, Celtic’s top players (Armstrong, VVD, Wanyama) have gone south for circa £8m-12m. Contrast that with McGinn who’s had a good season at Villa and is now being touted as a £30m player down south.

There’s no doubt we’ll negotiate a chunky sell on fee so why sell to Celtic to get, say, 20% of £8m on a few years time when we could get 20% of £15m if we sell him to the likes of Bristol City, Barnsley etc. Even transfer from between English Championship clubs are now comfortably into 8 figures. There’s absolutely no benefit of us selling him to Celtic.

I wouldn't say I'm confident we wouldn't sell to Celtic if they offered more than others who were in for him however our market is definitely England and it's almost certainly the case that he's been priced for that market.

I can't remember if I've posted this before or not but it's in my drafts anyway. Here's a list of all our notable outgoings back to McDonald being sold to Celtic. I've included some of the key OOC moves as well since they illustrate the point that the vast majority of our transfer business is cross-border (apologies in advance for a very long list).

If there are decent options/offers from England then that's where I'd imagine he'll end up.

• 18/19 - Main - Free out of contract to Aberdeen
  • 18/19 - McHugh - Free out of contract to ATK
  • 18/19 - McKinstry - Undisclosed to Leeds
  • 18/19 - Hastie - Development fee TBC to Rangers
  • 18/19 - Bowman - Undisclosed to Exeter City
  • 18/19 - Kipré - Undisclosed to Wigan
  • 17/18 - Moult - Undisclosed to Preston North End
  • 17/18 - Heneghan - Undisclosed to Sheffield Utd
  • 16/17 - R.Leitch - Free out of contract to Burnley
  • 16/17 - Johnson - Undisclosed to Oxford United
  • 16/17 - Pearson - Undisclosed to Atletico de Kolkata
  • 15/16 - Hall - Development fee: out of contract to Brighton
  • 14/15 - Erwin - Development fee: out of contract to Leeds
  • 14/15 - Anier - Undisclosed to Erzgebirge Aue
  • 13/14 - Hutchinson - Free out of contract to Fulham
  • 13/14 - McFadden - Free out of contract to St Johnstone
  • 13/14 - Hateley - Free out of contract to Tranmere
  • 13/14 - Higdon - Free out of contract to NEC Nijmegen
  • 13/14 - Ojamaa - Undisclosed to Legia Warsaw
  • 13/14 - Humphrey - Free out of contract to Preston North End
  • 12/13 - Randolph - Free out of contract to Birmingham
  • 12/13 - Law - Free out of contract to Rangers
  • 12/13 - Murphy - £100k (plus clauses) to Sheffield United
  • 12/13 - Jennings - Free out of contract to Coventry City
  • 10/11 - Reynolds - £100k (plus clauses) to Sheffield Wednesday
  • 10/11 - Coke - Free out of contract to Sheffield Wednesday
  • 10/11 - O'Brien - Free out of contract to Barnsley
  • 09/10 - Slane - Undisclosed to Celtic
  • 09/10 - Hughes - Free out of contract to Norwich
  • 09/10 - Quinn - £300k to Cardiff
  • 09/10 - Clarkson - £600k to Bristol City
  • 08/09 - Porter - £400k to Derby
  • 08/09 - McCormack - £100k to Cardiff
  • 07/08 - McDonald - £700k to Celtic
Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I see Ben Hall is being released by Brighton this Summer.

Hadn't seen that. Last I'd read about him he'd picked up an injury in his 2nd spell on loan at Notts County and it had pretty much ruled him out for the season.

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I liked Ben Hall. I'm sure McManus helped but he was ridiculously assured for an 18 year old centre half.

His exit was quite something. McGhee was absolutely raging.

McGhee, who has his eye on a replacement for the defender already, is disappointed at the lack of contact from the stopper and his representatives and at losing a player he believes owed the club “a bit more time”.

“When I arrived in October he was nowhere near the first team,” the boss told the Motherwell Times. “I started Ben’s development with Cadds (Chris Cadden), Luke Watt and Fergie (David Ferguson), working in the gym.

“Ben has left and he has not even said cheerio or acknowledged the fact that we exist.

“His agent has never contacted me. He dealt with Alan Burrows.”

However McGhee insisted that Hall leaving wasn’t a blow as he would be signing a replacement.

“That is not the issue,” McGhee added. “The issue is one of courtesy.

“He has disappeared down the road and it’s wrong.

“Loyalty is not a word that is often used but Ben owed us a bit more time.

“I understand that Ben has moved because of his agent. That is the modern world.”

6 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I can't think who we signed as Hall's replacement. Mcmanus definitely helped him. He was poor in the under 20s cup final despite being established in the first team at that point.

It would presumably have been Ben Heneghan?

Here's our transfer business for the season after Hall left:

5cfbce04a858d_ScreenShot2019-06-08at16_01_54.thumb.png.c3e024acdec12dae5aa5ee6c31aaa93d.png

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

It would presumably have been Ben Heneghan?

Here's our transfer business for the season after Hall left:

5cfbce04a858d_ScreenShot2019-06-08at16_01_54.thumb.png.c3e024acdec12dae5aa5ee6c31aaa93d.png

I tell you what we really played the loan system well that season didn't we?

2 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Who the f**k is Olivier Pain?  

Craigan signed him for the 20s as Morrison picked up an injury and needed surgery.

Motherwell FC can today confirm the arrival of young goalkeeper Oliver Pain from Sunderland on a loan deal until the end of the season.

The 19-year-old Aussie will play under Stephen Craigan for the Motherwell U20s as he makes the switch to Lanarkshire after it was confirmed PJ Morrison would require surgery on a wrist injury.

Link

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I genuinely thought Lee Lucas was going to rip the league apart after that Ross County game. 

You clearly also thought yer moniker namesake was a player too.... :lol:

Edited by MJC

37 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

:lol:

Here he is skinning Shinji Kagawa.

gettyimages-74381570-612x612.jpg.6ffebf7c1804b9fe1129412bf4593da2.jpg

See, the heart says that he skins Kagawa here before getting to the byeline and whipping in a pinpoint cross for Olivier Giroud to head in....my experienced Motherwell supporting head says that he is caught in possession which leads to a goal conceded before spending the rest of the game bombing up and down the flank offering nothing....apart from...erm... getting caught in possession whenever he has it.

Edited by MJC

7 hours ago, capt_oats said:

His exit was quite something. McGhee was absolutely raging.

A quote from that story hints at the fact that things have improved slightly on the goalkeeping front:

But former Inverness Caley keeper Dean Brill (30) remains on Motherwell’s radar and McGhee is hopeful he’ll join.

“We’ve made Dean an offer and I’m expecting an answer in the next day or two,” McGhee said.

“We would be happy to have him here as back-up for Craig Samson.”