Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

That's Bournemouth now "entered the race" for Turnbull, with the plan to sign him then loan him straight into the Championship.

£5m to them is absolute pocket change. 

That's Bournemouth now "entered the race" for Turnbull, with the plan to sign him then loan him straight into the Championship.

That’s probably a really good move for him if it materialises. Look at the progress with Fraser and other younger guys. Eddie Howe know how to get the best out of the kids at the club.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Bournemouth were a club mentioned as being interested a while back (like, months ago). It may have been on Steelmen I read that.

Funnily enough Stephen Robinson is a former Bournemouth player (241 appearances).

Edited by capt_oats

Hope you guys hold out for the maximum amoiunt of money possible for Turnbull.

If it is Victim FC then so be it, but hopefully not, as reckon this boy could miss this stage of his career and jump two rungs up the ladder straight away

9 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Bournemouth were a club mentioned as being interested a while back (like, months ago). It may have been on Steelmen I read that.

Funnily enough Stephen Robinson is a former Bournemouth player (241 appearances).

I believe, although I may be wrong (and assuming it's the same person) that it was the legendary ITK Marv who first mentioned Bournemouth on Steelmen Online. 

46 minutes ago, weemac said:

I believe, although I may be wrong (and assuming it's the same person) that it was the legendary ITK Marv who first mentioned Bournemouth on Steelmen Online. 

It definitely wasn't the bold Marv whose post I saw. There's every chance he could have been the origin though as I really only dip in and out of SO these days.

It may have been as far back as December/January when the Southampton links were floating around in the press.

Edit: having just done a quick search of SO it looks like I've made that up as the source although I did find a mention on Twitter in April. Turns out it was a reply to our very own @Busta Nut so I'm guessing that's where I saw it.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

It definitely wasn't the bold Marv whose post I saw. There's every chance he could have been the origin though as I really only dip in and out of SO these days.

It may have been as far back as December/January when the Southampton links were floating around in the press.

Edit: having just done a quick search of SO it looks like I've made that up as the source although I did find a mention on Twitter in April. Turns out it was a reply to our very own @Busta Nut so I'm guessing that's where I saw it.

That's definitely earlier than when I first saw them mentioned and having looked back it was the main man Marvin who had posted it on Steelmen at the end of May, as well as saying that Everton were sniffing around too.  

I would obviously prefer Turnbull to stay but if I could hand pick a team in the Premier league for him to go to Bournemouth would be the team, for no other reason than Eddie Howe seems like he'll play younger guys of their good enough and also looks like he's able to improve a player. 

Celtic have said they aren't going to get involved in a bidding war and will look at other targets.

Aka they made an offer, Flow laughed at it and telt them to bolt and they're now trying to save face.

I’m not convinced that a “bidding war” is something that actually happens.
I reckon it’s more likely that we have a price and whoever meets that will then be allowed to negotiate with the player (if they haven’t already through the back door).

He is almost certain to be sold in this window. If we get in the region of £3m then we should be pleased. Whilst he is an outstanding talent, a club our size struggle to command large fees due to a number of factors.

Agree with @Mitch it may not be written into a contract but I'd think that there's a number that will have been agreed between club, agent and player as to what's acceptable when extensions for the like of Kipré and DT are signed.

Having said that given Turnbull said himself that he had turned down interest from English clubs last year then if that interest is from sides like Southampton and Bournemouth etc and it's real then that number probably rises a bit as everyone involved will want to make as much money as possible.

On a slight tangent regarding the Turnbull story:

Meanwhile, MailSport understands that if a deal does go through as expected, the windfall from the player will wipe out the final tranche of debt due to former owners John Boyle and Les Hutchison.

It's believed that figure is now at less than £700,000 after the sale of Cedric Kipre last summer, and once cleared, the club - which only became full fan-owned two and a half yeas ago - will be completely debt-free.

Looking at the accounts from last year on Companies House and what was owed to Boyle then there's a fair chance he's been settled by the Kipré and Bowman sales.

Presumably with money coming in from McKinstry moving to Leeds, Hastie moving to Sevco along with Les effectively writing a chunk of his debt off with the "Double Your Money" offer then whatever is left over will pretty much be pocket change (certainly to Les). There's every chance the debt could be cleared before we're even counting the Turnbull cash.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

I’m not convinced that a “bidding war” is something that actually happens.

I think this is largely true  simply because the buying clubs will know what is required to get an offer accepted. However, that wouldn't stop a determined club putting in a high bid to effectively freeze the others out in the situation where lots of clubs are interested. A club might calculate that adding £1m to their offer is cheaper in the long run compared to getting into a bidding war on wages.

On the debt question - we are one decent (not multi-million) transfer away from clearing the debt - which is probably a surprise to all concerned TBH. We've played the moneyball game really well the past few years and must be way ahead of expectations. I don't necessarily think that paying off soft loans early always makes good business sense - but given that this seems to have been driven purely through transfer fees as opposed to our normal income, it's a great position to be in. 

I would guess that once the debt is repaid - any similar money we make in future should be earmarked for long term stuff like Academy facilities and ground redevelopment/move rather than making the 1st team squad bigger.

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

I would guess that once the debt is repaid - any similar money we make in future should be earmarked for long term stuff like Academy facilities and ground redevelopment/move rather than making the 1st team squad bigger.

Quite. Let's avoid signing Andy Roddie, John Hendry and Shaun McSkimming this time around lads.

On 6/8/2019 at 12:46, wastecoatwilly said:

I understand the clubs position get as much as possible but not a good move for the player.
For me I've seen too many players going south and not fulfil their potential.
He will want first team football, wouldn't want him to go to Celtic if he stagnates on our bench.
If the agent is pulling the strings hes in trouble,there should still be a path way for the player to follow.

Aye you're right...there have never been any young players signed by Celtic from other Scottish Clubs, who haven't fulfilled their potential.