Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

30 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Trialist makes another appearance on the bench.

D-ymPMqXoAALOIX?format=jpg&name=large

Our strongest 11? 

Apart from maybe Dunne and possibly Sloth(Polworh’s suspended I’m sure), that’s pretty much the team I’d expect to see start at Palmerston next week.

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Our strongest 11? 

Apart from maybe Dunne and possibly Sloth(Polworh’s suspended I’m sure), that’s pretty much the team I’d expect to see start at Palmerston next week.

Aye, Dunne for Hartley is the obvious one.

I'm still not wholly convinced by Donnelly in there, then again I've not actually seen any of the friendlies and he was good in that role in the kickabout vs Livi on the last game of the season. Tbh, given Polworth's whole thing is assists I think we definitely need him in there given Turnbull's absence.

Also, it'll be curious to see who the trialist is (if it's the same guy) and whether it's someone we've been "aware/of tracking for a while" or if it's someone who's an obvious punt.

2 hours ago, steelmen said:

Be interesting who gets the nod between Carson and Gillespie? Both decent keepers and would be first choice, Pity we can’t play both.

I honestly can't be fucked with Wulff's chat but there's quite an interesting comparison between Carson and Gillespie in his write-up on Goalkeepers over on Modern Fitba. If advanced stats is any way your thing then apparently Gillespie was the 3rd best shot stopper in the league (behind Marciano and Bachmann), Carson was bottom of the table.

As it stands I'd still say Gillespie gets the nod.

Edit: Friendly finished 3-0 Motherwell. Long, Donnelly and Semple with the goals.

Also, it seems the trialist was a different one to the other night.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, Dunne for Hartley is the obvious one.

I'm still not wholly convinced by Donnelly in there, then again I've not actually seen any of the friendlies and he was good in that role in the kickabout vs Livi on the last game of the season. Tbh, given Polworth's whole thing is assists I think we definitely need him in there given Turnbull's absence.

Also, it'll be curious to see who the trialist is (if it's the same guy) and whether it's someone we've been "aware/of tracking for a while" or if it's someone who's an obvious punt.

I honestly can't be fucked with Wulff's chat but there's quite an interesting comparison between Carson and Gillespie in his write-up on Goalkeepers over on Modern Fitba. If advanced stats is any way your thing then apparently Gillespie was the 3rd best shot stopper in the league (behind Marciano and Bachmann), Carson was bottom of the table.

As it stands I'd still say Gillespie gets the nod.

Edit: Friendly finished 3-0 Motherwell. Long, Donnelly and Semple with the goals.

Also, it seems the trialist was a different one to the other night.

That’ll be another mystery who the other trialist and the one today was. Gave you a wee like as I appreciated how long that post was 😅

Another pre-season done and as much as you can’t really read into results; 3 wins, 1 loss, 13 goals for and 1 against isn’t to be grumbled at I guess 🤷‍♂️

One thing that crossed my mind was the lack of Craig Tanner in any of the squads. I could be wrong, but I thought he was now back in full training and we had extended his contract until the end of August in order to assess his fitness, which surely would have been best done in meaningless kickabouts. Any chances we’ll see him in the Betfred games or does his lack of minutes in friendlies suggest he’s struggling?

What I gather re Tanner is that he has until the end of August to be back in full training to prove his fitness.

He is light training, running and kicking a ball but not in full training yet. Would hope that is soon.

Realistically I think he will be aiming to be playing reserve football in August to maybe get a contract to extend further to say January.

11 minutes ago, dezz said:

Another pre-season done and as much as you can’t really read into results; 3 wins, 1 loss, 13 goals for and 1 against isn’t to be grumbled at I guess 🤷‍♂️

One thing that crossed my mind was the lack of Craig Tanner in any of the squads. I could be wrong, but I thought he was now back in full training and we had extended his contract until the end of August in order to assess his fitness, which surely would have been best done in meaningless kickabouts. Any chances we’ll see him in the Betfred games or does his lack of minutes in friendlies suggest he’s struggling?

I'd be surprised if we saw Tanner back in a "competitive" game any time soon tbh. According to Burrows on Twitter a couple of weeks ago:

"he’s not far away at all now. He’s taken part in all the fitness testing yesterday - it will be great to see him back amongst it again."

That was June 20th and from the sound of that he's still only been doing the fitness work which is obviously great given the length of time he's been out but it's still going to be a while until they give him a ball again and after that he'll surely need games with the Reserves.

You'd think they'd be particularly wary given the way he broke down in his rehab previously.

Cheers, I must have picked it up wrong and thought he’d been back in full training rather than just fitness work.

Assuming he does fully recover and everything goes to plan it sounds like we’ll probably not see him in first team action until October time. I’m a big Tanner fan and hope he can get back to his best but by then he’ll have been out for 18 months which is a hell of a long time.

Managed to grab a quick photo of him in the Darlington highlights for anyone who wants to do some digging. The Motherwell player on the far right of the free kick number 12.

7DBC457B-7897-4F17-B20C-6D569DD9CB56.png

Edited by supermarv

There's yer Robinson shutting down the "Frear's re-signing" patter.

"He was just down watching the game.

He is very friendly with a few of the boys.

I am looking to sign more players but I can confirm Elliott won’t be one of them.

But hopefully we’ll sign another couple of wide players before the end of next week."

Also better shot of the trialist in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

536966974_ScreenShot2019-07-07at09_58_47.thumb.png.29e3a5dbb492a9edc0444c20c3547804.png

If @Antiochas III is right with Grimshaw calling him 'Christian' then: Transfermarkt > Free Agents > Position: Forwards > Winger > Free Agent since: 2019 (called Christian).

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you...Christian Sørensen.

329756362_ScreenShot2019-07-07at10_16_32.png.925e1865f993f514ad6578525c36f857.png

Maybe?

Christian-S%C3%B8rensen-optakt.png

Edited by capt_oats

Just to pick up on Robbo’s quote of hopefully signing another couple of wide players by the end of the week, I wonder if we’ve now had an answer from Forest and Gboly about a return? His instagram has been fairly quiet recently so can only assume he’s back from his holiday hanging around with Nigerian rappers in Lagos. 

I know he was well out the picture at Forest but hopefully O’Niell leaving them doesn’t put a spanner in the works of any return on the chance the new manager wants a look at him. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

There's yer Robinson shutting down the "Frear's re-signing" patter.

Also better shot of the trialist in the spoiler below:

Reveal hidden contents

536966974_ScreenShot2019-07-07at09_58_47.thumb.png.29e3a5dbb492a9edc0444c20c3547804.png

If @Antiochas III is right with Grimshaw calling him 'Christian' then: Transfermarkt > Free Agents > Position: Forwards > Winger > Free Agent since: 2019 (called Christian).

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you...Christian Sørensen.

329756362_ScreenShot2019-07-07at10_16_32.png.925e1865f993f514ad6578525c36f857.png

Maybe?

Christian-S%C3%B8rensen-optakt.png

I'm glad I am not the only one who on finding out the guys name was Christian, googled wingers named Christian! 

That wasn't a fruitful search as I ended up looking at some bible bashing Americans with fairly fascist views. 

Transfermarkt was my next call and I came up with the same man, (just didn't have the courage to post the fact that I spent my Sunday morning looking at wingers named Christian) 

However seeing your post has given me the confidence to out myself aswell. I bow down to your superior YouTube foraging though! 

Edited by weemac