Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, Swello said:

On Scott - I thought he looked *very* comfortable against lower division opposition - he could probably make a big dent in the Championship if we decided it was worthwhile to send him out for half a season...

We sent Maguire on loan to QOS last season with Alan Johnston and Sandy Clark the coaching staff down there we could do worse than sending Scott and Semple  there till the mid season break. IMO is what both these youngsters need to bring on their development 

31 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

We sent Maguire on loan to QOS last season with Alan Johnston and Sandy Clark the coaching staff down there we could do worse than sending Scott and Semple  there till the mid season break. IMO is what both these youngsters need to bring on their development 

Naysmith was the manager at QOS when we loaned Maguire out. Pretty sure it was Naysmith who loaned Dom Thomas as well, IIRC there was a connection via McFadden (at the time). I'm not sure what our relationship's like with Johnston (though his son is in our Academy, so that's something).

When it comes to development loans I think one of the key parts is the manager/coach that's taking the player. We were very complimentary of the job Goodwin did with Hastie at Alloa for example.

Edited by capt_oats

Guest Pampered Adolescent

Exactly ten years ago 16th July, 2009, The Albo 10 was formed. Just ten of us witnessed Flamurtari vs. Motherwell in Vlore, Albania. A quite remarkable event, which created enormous levels of seethe over on Steelmen Online.

The origins of the ten were:

Scotland: 4

England: 2

Hong Kong: 2

Hungary: 2

On Saturday, myself and Tight John McVeigh is a tit 'celebrated' by taking in Young Lions versus Brunei, on a plastic pitch far less shitey than Clyde's or the Accies.

Thought all of youse should know this important anniversary.....

Cheers

PA

Rumours that Josh Magennis was spotted at Fir Park. Even seen a tweet saying we have agreed a fee with Bolton and are talking terms. 

That said there is the Northern Ireland connection. There were rumours of him interesting Rangers and I would imagine his wage demands would be above anything we could pay. 

That said the Bolton fans are ecstatic he is leaving and even said they would drive him north.... 

A big steaming pile of cowsh1t I would imagine. 

I can't see it myself. Not that i'm too bothered as I've always thought Magennis was a bit of a donkey.

Going by his stats on Wiki, he averages a goal roughly every 6 games or so. Over a league campaign that equates to about 6 goals a season. If we wanted a big battering ram of a striker who runs about a lot but doesn't score enough, we would have been as well keeping hold of Curtis Main.

Decent bit in the Guardian today about our Social Media Strategy with lots of quotes from Grant Russell

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/17/football-clubs-social-media-berwick-rangers-bayern-munich-roma-celtic-motherwell?CMP=share_btn_tw

We don’t just pursue likes and retweets for hollow satisfaction. There’s a strategy to it where we are trying to push the brand, build a personality around our club and players, and tell their stories. We do that to try and make them and us more engaging to fans, and also to potential brand partners, so they’ve a clear idea of what they are getting involved in and if it ties into their story too. Social media opens up new opportunities for us to attract partners that typically wouldn’t be at the table. When we tell them our engagement-to-follower ratio on our top 10 videos each month is routinely three times bigger than any major club, or when we show them our access to players and willingness to try something different, then we become appealing.

Coupled with this tweet

It looks like there won't be running commentary on Twitter because the club see it as a marketing platform. Flooding it on a Wednesday evening with updates from the reserves is going to lose followers. Twitter is for Viral Content only. If only we all had smashed the retweet button when Connor Sammon came on as a sub we would still be getting twitter match updates.

Yep - I'm actually more disappointed than I expected to be about them stopping doing full match coverage on Twitter. 

I fully accept that as a guy in his forties, who uses a chronological 3rd party Twitter client, I'm simply not who it's aimed at in any way - but following games that I can't make on twitter has been a huge part of my routine since they started tweeting and I will genuinely miss it. 

Given the choice between a well-meaning amatuer audio commentary or a professional play by play on twitter, twitter has won every single time for me over the years. The thought of having to use a website to get this content feels innefficient and retrograde. 

To prove why it's not aimed at me - I have never once considered interacting in any way with twitter commentary as it seemed utterly self-evident that it was a broadcast for the 90 mins, not a conversation. I wouldn't even know *how* to "engage" with the news that we've won a direct free kick - but it certainly interests me. 

I sincerely hope that - just as the forums fulfilled a need when the club's communication didn't meet our needs in the past - that someone does a normal twitter commentary as an alternative to the shite bare bones effort being proposed. 

Lastly, I hope we're not getting too pretentious around the socials or jumping any approaching sharks as there is so much brilliant stuff there. 

Edited by Swello

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Yep - I'm actually more disappointed than I expected to be about them stopping doing full match coverage on Twitter. 

I fully accept that as a guy in his forties, who uses a chronological 3rd party Twitter client, I'm simply not who it's aimed at in any way - but following games that I can't make on twitter has been a huge part of my routine since they started tweeting and I will genuinely miss it. 

Given the choice between a well-meaning amatuer audio commentary or a professional play by play on twitter, twitter has won every single time for me over the years. The thought of having to use a website to get this content feels innefficient and retrograde. 

To prove why it's not aimed at me - I have never once considered interacting in any way with twitter commentary as it seemed utterly self-evident that it was a broadcast for the 90 mins, not a conversation. I wouldn't even know *how* to "engage" with the news that we've won a direct free kick - but it certainly interests me. 

I sincerely hope that - just as the forums fulfilled a need when the club's communication didn't meet our needs in the past - that someone does a normal twitter commentary as an alternative to the shite bare bones effort being proposed. 

Lastly, I hope we're not getting too pretentious around the socials or jumping any approaching sharks as there is so much brilliant stuff there. 

Aye. I'll happily concede I'm probably not their target market but using Twitter to check up on a match I'm not at was a regular thing however I would say that I'd taken to turning off notifications on a match-day afternoon whether I was at the game or not and a large part of that was the volume of the regular play-by-play updates coming through so I can definitely understand the thinking behind the change in approach.

As you say, at no point have I ever 'engaged' with a post that we'd won a corner but I'd have looked at it all the same. On the other hand, did I just 'like' a 14 second clip of Richard Tait doing weights...

giphy.gif

That said I've found myself giving Twitter a heavy swerve recently because...f**k me the world is full of staggering morons.

Edited by capt_oats

I used to like putting over 2.5 goals on the under 20s a few years ago when I went back to college on Tuesday nights after work. Refreshing the twitter commentary that made every game sound amazing when college got a bit boring was great.

I get that there may be pointless things posted but I don’t want things to disappear like “an excellent save” “a good opportunity” or even the subs that have been made in a game. Not just goal updates. I liked the after post match interviews with the players I hope they don’t get rid of that. Has been disappointing not to hear quick interviews from every new signing, or updates from the manger etc. I understand getting rid of stupid things that aren’t essential and I like the recent videos with players for example Hylton and Donnelly. 

Edited by supermarv

Super-soraway Sun reporting Reece McAlear to Norwich is a thing.

Annoying as, like McKinstry, he's someone we've not had a chance to see but I wonder if the shambles that Cadden's summer seems to be turning into will be a factor with this. McAlear's out of contract at the end of the season so we'll be in a position to actually negotiate a deal. As we've seen with Cadden the whole being "protected" by training compensation perhaps isn't the sure thing we thought it might be.

Given the real possibility that we're unlikely to get anywhere near what we thought we'd get for Cadden in compo a move to Norwich for McAlear might plug that gap. Also, we're not going to stand in the way of a move to an EPL club (if he fancies it).

Edited by capt_oats

7 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

It’s good and it’s bad. We’re obviously doing something right now big teams want shitloads of our youth players but I’d like to see some of them play before they boost.

Absolutely this. He is a big unit of a lad and I would have liked to have seen him develop like Turnbull and potentially reap even bigger rewards down the line. 

However he only has a year left on his contract and he may well have intimated he will not sign an extension. Not saying that is the case but I guess the club cannot take the risk. 

Despite Turnbull deal falling through for now and reduced compensation for Cadden we still have Hastie money to come and McKinstry funds also which should add up to £500k+. We still have a buffer from the 2 cup finals so unless I am missing something we don’t need to sell. 

McAleer has at least been involved in 1st team squads in pre season. He is one I would like to stay.......

1 hour ago, Radford said:

What's the story with Cadden?

Short version is that no one of note seems to want to pay the training compensation for him.

Longer version:

The only clubs who have been linked with him are League 1 sides Oxford, Sunderland, Doncaster and Columbus Crew in MLS. I'm not sure about Sunderland but both Oxford and Doncaster are graded as being a Category below Motherwell which greatly reduces the amount they'd be due to pay. The story in the press via their manager is that Oxford have already agreed "a fee" with us but according to Burrows it basically amounted to us telling them we'd expect the full amount of training comp per FIFA's guidelines. MLS clubs have started introducing training compensation as of April this year but it's a complete unknown as they're not graded.

According to bits and pieces in the press Columbus Crew seem to think they'd be the lowest possible category and would be able to get Cadden for a nominal amount of less than £100k.

Based on the schedule below if he was to move to a club the same category as us (ie: Cat II) we'd have been due €600k. Oxford are Cat III so were he to have moved there permanently, it would have been €300k. If he goes to MLS it could end up being a completely nominal amount.

1590407644_ScreenShot2019-07-04at09_38_42.png.3ed0e181544cc1fe6d88528945e5c1e2.png

Cadden was photographed at an Oxford friendly last week alongside Elliott Frear however their local press and Sky Sports News seem to be under the impression that he's signing for Oxford on loan.

This is from a local news piece with Oxford's manager hilariously "conceding defeat" in an attempt to sign Stuart Findlay:

It is thought Sheffield United’s Ched Evans remains a possibility fill the vacancy up front, while the trio of bids are in addition to hopes they can complete a loan move for Chris Cadden.

It should be pointed out that as yet Cadden hasn't actually been confirmed as having signed with anyone but the assumption seems to be that he's signed for Columbus Crew. However as I say, there's been no announcement on their side.

Tbh, aside from shafting us in terms of the compensation I can't blame him for looking at MLS as an option. Andy Rose is currently on just shy of $200k basic with Vancouver while Sam Nicholson and Danny Wilson are on $300k and $500k respectively with Colorado.

Edited by capt_oats