Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Hi Yassin, I'd just like to say that I really appreciate this completely petty and unnecessary beef. 

All we need is for Oxford to be consumed in a plague of locusts and we'll call it a successful week.

It's my goal to eventually have a grudge against every team in the English lower leagues.

Some of our fans would be raging if the kit had no sponsor. God forbid that grown adults don't get to walk about with the logo for a betting company / estate agent / budget airline / DIY store plastered across their chest.

Guest Pampered Adolescent
6 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Someone on SO had said they'd heard a rumour that our sponsor wouldn't be putting their name on the strip which sounded highly unlikely but maybe Paddy Power are starting a trend (or sponsoring us).

Well, last summer we copied Paddy Powers' 'get foreigners to try and talk Scottish'; PP was former Engerland manager SGE, ourselves, well, just some young laddies. Have to admit that PP was by far the funnier.....

On 18/07/2019 at 07:58, capt_oats said:

Short version is that no one of note seems to want to pay the training compensation for him.

Longer version:

The only clubs who have been linked with him are League 1 sides Oxford, Sunderland, Doncaster and Columbus Crew in MLS. I'm not sure about Sunderland but both Oxford and Doncaster are graded as being a Category below Motherwell which greatly reduces the amount they'd be due to pay. The story in the press via their manager is that Oxford have already agreed "a fee" with us but according to Burrows it basically amounted to us telling them we'd expect the full amount of training comp per FIFA's guidelines. MLS clubs have started introducing training compensation as of April this year but it's a complete unknown as they're not graded.

According to bits and pieces in the press Columbus Crew seem to think they'd be the lowest possible category and would be able to get Cadden for a nominal amount of less than £100k.

Based on the schedule below if he was to move to a club the same category as us (ie: Cat II) we'd have been due €600k. Oxford are Cat III so were he to have moved there permanently, it would have been €300k. If he goes to MLS it could end up being a completely nominal amount.

1590407644_ScreenShot2019-07-04at09_38_42.png.3ed0e181544cc1fe6d88528945e5c1e2.png

Cadden was photographed at an Oxford friendly last week alongside Elliott Frear however their local press and Sky Sports News seem to be under the impression that he's signing for Oxford on loan.

This is from a local news piece with Oxford's manager hilariously "conceding defeat" in an attempt to sign Stuart Findlay:

It should be pointed out that as yet Cadden hasn't actually been confirmed as having signed with anyone but the assumption seems to be that he's signed for Columbus Crew. However as I say, there's been no announcement on their side.

Tbh, aside from shafting us in terms of the compensation I can't blame him for looking at MLS as an option. Andy Rose is currently on just shy of $200k basic with Vancouver while Sam Nicholson and Danny Wilson are on $300k and $500k respectively with Colorado.

Probably putting two and two together to make 100 here, but is it possible that Columbus could be signing him and then loaning him out to Oxford, basically as a way of shafting Motherwell in terms of compensation? This sort of thing has happened before with Spurs shafting Man Utd over Zeki Fryers and the Andy Webster stuff with Wigan.

30 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Probably putting two and two together to make 100 here, but is it possible that Columbus could be signing him and then loaning him out to Oxford, basically as a way of shafting Motherwell in terms of compensation? This sort of thing has happened before with Spurs shafting Man Utd over Zeki Fryers and the Andy Webster stuff with Wigan.

Nah, I think that sounds pretty much accurate tbh.

It's weird since it sounds like Oxford had agreed to pay the compensation (Around £250k-ish give or take IIRC). So even if Columbus get him for a nominal amount you'd think they'd still want some sort of renumeration for their involvement.

Where it gets interesting I suppose is how FIFA end up categorising the MLS sides and establishing compensation. If there ends up being relative parity then they could be jumping through hoops here to save £50k or something.

For all the tinfoil-hat heads out there Oxford's version of Steelmen/Kickback etc has a sensational twist that suggests that he'll sign for Sunderland in January:

The US club aren’t able to announce him signing for them yet. Therefore, he can’t be unveiled as our loan signing, yet. 

Cadden is a deal that is in place and will happen. 

Re: favouring us over Sunderland. That may well have something to do with the decision behind him joining them in Jan ‘20. If my information remains correct, subject to him not being a complete flop with us, he will still move to Sunderland in January.

In that scenario; Cadden signs with Columbus for a nominal fee, is loaned out to Oxford for 6 months (for reasons that aren't entirely clear) then Sunderland presumably chuck some cash at Columbus to sign him in January (but for less than the €600k they'd presumably be on the hook for if they signed for them just now).

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Some of our fans would be raging if the kit had no sponsor. God forbid that grown adults don't get to walk about with the logo for a betting company / estate agent / budget airline / DIY store plastered across their chest.

This literally happened last year, didn't it?

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Nah, I think that sounds pretty much accurate tbh.

It's weird since it sounds like Oxford had agreed to pay the compensation (Around £250k-ish give or take IIRC). So even if Columbus get him for a nominal amount you'd think they'd still want some sort of renumeration for their involvement.

Where it gets interesting I suppose is how FIFA end up categorising the MLS sides and establishing compensation. If there ends up being relative parity then they could be jumping through hoops here to save £50k or something.

For all the tinfoil-hat heads out there Oxford's version of Steelmen/Kickback etc has a sensational twist that suggests that he'll sign for Sunderland in January:

In that scenario; Cadden signs with Columbus for a nominal fee, is loaned out to Oxford for 6 months (for reasons that aren't entirely clear) then Sunderland presumably chuck some cash at Columbus to sign him in January (but for less than the €600k they'd presumably be on the hook for if they signed for them just now).

All sounds a bit shady/unethical but given we've exploited cross-border transfer loopholes as much as anyone over the years, I guess we've got limited grounds to moan about it...

22 minutes ago, Swello said:

All sounds a bit shady/unethical but given we've exploited cross-border transfer loopholes as much as anyone over the years, I guess we've got limited grounds to moan about it...

It is nothing like that.

The English FA decided to give their own clubs an extra year of protection on young players. No other Football Association needs to follow their rules.

If Columbus/Sunderland/Oxford are concocting a scheme to get around FIFA rules on solidarity payments that brings the whole notion of training compensation into question. Essentially teams will be allowed to launder players through tiny clubs.

I thought Declan Gallagher was immense. Seedorf and Hylton have bags of pace. Liam Donnelly looked excellent in midfield. James Scott still has a lot to learn but took his 2 goals well.

A good night all round.

Obviously Hylton and Seedorf will grab most of the headlines and rightly so but I thought Ilic looked a player when he came on as well.

Maybe not as quick or direct as the other two but intelligent and technically very good. Fitness wise, he looks miles behind(understandably) but I think he’ll give us a different kind of option in the wide areas once he’s fully fit.

39 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Are we...good?

Looks hopeful but obviously it's dangerous to read too much into the betfred groups. We might still put in the kind of clueless, leaden performances that we did against Stranraer and Clyde (that were a very accurate signpost to the season up to the Winter break) - but I'd be surprised TBH.

I've also seen enough to know that there are some players there that I'd like to watch, so that's nice.