Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

I read in an online article in the Herald Robinson talking about looking to extend his contract beyond the end of the season, which I would be all in favour of.

Also for the 1st time a direct quote stating that Gboly will not be returning as he has told Robinson he is looking at other options.  Hope none of them involve a team in the same league. I liked Gboly but hopefully we have replaced him with other options. 

Full quote here:

One man who won’t be coming back to Fir Park it seems though is Gboly Ariyibi, who spent the second half of last season with Motherwell on loan from Nottingham Forest.

“I wouldn’t think that is a possibility, no,” said Robinson.

“I’ve tried very, very hard, but Gboly has indicated to me that he is looking at other things.

“We’ve got wide players in, and I’m very happy with the players we have.”

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

“I’ve tried very, very hard, but Gboly has indicated to me that he is looking at other things".

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Farewell, Gboly!  #GBNF

Apologies to Graeme McGarry for basically just C&P his piece but here's Robinson's quote re: his contract.

Meanwhile, Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson says that he had no contact with Doncaster Rovers after being linked with a move to the English League One side.

Rovers have since appointed Darren Moore as their new boss, but Robinson says he wants to extend his contract at Fir Park rather than move anywhere else, having started talks with the club over a new deal.

“I never spoke to anybody [else],” Robinson said. “There’s no reason for me to be looking elsewhere at this moment in time.

“I want to get things sorted, but we’re in the very early stages of that and I’m sure it will get sorted out. We’ve spoken briefly and that is ongoing as it stands at the minute. My contract is up at the end of the season and of course I’d like to get it sorted soon. I’m very happy here.

“It would be nice to get a bit of security and to give that bit of security to everyone else going forward.”

Having seen nothing of us since the Livi game last season it was my first look at most of the new guys- quality of opposition and time of season taken into account. Was particularly interested to see how our new front three got on as it was my biggest concern this summer.

Unfortunately, Long got knocked clean out inside 7 seconds which scuppered things a bit. Thought Ilic looked neat and tidy but didn’t offer any real threat before tiring. Agree with whoever said that Cole looked a little lost out wide and it will be interesting to see if he gets a shot through the middle on Friday(assuming concussion protocol will rule Long out).

The increased tempo in the 2nd half, Queens tiring and the two subs all played their part in what was a dominant 2nd half display. Hylton looked to have a bit of magic about him, some lovely bits of skill and cracking finish for his goal. Seedorf was very direct, lightning quick and he also took his goal well. 

Queens caused us a few problems 1st half but 2nd half was virtually attack v defence so it’s hard to gauge our new look back 4 and Donnelly in front. 

Finally, Allan Campbell was the best player on the pitch today. He kind of got lost in amongst the Turnbull/Hastie hype of last season but what an excellent wee player he is when he’s fit and on form. 

Edited by Casagolda

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

He kind of got lost in amongst the Turnbull/Hastie hype of last season but what an excellent wee player he is when he’s fit and on form. 

Was saying much the same at the game today. The club haven't pushed the Hype Button on Campbell so far - but if he starts this season the way he finished last, he'll be the next one for the tearful farewell IMO. 

Was saying much the same at the game today. The club haven't pushed the Hype Button on Campbell so far - but if he starts this season the way he finished last, he'll be the next one for the tearful farewell IMO. 

I don’t know so much. I think (hope) Campbell could do a Lasley and other than a slight sojourn spend the rest of career at Fir Park.

Whilst we Motherwell fans love him and appreciate what he does, he’s not a Turnbull to score 15 goals or 10 assist. He doesn’t play DM and run the tempo in that position, imo however he should play there as I think he would be a stand out.

He’s not tall, he’s not fast, he doesn’t spray passes around. He’s a whole hearted warrior who covers every blade of grass, but is he someone that a team would want to spend some cash on. Hmm I don’t think so. Obviously he would garner interest due to his stats but I’m not sure he would be a first choice transfer target.

I think we should extend his deal, make him vice captain to Tait and see how it goes. With hopefully making him the captain.

For what it’s worth I absolutely adore the lad and have been raving about him since his time in the youth squads but I don’t think he would be someone who is majorly sellable asset.

Odds on me drunkenly buying a Motherwell top with Seedorf on the back have dramatically shortened after seeing Sherwin's goal celebration.

It’ll be odds-on once you see his post match interview.

Seedorf may be the fastest thing I've ever seen. Hylton looks pacey and powerful, similar to Marv before he moved on. Very promising, I hope we go with Cole in the middle with Seedorf and Hylton wide vs Morton

Seedorf may be the fastest thing I've ever seen. Hylton looks pacey and powerful, similar to Marv before he moved on. Very promising, I hope we go with Cole in the middle with Seedorf and Hylton wide vs Morton
Seedorf > Daley > Bolt?

I’d probably go for the above as well on Friday. 

Whether or not they’ll have the same impact playing from the start I don’t know but I reckon both have earned a start after their 2nd half performances on Saturday.

I like Scott and he had some nice link up play at times on Saturday, especially when Hylton came on- those two plus Carroll were playing some nice stuff down the left- but I’m not sure he’s quite there yet. Cole didn’t have much impact playing on the left on Saturday, would like to see him through the middle to get a better look at him. 

Will also be interesting to see if Semple keeps his place. I thought he struggled to find his feet a bit early doors(so did most of them tbf) but he really grew into it. Looked very comfortable and confident on the ball second half but he actually ended up playing a lot deeper than I thought he would. 

Edited by Casagolda

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Will also be interesting to see if Semple keeps his place. I thought he struggled to find his feet a bit early doors(so did most of them tbf) but he really grew into it. Looked very comfortable and confident on the ball second half but he actually ended up playing a lot deeper than I thought he would. 

Semple's an interesting one for me as well. Obviously he's a name that's been heard over the past few years off the back of the Liverpool, Man City and Spurs hype there's not actually been much seen of him. Where Turnbull had about 3 seasons pinging the ball into the top bin from 25 yards for the 20s and generally running the show in midfield before he established himself in the first team it's only really since Ross has appeared on the scene that Semple seems to have found a role (Ross alluded to as much in the MFC Podcast interview).

Everyone knew what Turnbull was about by the time he broke into the side (same with Hastie) in that respect I'm interested to see what type of player Semple is.

I'd be lying if I'd said I'd seen much of Semple but the bits and pieces I have seen he looks quite robust and I have to say his apparent enthusiasm for just taking digs, first time, with zero fucks seeming to be given is something I can definitely get behind.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Kind of related, it's interesting that one of retrospective moans re: Turnbull and Hastie was that they weren't used in the group stages of the Betfred (for they would surely have signed their new deals straight away if they had). That was both Semple and Scott in the team on Saturday (albeit Scott was subbed on).

Edited by capt_oats

26 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Semple's an interesting one for me as well. Obviously he's a name that's been heard over the past few years off the back of the Liverpool, Man City and Spurs hype there's not actually been much seen of him. Where Turnbull had about 3 seasons pinging the ball into the top bin from 25 yards for the 20s and generally running the show in midfield before he established himself it's only really since Ross has appeared on the scene that Semple seems to have found a role (Ross alluded to as much in the MFC Podcast interview).

Everyone knew what Turnbull was about by the time he broke into the side (same with Hastie) in that respect I'm interested to see what type of player Semple is.

I'd be lying if I'd said I'd seen much of Semple but the bits and pieces I have seen he looks quite robust and I have to say his apparent enthusiasm for just taking digs, first time, with zero fucks seeming to be given is something I can definitely get behind.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Kind of related, it's interesting that one of retrospective moans re: Turnbull and Hastie was that they weren't used in the group stages of the Betfred (for they would surely have signed their new deals straight away if they had). That was both Semple and Scott in the team on Saturday (albeit Scott was subbed on).

On Scott - I thought he looked *very* comfortable against lower division opposition - he could probably make a big dent in the Championship if we decided it was worthwhile to send him out for half a season...