Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

His agent is/was a literal beast.

3 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Very much a was now, as he's very very deid is he no?

Aye got done then topped himself

2 hours ago, Swello said:

Who knows, honestly. Was promising, played a few first team games and did pretty well and then jumped at a chance of playing in Brighton's youth team (much to the chagrin of MArk McGhee at the time) - so we have no idea of his development. I doubt you'd be getting a dud though...

Brighton isn't that big a place. I love the idea of an absolutely fizzing Mark McGhee running into Ben Hall at Tescos.

25 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

That Alan Nixon is tweeting about Treva being linked with Swindon.

I've wondered about Trev tbh. Out of contract at the end of the season, Gillespie's established as #1, I'd have thought if an opportunity came up for Carson to earn a bit more and get regular games then we couldn't reasonably stand in his way especially as we'd previously kb'd Celtic's approach.

15 hours ago, ZX1886 said:

Is it to early for the “Robbo out!” posts???

You jest, however there were genuinely folk around me outraged that we hadn't just turned up and swatted Livi aside yesterday. A bit of reality check for players and fans alike.

First real test for our new look midfield and it’s fair to say they struggled to make much of impact. Still not convinced we’ve adequately replaced Gorrin and his ability to build things from deep. 

Our front three showed flashes of individual ability but it just didn’t ever really click, regardless of which three were on the pitch. Still think we’re a decent centre forward short to link the whole thing together. 

Of course we’ve not seen much of Sloth or Cole/Long yet so they could well be the answer but I’d say they were my two main areas of concern.

On the positive side, I thought Carroll had an excellent game at left back. Felt Gallagher was pretty dominant in both boxes and Gillespie made several big saves when called upon. Last time we were there we shipped two soft goals from set pieces but we stood up the aerial bombardment quite well for the most part yesterday.

Overall a point and a clean sheet wasn’t the worst result, guess it did just feel like a bit of a damp squib after all the Betfred hype. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I've wondered about Trev tbh. Out of contract at the end of the season, Gillespie's established as #1, I'd have thought if an opportunity came up for Carson to earn a bit more and get regular games then we couldn't reasonably stand in his way especially as we'd previously kb'd Celtic's approach.

Was Carson approached before they went for Bain?

What a sliding doors moment for his career thats been.

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was Carson approached before they went for Bain?

What a sliding doors moment for his career thats been.

It was around the same time. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42872223

Craig Gordon picked up a long term injury in the 1-0 win against Hibs shortly before the window shut.

Clearly I've no idea what the timeline was or whether Carson was a preferred option but I've a feeling given the unexpected nature of Gordon's injury and the limited window Celtic had to find a replacement they basically cast their net wide and asked around about various 'keepers (of which Carson was one). IIRC they were rumoured to have approached Bogdan along with a few others as well before realising they could get Bain for free rather than pay cash money for an alternative.

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It's weird how soon most of the two cup finals team have moved on in one way or another.  The few months where we signed an entirely new team and bodied half the league feels like more than 2 years ago.

It doesn't to me, mainly because I watch this about 5 times a week

Edited by Swello

20 hours ago, capt_oats said:

It was around the same time. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42872223

Craig Gordon picked up a long term injury in the 1-0 win against Hibs shortly before the window shut.

Clearly I've no idea what the timeline was or whether Carson was a preferred option but I've a feeling given the unexpected nature of Gordon's injury and the limited window Celtic had to find a replacement they basically cast their net wide and asked around about various 'keepers (of which Carson was one). IIRC they were rumoured to have approached Bogdan along with a few others as well before realising they could get Bain for free rather than pay cash money for an alternative.

Carson talked at decent length about it on one of the Si Ferry pods.  Gist of it was that it was all systems go, but our back up plan keeper ended up going to Pittodrie instead of us so we had to pull the plug on Trevor's move.  He was as philosophical as you can be about these things - would have been "life changing" dough, but he also took the view that he might not  have played much (he rates Gordon as the best keeper he's ever trained with) and therefore wouldn't have got the Norn Iron caps he has.

6 minutes ago, Pettigrew said:

Carson talked at decent length about it on one of the Si Ferry pods.  Gist of it was that it was all systems go, but our back up plan keeper ended up going to Pittodrie instead of us so we had to pull the plug on Trevor's move.  He was as philosophical as you can be about these things - would have been "life changing" dough, but he also took the view that he might not  have played much (he rates Gordon as the best keeper he's ever trained with) and therefore wouldn't have got the Norn Iron caps he has.

Cheers, I generally give Si Ferry stuff a heavy swerve so hadn't listened to it.

So going by that info our alternate was Freddie Woodman https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Aberdeen_F.C._season

Given we brought in Gillespie as we thought there would be a decent chance Carson might move on last summer you'd like to think that we'll have options for a back-up to come in if there's interest in him this time round. Especially if an opportunity comes along where Carson will get a wage bump and games.

Also, if we're still in the market to add a bit of "quality in the forward area" then having budget tied up in an international goalkeeper sitting on the bench probably isn't an ideal scenario (although it's clearly a positive to have two very good first team goalkeepers at the club).

55 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Cheers, I generally give Si Ferry stuff a heavy swerve so hadn't listened to it.

So going by that info our alternate was Freddie Woodman https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Aberdeen_F.C._season

Given we brought in Gillespie as we thought there would be a decent chance Carson might move on last summer you'd like to think that we'll have options for a back-up to come in if there's interest in him this time round. Especially if an opportunity comes along where Carson will get a wage bump and games.

Also, if we're still in the market to add a bit of "quality in the forward area" then having budget tied up in an international goalkeeper sitting on the bench probably isn't an ideal scenario (although it's clearly a positive to have two very good first team goalkeepers at the club).

Understandable on giving it the swerve - it was the 22 Jan episode of the Keeping the Ball on the ground show; worth a listen to that part alone if you can bear it. 

And yes, Woodman was the fella.  

If we’re prepared to let Carson go, which in itself seems fair enough, them I’m surprised we’ve let Ferguson leave on loan as well.

Unless of course the long term plan is to give him him his chance as number one next season if/when Gillespie leaves in the summer. In which case getting him some more game time makes sense. He seems to be getting a decent write up from Linfield fans based on his displays in Europe so far anyway.

Canny wait to get a peek at Well Fans II when we let Carson go on a free transfer...

Its absolutely absurd that we have a goalkeeper as good as Carson as our no.2, but Gillespie has earned the right to keep the gloves. He has been brilliant since he came into the side. 

I have no doubt we'll do the right thing re Carson. Many, probably the vast majority, of players would have kicked up a monumental fuss if we had blocked a move to Celtic for them, so Trev deserves enormous respect for how he handled the situation. Ability wise, I'd probably have him in the top 3 or 4 for goalkeepers we've had at FP in my lifetime. When you consider the health issues he's had, I'm sure he'll be looking to play every week at this point in his career.  If he's not going to that with us just now, we should allow him to go and get it elsewhere.