Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Sinclair was a dive yes but Mcgegor no....

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/michael-stewart-performs-celtic-penalty-11618509

Didn’t help that the only highlights of the game was from one camera which showed f**k all and whipped Well fans in a deeper frenzy until footage surfaced from another camera a good few days later showed it was a penalty as seen in the article. 

I remember the whole football fraternity changing their mind back and forward as each new angle was shown, the final and best shot was actually filmed from the Celtic end and confirmed McGregor to be guilty.

4 minutes ago, ropy said:

I remember the whole football fraternity changing their mind back and forward as each new angle was shown, the final and best shot was actually filmed from the Celtic end and confirmed McGregor to be guilty.

Sorry but the link I posted has a twitter video literally shows the Roses arm and knee going in to the back of Mcgregor.

34 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I'm also not really sure I want to pin our goalscoring hopes on someone who's been out for a year and has a knee made of shite and sellotape now. 

One thing I'd say is that with the write up Gerrard's given to the press about Murphy's fitness and performance levels it's going to be pretty difficult for them to ask for any sort of meaningful contribution to his wages as it's pretty clear from what he's saying is that any team taking him is doing Rangers (and Murphy) a favour to get him fit again.

If he's available on a nominal wage that potentially wouldn't impact on us bringing someone else in then I can see why we'd be open to it tbh. If we'd be pinning our hopes on his knee no longer being made of Weetabix then less so (from my POV)...

Edited by capt_oats

25 minutes ago, Baldie1980 said:

just popped by to ask if you guys would like curtis main back,you can have him for free and I'll personally pay his wages

Judging by what i see at Livingston last week and Fir park yesterday, yes I'll have him back. 

Liam Donnelly’s already matched Main’s goal tally from last season after 5 games.

You can only applaud his agent for somehow managing to get him a wage rise and move up the footballing ladder. 

Edited by Casagolda

Just caught up on the day’s scores. Anybody know how Hastie got on today?

Y’know he’s only going to get 4 games this season and there all going to be against us, resulting in him scoring 15 goals before signing for Airdrie in July 2020.

"Well Fans II does Nazi Sympathising" has been an interesting development this evening.

Tbf Well Fans ll hasn’t made me laugh this much since the guy on it last year with the ladyboys in Thailand...

15 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Liam Donnelly’s already matched Main’s goal tally from last season after 5 games.

Unrelated to Main but...The Liam Donnelly Midfield Experiment then? I'm guessing he's done enough to have established his place as a midfielder (the OS should probably switch Donnelly and Grimshaw on their first team squad list)?

When it clicked on Saturday the midfield was very good IMO and until the 3rd went in they were competitive. As @Swello said on the match thread for the first 35mins the tempo was excellent especially as they were up against a midfield of McGregor, Brown and Ntcham which is probably as good a midfield as they'll line up against this season.

Also massive tangent but given everyone's talking about strikers, it was only a brief cameo (before Scott came on) but it was interesting to see Cole replace Long as #9 and actually get in behind Celtic's back 4 a couple of times.

Edited by capt_oats

Was I the only one then that thought Long showed a bit of promise on Saturday?

I actually felt that first half hour or so when we were on top he was quite impressive. He dropped off to link up the play, had 3 or 4 lovely lay offs, showed a good turn of pace and good movement to spin in behind. Think the corner that led to the first goal was from him getting in behind the Celtic defence and then there was also the ‘penalty’ shout that you’ve definitely seen given. 

Of course the downside was he looked burst by half time and one speculative long range half volley aside, he didn’t really look like scoring.

I mean don't get me wrong, I wasn’t blown away or anything but I saw to think he’ll have something to offer this season. Definitely needs to get fitter though, same with Seedorf and a few others. 

25 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Was I the only one then that thought Long showed a bit of promise on Saturday?

I actually felt that first half hour or so when we were on top he was quite impressive. He dropped off to link up the play, had 3 or 4 lovely lay offs, showed a good turn of pace and good movement to spin in behind. Think the corner that led to the first goal was from him getting in behind the Celtic defence and then there was also the ‘penalty’ shout that you’ve definitely seen given. 

Of course the downside was he looked burst by half time and one speculative long range half volley aside, he didn’t really look like scoring.

I mean don't get me wrong, I wasn’t blown away or anything but I saw to think he’ll have something to offer this season. Definitely needs to get fitter though, same with Seedorf and a few others. 

Aye, for me Long was a big part of the press working as well as it did in the opening third. He seems far more mobile in comparison to Main who was playing the same role last season and I could be wrong but I don't recall many free kicks being awarded against him for "physicality" either.

As you say the drawback is that for all the plus points in terms of him utterly hounding Scott Bain he never really looked like getting into positions to actually score.

Edited by capt_oats

49 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Unrelated to Main but...The Liam Donnelly Midfield Experiment then? I'm guessing he's done enough to have established his place as a midfielder (the OS should probably switch Donnelly and Grimshaw on their first team squad list)?

After being at the cup games, Livi and Saturday's game - I've got a huge feeling of "too early to tell" at the moment - and Donnelly is squarely in that bracket. He has actually looked better in some aspects than I was expecting (his distribution especially) - and poorer in others (the defensive side of his game has not been great). The bottom line is that I think we need to persist for now as we did get a glimpse of a good, well balanced midfield for 30 mins on Saturday.

On the subject of "too early to tell" - the dangers of trying to quickly integrate a tractor's worth of signings was there for all to see in both league games. There is clearly a huge gap in English/Foreign players' perceptions of our league and the reality. At one strage in the first half on Saturday when there was a pause for a free kick, Hylton, Long and (especially) Seedorf were all standing looking totally burst (and probably a bit dazed by what was going on) - it will have been a huge kick up the arse for them you'd hope.

For all that the team that got us to cup finals wasn't easy on the eye - they were fit as f**k and able to chase teams about all day (livi did it to us last week actually) - and that is what the priority needs to be for the new boys if we are to actually be able to play the way that we all enjoyed in the first half.

It’ll be interesting to see how Sloth fits into all this. We’ve not seen much so far but you get the impression he’s perhaps a bit more ‘continental’ in his approach i.e. a bit slower paced. As much as our all action style of a couple of years ago was effective for a bit, we needed someone to put their foot on the ball now and again. With the current squad you could argue we have Polworth, Sloth and Turnbull so we’re relatively well placed I’d say. As a few others have said, giving us that structure in the centre with something a bit more free form on the wings will be crucial in determining how far we go this year.

Just on Sloth, is he injured at the moment, or just a bit short of fitness?