Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I guess the point I was thinking about was that for all the good players we've had over the years, we've very rarely got a 7 figure fee for them, especially upfront. 

My instinct with Scott is that (as someone said earlier) he is the archetype of a modern forward even if he's raw still and it feels like 1-1.5m is  a bare minimum amount (even if it's near impossible to turn down from our Board's point of view)

10 minutes ago, Well Well said:

The thought of Seedorf starting against Livi gives me the fear

Would imagine Hylton will come back in along with Ilic and it'll either be Long or MacIver depending if the former is fit.

24 minutes ago, Swello said:

Kipre was £750k according to our accounts (and we have sell-on and some add-ons that I assume haven't been triggered yet)

I thought there were clauses with the Kipré one. I always read the £750k on the accounts as an initial payment. I've absolutely no idea whether the clauses have been triggered or if they're guaranteed or not but I'll admit my take was similar to @Desp's.

Edited by capt_oats

Scott reminds me of a younger version of our own Callum Hendry in both his ability and style of play. Obviously several years younger and hasn’t had injuries to slow his development down. Maybe a little less physical than Hendry.

That’s good money for a lad who may or may not improve and become better. You’ve seen it with Turnbull you just never know what hiccups await, he might get injured for a year in the next game. Hopefully he gets game time down there as he’s for the size and speed to be a very useful player, with talent as well.

There’s something a little annoying about losing guys with swagger and confidence on a pitch. The type who play in such a way that they expect to do something every time they get the call. Still at least you’ve got DT23 to come back! (I think that’s his number [emoji23])

It's a gamble either way. 

I mean David Turnbull was a 3.25 million player, with two years left on his deal and fresh off scoring 15 goals from centre midfield in June. We'll now be looking at a guy with one year left, virtually having missed the entire season before. That derails his value somewhat and who's to say the same wouldn't happen for Scott.

Furthermore, I think we had got to the stage (in my opinion) where Turnbull was showing us he was the real deal. Scott is still very raw and whilst he was showing fantastic potential at points, I still think he's one that could go either way - at least to the extent that 1.5 million (if that figure is true) represents good business.

My only gripe is the timing - less than eight hours to find a replacement, after which we'll be relying on players agreeing packages to be released before midnight - or Kenny Miller.

If you want to be really glass half full, you could say we're losing a 19 year old forward, for our second/third record fee when he's only ever scored a league goal against St. Mirren.

I see Hull have just signed Marcus Maddison from Peterborough. At 27, he's likely to be more of a first-team player than Scott would be, hopefully that increases the chances of a loan back.

19 minutes ago, Widge said:

Scott reminds me of a younger version of our own Callum Hendry in both his ability and style of play. Obviously several years younger and hasn’t had injuries to slow his development down. Maybe a little less physical than Hendry.

That’s good money for a lad who may or may not improve and become better. You’ve seen it with Turnbull you just never know what hiccups await, he might get injured for a year in the next game. Hopefully he gets game time down there as he’s for the size and speed to be a very useful player, with talent as well.

There’s something a little annoying about losing guys with swagger and confidence on a pitch. The type who play in such a way that they expect to do something every time they get the call. Still at least you’ve got DT23 to come back! (I think that’s his number emoji23.png)

Lol Callum Hendry.

Gutting to lose Scott. The money seems right to me though. The reality is that transfer prices have spiralled so much it is much more important to secure addons for the next sale than get more up front. Hull are getting £20m for players. So a nice sell on % is huge.

The club will have been doing work behind the scenes to get someone in. This move for Scott wasn't unexpected. Several clubs had been actively scouting him.

In the last year alone we've lost Hastie, McKinstry and now Scott and would have lost Turnbull but for injury.
I think also unless we can bring in another striker before the window shuts tonight then we can forget about 3rd place this season. 

Add Reece MacAlear and Kyle Semple to that list.

David Templeton being released from Burton Albion as he's returning home to Scotland. 

I don't follow a lot of League One football in England, has he been playing much? Seemed to do quite well when he was up here with Accies. 

Or has his knee fell off again? 

6 minutes ago, Desp said:

David Templeton being released from Burton Albion as he's returning home to Scotland. 

I don't follow a lot of League One football in England, has he been playing much? Seemed to do quite well when he was up here with Accies. 

Or has his knee fell off again? 

Named after Davie Cooper isn't he? Must be Motherwell as f**k.

Given Robinson's patter has been that we wouldn't be bringing anyone in unless someone leaves then does Sloth factor in to that (regardless of what happens with Scott)?

Presumably Cornelius or Semple will just take the Danish Prince's spot in the first team squad.

Free up space in the budget for 2 forwards if big JS is also out the door? I mean surely to f**k Sloth's mutual consenting has been on the cards and is something we'd have been planning for (I realise we'll have paid up part of his contract like).

Edited by capt_oats