Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Really enjoyed watching that back. The game had a bit of everything, end to end with a mix of good and really shit goals, Ally Gorrin on a one man mission to get sent off, and a shocking ref decision for the Turnbull/Kusunga penalty incident

Made all the funnier with DT’s 95th min winner to virtually relegate Dundee when we had absolutely hee haw to play for.

I’m pretty sure that was the weekend Accies and St Mirren both scored in injury time too. A bad couple of minutes for the Dee’s that afternoon.

What a sixty seconds Semple had, came on, gave the ball away, mopped it up outside our box, started the move forward, popped up on the right wing, beat his man and crossed the ball - goal (eventually)

5 hours ago, dezz said:

Really enjoyed watching that back. The game had a bit of everything, end to end with a mix of good and really shit goals, Ally Gorrin on a one man mission to get sent off, and a shocking ref decision for the Turnbull/Kusunga penalty incident

Made all the funnier with DT’s 95th min winner to virtually relegate Dundee when we had absolutely hee haw to play for.

I’m pretty sure that was the weekend Accies and St Mirren both scored in injury time too. A bad couple of minutes for the Dee’s that afternoon.

I miss Ally Gorrin trying to execute people with slide tackles while he was on a booking. 

5 hours ago, dezz said:

It was exactly that.

Given it wasn't a notable match (for us at least) not the play-off, not a cup final, not the 6-6 etc I really enjoyed watching the full game back. Carl McHugh taking the game by the scruff when we were down to 10 and as @ropy says that 60 second cameo from Semple - the goal itself gets replayed loads but I'd forgotten that it was a move that started at the edge of our own box.

Folk talk about meaningless end of season games but that was hunners of fun to watch.

Edited by capt_oats

The 2nd half of last season where we were out of the relegation picture pretty quickly and had the young boys and Gboly was one of the most fun times to watch us - we weren't an accomplished team by any stretch but we were great to watch - the absence of any actual big games was an irrelevance.  This (goal-less) minute of football sums us up quite well during that time :)

Edited by Swello

Folk talk about meaningless end of season games but that was hunners of fun to watch.

The final game of the season against Livi a few weeks later was another fine example of the ‘meaningless end of season’ genre. It was like a game of 5’s with folk missing penalties all over the shop.

We were great fun to watch that last 4 months of that season.

Edit : just noticed Swello has posted that highlights above.

14 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Turnbull deciding to start playing for penalties because he can do anything he fucking wants with a football was a really under-rated part of that game. 

The same for the Dundee game although that mesmerised the officials into overturning the decision in favour of a goal kick.

12 hours ago, Swello said:

The 2nd half of last season where we were out of the relegation picture pretty quickly and had the young boys and Gboly was one of the most fun times to watch us - we weren't an accomplished team by any stretch but we were great to watch - the absence of any actual big games was an irrelevance.  This (goal-less) minute of football sums us up quite well during that time :)

Strangely even though they finished 8th and didn’t actually achieve anything, I think I actually preferred that team and the 2nd half of that season to this one. 

The football at Fir Park was as good as it had been for years, in our 9 games at Fir Park we scored 3(or more) goals on 5 occasions. Half the squad every week seemed to be filled with boys from our own youth system as well and their was a genuine excitement about the place.  

You had Turnbull, Campbell, Hastie, Scott & Cadden all regulars and laterally we saw the likes of Semple, Devine & Cornelius given their debuts. As you say we were by no means the finished article especially away from Fir Park but it was exciting to think what they could do if we could keep the core of those youngsters together for another 12-18 months.

Which obviously sadly never happened. 

Edited by Casagolda

Chucking this in here, MFC Podcast with Mo Ross.

The one he did last year was a great listen. Interesting to hear him talking about the young team and the model. Stuff about Cornelius, Semple, Devine etc having regimes to hit target weights and the like.