Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

That's maybe so, however in my opinion hes no better than Tait is, and we let Tait go...

...that said, I'm reasonably happy with the signing as Grimmy is awful
If you're talking about Tait when he first joined and you'd have a point but you're at it if you think that SOD isn't an upgrade on Tait from last season.

As i said, ask the Killie fans what they thought of SOD last season...

...hes younger so aye, ok, he has that but hes just as slow and suspect defensively in my opinion...I'd also be surprised if he is as capable with both feet as Tait is.

I worry that our squad is so big that the manager is going to get himself confused about our best team and our best formation...I also worry that it's taken him until now to recognise that we are short at right back.

8 minutes ago, ropy said:

I assume Paycare haven’t upped their outlay by much so we are down overall on sponsorship monies, where is the next internationalist coming from?

No idea of figures, however the word is that it's reasonably lucrative...the club were prepared to go sponsorless for a season rather than give it away on the cheap apparently 

7 minutes ago, ropy said:

I assume Paycare haven’t upped their outlay by much so we are down overall on sponsorship monies, where is the next internationalist coming from?

#NoMessiForWell #DreamsCrushed

I have to say the home kit looks 'complete' with that nice simple bit of text on it, but I don't think anything (except perhaps a fairly circular or squarish image type of logo) would work with the away kit.

19 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Ask Killie fans of their thoughts on SOD from last season

He certainly didn't hit the heights as the season before, but we've seen plenty of players tail off in the last months of their contract as they plan their next move. 

He's better than the options we currently have at full-back. If he does us a turn until January and then moves on, we both win. 

I kind of agree with @0Neils40yarder tbh honest. 
I think SO'D will be better than Tait but I have never really been a big fan of SO'D, He was certainly a decent SPFL RB and at Tait's prime I would have taken Tait over him
Can't comment much on SO'D last year , Tait however I think had completely lost it. So I guess I am somewhere in the middle but we need Grimmy replaced.

( I still think SO'D will go in at LB on Sat)

20 minutes ago, Desp said:

He certainly didn't hit the heights as the season before, but we've seen plenty of players tail off in the last months of their contract as they plan their next move. 

He's better than the options we currently have at full-back. If he does us a turn until January and then moves on, we both win. 

Agreed

5 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I think SO'D will be better than Tait but I have never really been a big fan of SO'D, He was certainly a decent SPFL RB and at Tait's prime I would have taken Tait over him
Can't comment much on SO'D last year , Tait however I think had completely lost it. So I guess I am somewhere in the middle but we need Grimmy replaced.

Do we stick with Mugabi or put Lamie back in the middle?

Edited by ropy

A large chunk of Killie fans decided that O'Donnell had a poor season last year mainly on the basis that they went in the huff with him because he was quite clearly not going to sign a new contract, and thus decided to observe him more critically than anyone else. The same thing happened to Gary Dicker to some extent because he was seen as the "ringleader" in terms of the players not being happy with Alessio's methods.

On any actual measurable level, he still had a pretty good season, albeit not hitting the heights of the previous 18 months. He scored a few goals, including a winner against St Johnstone in Perth and two equalisers against Rangers, and it felt like he also set up plenty, most notably the pinpoint 70 yard pass for Liam Millar's goal against Hibs. We had a woefully uncreative team last season and O'Donnell was the main attacking outlet for massive swathes of the season, particularly under Alessio when we were playing with three defensive midfielders most of the time.

He was without a doubt the best right-back I've ever seen playing for Killie, and I thought he was substantially better than Tait even back when both were being touted for Scotland call-ups. If it hadn't been for the covid I'm pretty sure he would have got a big move down to England, but he's been the unfortunate victim of timing in that respect. If he even plays to the same level he does last season I doubt he'll still be at Motherwell beyond the initial short-term contract.

Aye anyone not chuffed to bits that we’ve signed SOD is at it. I’m trying to think of RB’s at other clubs in the league that I’d rather have (out with the OF) and I can’t think of too many off the top of my head. The lad Hernandez at Aberdeen maybe? Regardless, it’s a great signing.

Edited by Londonwell

3 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

There's a reason Stephen O'Donnell is a Scotland international with a full head of hair while Richard Tait scrubs around at St Mirren and lies about contract negotiations for attention.

The reason I'd suggest is that at the time the two of them were suggested as options to fill that void, Killie were further up the table and McLeish picked SOD...how he amassed as many caps is unbelievable ...

Again, I must stress that I'm happy he has signed as he is significantly better than what we have currently

19 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Think as he wants to get into Scotland squad … part of the deal for him signing maybe that he plays at right back 

28 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

The reason I'd suggest is that at the time the two of them were suggested as options to fill that void, Killie were further up the table and McLeish picked SOD...how he amassed as many caps is unbelievable ...

Again, I must stress that I'm happy he has signed as he is significantly better than what we have currently

You could have fooled us.......

You could, not have been more underwhelmed if you tried. 

I look it at from the POV we have signed a player with a fair chunk of recent Scotland caps. I may have thought at the time he was a stop gap but it is still a signing that we’re it not for Covid would never of happened. 

You also look at Craigkillie appraisal and that will do me nicely. 

Sadly we all know he will be played out of position until we get a fully fit left back. I honestly don’t know whether moving Lamie back to CB and playing SOD at LB is better than simply playing SOD at right back in place of Grimmy.  I thought Bevis did OK midweek and if Robbo feels the same then I hope he plays SOD at right back.