Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The thing with Valakari is that if he was in for, and subsequently overlooked for, the job last time round then I can't really see how his circumstances have changed now other than he's no longer under contract to SJK.

We'd be daft not to ask Alex Neil the question but I imagine it'd be a very short phone call involving him saying "no" and hanging up. He was bombed out of Norwich with his side 8th in the league and 9 points short of the play-offs. It's not like he was getting them relegated from the Championship. I'd have thought he'd have enough credit to allow for at least another couple of Championship jobs down there.

Without knowing the other 3 names in the frame it's pretty difficult to say either way tbh.

What is this gardening leave patter that seems to be going around with managers over the past few years?

Don't get me wrong, the image of McCoist tending to his hydrangeas while hoovering half a million a year of the buns is fucking hilarious but I don't actually understand what the point of it all is.

What is this gardening leave patter that seems to be going around with managers over the past few years?

Don't get me wrong, the image of McCoist tending to his hydrangeas while hoovering half a million a year of the buns is fucking hilarious but I don't actually understand what the point of it all is.

The gist seems to be that managers (e.g.: McCoist) are on contracts that make it difficult financially for clubs to pay them off with a lump sum settlement so instead they're just relieved of their duties and get paid as normal for effectively doing nothing until their contract expires or they take another position with a new club/employer.

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The gist seems to be that managers (e.g.: McCoist) are on contracts that make it difficult financially for clubs to pay them off with a lump sum settlement so instead they're just relieved of their duties and get paid as normal for effectively doing nothing until their contract expires or they take another position with a new club.

Given that very few managers these days tend to live out their contract, for a club to put down a contract that could make this situation possible seems bizarre.

The thing with Valakari is that if he was in for, and subsequently overlooked for, the job last time round then I can't really see how his circumstances have changed now other than he's no longer under contract to SJK.

Who was it that was 'the right guy at the wrong time'?
Was that Van Der Gaag?

On 28/02/2017 at 18:01, cilitbang said:

If Archie went to another bottom 7 club it would be a backwards step. He has built us to where we are now and has been planning for the long term. So it can't even be argued as a sideways step tbh.

Archibald has done a tremendous job at Partick and yet never seems to get any plaudits. 

Kept Partick up two seasons in a row when their squad had been plundered off all their best players and since then as built what I'd say is the best non city club squad in the Premiership.  Even more impressive in that Dumbuya had a serious injury and has only recently come back and Bannigan hasn't kicked a ball all season.

Defensively they are really well set up and you suspect if Partick had a couple of quality strikers, say a McDonald and Moult, the only area where we are better than them, they could really go on and do something.

Sadly, as a Motherwell fan, I think it would be a step back for him.  We are in much poorer shape, squad wise, than Partick and any money increase he'd have as manager to sort that out would probably be fairly minimal.

Who was it that was 'the right guy at the wrong time'?
Was that Van Der Gaag?

IIRC Van Der Gaag was the one Rob McKinnon announced had got the job on his Facebook only for Baraclough to inexplicably end up getting it.

He was quoted by the bookies for the job when Baraclough was eventually sacked but ruled himself out pretty quickly.

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

IIRC Van Der Gaag was the one Rob McKinnon announced had got the job on his Facebook only for Baraclough to inexplicably end up getting it.

He was quoted by the bookies for the job when Baraclough was eventually sacked but ruled himself out pretty quickly.

If Van Der Gaag does get the job it should be on the condition that he wears a curly wig.

If Van Der Gaag does get the job it should be on the condition that he wears a curly wig.

Ha! I very much doubt Van Der Gaag is in the running. I can't help but feel the other candidates are more likely to be people that haven't been quoted by bookies/in the press.

It's maybe just a gut feeling but I'd have thought we'd lean towards the sort of names who more fit the McCall, Brown, McGhee kind of profile than anything. There are a few folk out of work who I'd imagine fit with the sort of profile I imagine we'd be looking for but for me it keeps coming back to the question of "would he want to come to Motherwell?"

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Archibald has done a tremendous job at Partick and yet never seems to get any plaudits. 

Kept Partick up two seasons in a row when their squad had been plundered off all their best players and since then as built what I'd say is the best non city club squad in the Premiership.  Even more impressive in that Dumbuya had a serious injury and has only recently come back and Bannigan hasn't kicked a ball all season.

Defensively they are really well set up and you suspect if Partick had a couple of quality strikers, say a McDonald and Moult, the only area where we are better than them, they could really go on and do something.

Sadly, as a Motherwell fan, I think it would be a step back for him.  We are in much poorer shape, squad wise, than Partick and any money increase he'd have as manager to sort that out would probably be fairly minimal.

Non city?....Glasgow

Thistle are a town club who happen to be in a city - I've always viewed Dundee in the same way....(and I don't mean that as an insult obviously)

There is literally no chance of getting Archibald as our manager - regardless that we've been in league longer and pretty much always finish ahead of thistle, it would a sideways move at best (especially as Thistle look to be a stable, well run club these days and have a good playing squad as Ya Bezzer rightly says). There would only be five jobs in Scotland that a "The Pack" manager could be assured of more resources and better infrastructure - Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen - the rest would be more of the same and not really worth it...

11 minutes ago, Del_Superwell said:

If it is Robinson why wait all this time and go through an interview process with other candidates, surely if that's who they wanted he could've been appointed last week and we just got on with things, seems bizarre to me.

I'd presume, in case someone much better than we'd anticipated applied. For example, if Alex Neil didn't fancy signing on, and phoned up and said following his sacking, 'I'll take a two year deal", I'd imagine we'd bite his hand off.

We're in a scenario where someone has to offer more than Robinson, and if no-one has, stick with what you've got.

If it is Robinson why wait all this time and go through an interview process with other candidates, surely if that's who they wanted he could've been appointed last week and we just got on with things, seems bizarre to me.

Not really bizarre tbh. As it is it's allowed the board/club to take a breath and explore their options. Robinson's had two games, he's won 1 we'd have hoped to have won & narrowly lost against a side that put 7 past us at the same venue a few weeks ago, essentially that's the benchmark.

If they've opened it up to outside applications and none of them are markedly better than Robinson then sticking with Robinson makes sense. Playing devils advocate, lets say the board/club had candidates in mind for the job when they emptied McGhee, MFC are in a pretty precarious position at the moment there's every chance that they've taken the fortnight and the upshot has been that the candidates they had in mind didn't really fancy having a potential relegation on their CV while those that did possibly weren't significantly better short term options than Robinson. I'd imagine Motherwell have a pretty extensive list of boxes that they'd want checked as far as an ideal candidate for a manager long term goes. That person may be entirely different to the sort of person who'd be willing to take a side on 3 points off the play off place and recent 7-2 and 5-1 defeats in their results list.

If it is Robinson then I'd be more relived than anything that we've gone with him rather than a Valakari or (god help us) Pressley in the state we're in.

IMG_1489440346.071777.thumb.jpg.524b653062c74454e242ced56847ad22.jpg

Been doing the rounds across social media/forum channels.

Saw it earlier. Not really that much of a surprise, it was pretty much a known he had applied & was coming over for interview (based on the tweet that went out last week). Well reported that interviews were scheduled for today, the only thing that doesn't seem to be known is whether there were candidates beyond Valakari and Robinson. Press have been reporting 5 man shortlist but no one seems clear on who the other 3 are.

Saw it earlier. Not really that much of a surprise, it was pretty much a known he had applied & was coming over for interview (based on the tweet that went out last week). Well reported that interviews were scheduled for today, the only thing that doesn't seem to be known is whether there were candidates beyond Valakari and Robinson. Press have been reporting 5 man shortlist but no one seems clear on who the other 3 are.

Glad to see some interviews being made and different options explored besides Robinson end of season - which I wouldn't be against.