Ayr United, What now 2016/17

Agreed, a win on Saturday could be a kick in the balls for St Mirren and a 7 point gap might be too much to crawl back from.
Can see the games vs St Mirren, QOTS and Raith as being the most winnable. If we get anything from Hibs or Morton it's a bonus.

And Dundee united at Somerset.

I think a win against them, hibs or Morton is achievable. That means we have to win two of the three winnable ones.

9 points will do it. Maybe 7 or 8 but we have to target 9.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Dundee united at Somerset.

I think a win against them, hibs or Morton is achievable. That means we have to win two of the three winnable ones.

9 points will do it. Maybe 7 or 8 but we have to target 9.

Completely forgot we still play them again. The way they've played in the last two games against us we should be able to get a win. Hopefully Hibs have won the league by the time we play them and field a weakened team.

We were clearly a disgrace today however some of the reactions on SRE are hilarious "we have been pish for weeks" Right then. If we react in the right way next week we can still finish 9th, above Raith. If we don't it's all over. Eighth is clearly beyond us, would take a minor miracle to finish above either St Mirren or Dumbarton.

Think we'll go down tbh however wouldn't put it past us to win next week.

This is what McCall said to the BBC: 

"St Mirren thoroughly deserved to win and I don't think the margin flattered them. I'm not making excuses for myself, but two or three of the players are carrying injuries from the Dunfermline game and haven't trained, so that was a catch-up.

"We've got two home games coming up, and all this means is that we have to win both of them, rather than just one.

"I'm not under pressure in the slightest. If the worst comes to the worst and it happens, the chairman knows I took us up last year. That's the very last thing in my mind."

Just now, rb123! said:

This is what McCall said to the BBC: 

"St Mirren thoroughly deserved to win and I don't think the margin flattered them. I'm not making excuses for myself, but two or three of the players are carrying injuries from the Dunfermline game and haven't trained, so that was a catch-up.

"We've got two home games coming up, and all this means is that we have to win both of them, rather than just one.

"I'm not under pressure in the slightest. If the worst comes to the worst and it happens, the chairman knows I took us up last year. That's the very last thing in my mind."

Interesting what he says at the end about "If the worst comes to the worst and it happens, the chairman knows i took us up last year", sounds as if to me he sees himself as unsackable.

Interesting what he says at the end about "If the worst comes to the worst and it happens, the chairman knows i took us up last year", sounds as if to me he sees himself as unsackable.

But he's right in the sense that no-one should be thinking about that just now. We're in a fight right now and we need all our focus to be in the next few games.

We can discuss his position as and when required.

And he also didn't pretend we were hard done by (for those that predicted he would).

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

But he's right in the sense that no-one should be thinking about that just now. We're in a fight right now and we need all our focus to be in the next few games.

And he also didn't pretend we were hard done by (for those that predicted he would).

For as much as it's up to the manager to decide which players he puts on the park it's up to the players to put in a performance on the pitch, which they couldn't be bothered doing today. 

Don't think McCall should be mentioning the worst of the worst either to be honest. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence after an utter bleaching.

I would hope his AU media interview includes an apology for those that sat through that.

There should be an apology from one of the players too. From that defeat it's now out of Ayr's hands as to whether they stay up. With the Midden a game in hand we have to look for other teams to do us a favour.

Our GD is shocking -22, next worst is Raith at -13. The only comfort is that the team is getting goals and shots on target, it wasn't that long ago there was a patch where they could only muster one shot on target a game. It really highlights the six months we went without a recognised forward and the damage that has had on our league position.

See, this is what was bothering me about all the talk about being "proud" of the performance at Tannadice. This was a team rock bottom of the form table who had dropped points to both Raith & Dumbarton recently.
And lo and behold we play a team at the top of said form table and get utterly cuffed. If the team couldn't get motivated for that game today there's no way we'll stay up.

I think the talk about fight and motivation is missing the point.  We got gubbed today because of a basic lack of quality.  One of the most consistent features of McCalls time at Ayr has been to string 4 one paced central midfielders across the middle of the park.  We have literally no pace in the team apart from Devlin and teams are wise to that now.  No pace means we can't press teams, we can't get up the park as a unit, we have no out balls and we get pinned in too easily.  Check St Mirrens first goal.  5 minutes into the game and we are defending on our own 6 yard line.   No amount of fight is going to compensate for such basic deficiencies.  Maybe it's just about a lack of finance.  Maybe it's down to McCall throwing a big wage at Harkins who's best position is now unused sub.  Either way, we simply didn't bring in sufficient quality last Summer to compete at this level.  

4 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

I think the talk about fight and motivation is missing the point.  We got gubbed today because of a basic lack of quality.  One of the most consistent features of McCalls time at Ayr has been to string 4 one paced central midfielders across the middle of the park.  We have literally no pace in the team apart from Devlin and teams are wise to that now.  No pace means we can't press teams, we can't get up the park as a unit, we have no out balls and we get pinned in too easily.  Check St Mirrens first goal.  5 minutes into the game and we are defending on our own 6 yard line.   No amount of fight is going to compensate for such basic deficiencies.  Maybe it's just about a lack of finance.  Maybe it's down to McCall throwing a big wage at Harkins who's best position is now unused sub.  Either way, we simply didn't bring in sufficient quality last Summer to compete at this level.  

The midfield today was absolute invisible in the first half and St Mirren just charged through it with no challenge. Before the game i felt Cairney should have started instead of Rose and when he came on in the second half i certainly thought he was one of the best players, that was probably partly down to St Mirren backing off aswell.

See, this is what was bothering me about all the talk about being "proud" of the performance at Tannadice. This was a team rock bottom of the form table who had dropped points to both Raith & Dumbarton recently.
And lo and behold we play a team at the top of said form table and get utterly cuffed. If the team couldn't get motivated for that game today there's no way we'll stay up.

I think mgc has hit the nail on the head. Our commitment and effort on Tuesday was clear to see - but we just aren't good enough. Dundee united have real weaknesses but they have some classy players. We gave everything but we couldn't hurt them enough and weren't good enough to stop them scoring twice.

A win next Saturday (by hook or by crook) gets us back in this race. After that we'll hopefully take it to the last day of the season.

Clutching at straws I know, but we have spirit. McCall has a big job to get the confidence up. I can't make it next Saturday but our team need all the support they can get.

Signing Harkins has been McCalls main mistake. However we all agreed it was a good signing so can't take issue with that. Can take issue with the mis management of Harkins, for example his expanding waistline and not managing to get him fit in an entire season.

Presumably our highest earner, a coach, who should be a leader on the pitch and on the dressing room and he can't even be bothered to get himself into half decent shape to help the team out. Has contributed nothing in about six months.

Thing is, we all suffer tonight, tomorrow morning, tomorrow afternoon, tomorrow night, and so on and so on. How much do the players feel it. Are they not back in until Tuesday night or something. Saturday afternoon till Tuesday night, then Thursday night or something.

Part time team, part time players, part time concern.

Now, if it were their livelihoods they were playing for today?

We really really missed a trick this season.

Should have gone full time. If by some minor miracle we stay up, we really need a full time squad.

Signing Harkins has been McCalls main mistake. However we all agreed it was a good signing so can't take issue with that. Can take issue with the mis management of Harkins, for example his expanding waistline and not managing to get him fit in an entire season.

Presumably our highest earner, a coach, who should be a leader on the pitch and on the dressing room and he can't even be bothered to get himself into half decent shape to help the team out. Has contributed nothing in about six months.

Massive massive disappointment

Archived