Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

19 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Aye that's a topper, just a shame Walters has lost his way a bit since the Donaire win. Great name for Loma and I think Walters' style will let him look great. Might be the most skilled P4P and fights like this let him build the resume to match.

Agree about Lomachenkos skills and footwork but can he get past that 73" reach of Walters? Donaire couldn't (bar a wobble in the 2nd Rd) with a 68" reach. Lomachenko has 65.5".......Hope he does but that a lot to give away to a hard hitter like Walters.

Should be a good fight of differing styles.

19 minutes ago, sjc said:

Agree about Lomachenkos skills and footwork but can he get past that 73" reach of Walters? Donaire couldn't (bar a wobble in the 2nd Rd) with a 68" reach. Lomachenko has 65.5".......Hope he does but that a lot to give away to a hard hitter like Walters.

Should be a good fight of differing styles.

Think you may have answered your own question before you asked it, the difference is in the footwork. Lomachenko's footwork is so good that the reach likely won't make the slightest bit of difference as he'll float in and out of range as and when he wants. Genuinely don't think I've ever seen better.

7 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Think you may have answered your own question before you asked it, the difference is in the footwork. Lomachenko's footwork is so good that the reach likely won't make the slightest bit of difference as he'll float in and out of range as and when he wants. Genuinely don't think I've ever seen better.

Totally agree with that. 

4 hours ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

There's no comparison whatsoever to be made between Lomachenko and a post Rigondeaux Donaire.  I wouldn't say the difference in reach will be completely negated by Lomachenko's footwork but it's nothing like the advantage that it seems on paper.

I was thinking more about how Lomachenko will get past that tight guard of Walters with a considerable reach disadvantage and against a hard hitter rather than making a comparison to Donaire.

What's everyones thoughts? Lomachenko to school him? Can Lomachenko afford to be drawn into another type of fight?

4 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Mike towell local Lad in critical condition :-(

7 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Saw the fight on STV Edinburgh last night, hope Towell is ok

Watched the fight too. Sad, it's never good seeing a competitor leaving the ring on a stretcher.

My thoughts go with him & his family.

I saw that the fight was on STV Edinburgh and made a mental note to watch it but forgot.  Came on here to post the latest Tyson Fury stuff but this is devastating news, if true.

Last Scottish boxer to die due to injuries sustained was James Murray in 1995.