Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

23 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Was out last night so got up at 8 to watch the rerun- was most looking forward to seeing Ortiz and they never even showed the fight- which judging by the comments on here was a blessing.

Easily the worst fight I have ever had the misfortune of witnessing , Scott spent the vast majority of the fight literally running away from Ortiz ! Was glorious witnessing fast Eddie visibly fuming at scotts performance though turned his co main event into an utter shit fest.

Personally delighted with this BT deal for boxnation, should break the Hearn monopoly on signing British fighters and will save me 12 quid a month. Only negative I can see is a HBO/Showtime situation where fighters are tied to one station stopping a lot of potential fights, any competition is good though should force Sky to be putting on better shows if BT start off well. 

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Cant fucking wait for Ward Kovalev this weekend. Cant remember the last time I took the time to record a fight, avoid the result for as long as it takes and watch it through. Definitely will make the effort this week though. My recent boxing apathy is temporarily cured.

I'm absolutely fucking buzzing for it. There's no bigger fight in combat sport at present. I'm slightly disappointed sky aren't hyping the ever loving shite out of it though. It's obviously not as big in terms of gaining mainstream attention, but it really deserves the same level of promotion that May - Pac got, and if they'd built it for the last couple of months as being the biggest fight around, they'd have vastly increased the viewership. As it stands, I'm not sure they've done enough to do that, which is a shame as anyone with even a passing interest in the sport should be really fucking excited.

22 minutes ago, Meth Damon said:

Personally delighted with this BT deal for boxnation, should break the Hearn monopoly on signing British fighters and will save me 12 quid a month. Only negative I can see is a HBO/Showtime situation where fighters are tied to one station stopping a lot of potential fights, any competition is good though should force Sky to be putting on better shows if BT start off well. 

I haven't looked in to it in massively great detail yet. Is it going to be a case of you'll still need to subscribe to both to get Boxnation's full content, and BT are just going to cherry pick the best 20 or so fights they get over the year, or are BT kind of consuming them and BN is going to become part of the BT package?

Either way, the more eyes on the product the better. Can only help to grow interest in the sport.

3 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

I'm absolutely fucking buzzing for it. There's no bigger fight in combat sport at present. I'm slightly disappointed sky aren't hyping the ever loving shite out of it though. It's obviously not as big in terms of gaining mainstream attention, but it really deserves the same level of promotion that May - Pac got, and if they'd built it for the last couple of months as being the biggest fight around, they'd have vastly increased the viewership. As it stands, I'm not sure they've done enough to do that, which is a shame as anyone with even a passing interest in the sport should be really fucking excited.

I do think it's suffering from not having a top promoter like Top Rank or Golden Boy to hype it to what it should be, doesn't take away from how good a match up it is though. I think it's probably gonna be quite a "boring" fight to the casual viewer but seeing two elite guys in their prime having a chess match almost is some of the best boxing you get imo. It's great that it's between two guys I like as well, will be rooting for Kova but Ward has always seemed like a sound guy minus the inactivity.

3 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

I haven't looked in to it in massively great detail yet. Is it going to be a case of you'll still need to subscribe to both to get Boxnation's full content, and BT are just going to cherry pick the best 20 or so fights they get over the year, or are BT kind of consuming them and BN is going to become part of the BT package?

Either way, the more eyes on the product the better. Can only help to grow interest in the sport.

Aye boxnation is going to become part of the bt package, but you'll still be able to subscribe to boxnation only if you don't want bt in full. With a planned 30 shows next year and rumours that the deal is for over £100 million it'll be interesting to see who Warren can attract. You've got Haye, Groves, Frampton not tied to Sky, Eubank as well but Warren said he'd never work with him again. Selby and Degale seem to be leaving Hearn as well. 

Cba with the Murray fight.

Was gutted for Solis.  Nights like that should be career defining moments for fighters like him but a robbery just makes life much harder for them because nobody big will want to fight him if he doesn't have the belt as he'll be seen as too risky after a display like that. We're actually at a point now where we're so familiar with these decisions that people are calling it in advance and it's not even shocking anymore.  When the Sky team have one of their own men losing by 2/3 points you know there was at least 7 or 8  in it.

From round 5 onwards I didn't mind the Ortiz fight.  Was intriguing to see if he could find a way to KO Scott and if Scott could land something good on him.  I thought Ortiz cut off the ring fairly well but for some reason barely let his hands go when he had Scott in position. A nightmare introduction to the UK for him and Hearn of course.

Easy win for Sosa and yet another Gallagher fighter cops an L when facing one of the better opponents in the division.

PBC card was mercifully short.  Fortuna - Douglas was messy and neither of those two will go on to do anything at 135 which is the strongest it's been in quite some time.

Jarrett took a leaf out of the headliner's book with a disgusting match up by dragging Jojo Dan up to 154.  If someone told me there was 20lbs difference between them on the night I'd believe it.  Dan showed a lot of heart which can sometimes be a bad thing so was pleased when his corner stopped it.

Nobody does showcase fights worse than Garcia who was loading up on everything for the first 4 rounds in a bid to look good in front of his hometown.  The exchange with Thurman was quite funny at the end though.  PBC generally deliver on the rare occasions they say their making good fights so have to assume just now that this will take place next year but I can see Garcia and his old boy finding a way somehow to slither out of it as both of them seem to have no shame whatsoever.

Regarding the Warren-BT Sport deal it's a good deal but I think people's antipathy to Hearn is maybe making them look at Warren through rose-tinted specs.  Warren/Sports Network were probably worse than Hearn/Matchroom for all the things that the latter pair are criticised for now.  I also think it might make big UK fights difficult to match, unless on PPV, when it actually becomes easier to set up.

However, leaving that aside, competition is good and it'll drive Hearn to put on better shows than he has been doing.

Carl Froch is the Paul Merson of boxing punditry.

In the same article he somehow manages to claim that Golovkin won't be a hall of famer if he doesn't move up two weight divisions to fight Andre Ward, and yet manages to describe Kell Brook moving up two weight divisions to fight Golovkin as "not exactly a fair fight" :lol:

The man's a fucking moron.