Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Think Joyce gives the illusion of being slow, but Dubois just wasn't fast enough, or gave enough movement to consistently get inside his jab.
Joyce even admitted as much in keeping Dubois at range & away from walking on to any possibility of taking a big right hand. Outwith the top 3, I think Joyce would fair pretty well & could cause Usyk problems with his sheer size & boxing sense. Olympic medals aren't just handed out freely.

His hands looked so slow!! I watched a think with Hearn about DD being matched wrong.. I don’t rate Joyce as highly as most but IMO he beat him with ease!! I love Usyk and I’d much rather see him become undisputed over AJ or Fury.

Audley Harrison seemed to get one 🤢

1 hour ago, quickoverayard said:

His hands looked so slow!! I watched a think with Hearn about DD being matched wrong.. I don’t rate Joyce as highly as most but IMO he beat him with ease!! I love Usyk and I’d much rather see him become undisputed over AJ or Fury.

Audley Harrison seemed to get one 🤢

David Price likewise, both their chins were found wanting in the Pro's. But their boxing ability wasn't in question. Price has beaten Fury, remember.

Funny seeing tonight’s BJS - Martin Murray fight having the hype it deserves in here [emoji23]

I was a big fan of Murray when he was in his prime and he was very, unlucky not to get a world title with the decisions against Sturm, Martinez and Abraham during that period, but he was well last his prime by the time he fought Groves and that was 4 years ago. Will still watch, but can only see a comfortable BJS win.

Funny seeing tonight’s BJS - Martin Murray fight having the hype it deserves in here [emoji23]

I was a big fan of Murray when he was in his prime and he was very, unlucky not to get a world title with the decisions against Sturm, Martinez and Abraham during that period, but he was well last his prime by the time he fought Groves and that was 4 years ago. Will still watch, but can only see a comfortable BJS win.

That’s pretty much word for word, what I came on here to say. I’ve nothing more to add.

I too was a fan of Murray back in the day, he just never got the break he needed. Was never going to dominate a division but he deserved better than his prime years got him

It’s quite a shame to see this version of Martin Murray tbh. One of the toughest guys about, just doesn’t have it anymore. Saunders looked decent enough though, better than I was expecting him to be.

On paper, Murray was the best of the four UK based middleweights at the time (him, Barker, Lee and Macklin), IMO. Was a shame they never fought each other, something like the WBS with all four involved would have made a good bit of money. Remember seeing a round table with them back in the day when all were still fighting and there was a good balance of respect and needle.

BJS is such a talented boxer. It’s just a shame he’s such a fucking idiot out of the ring. Enjoyable enough fight so far, but he’s well ahead for me.

10 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Will still watch, but can only see a comfortable BJS win.

I think anyone with a modicum of boxing knowledge called the fight exactly how it went. Murray to put in a journeymans performance without causing BJS any sort of problems, wide scorecards in Saunders favour and the pundits say Murray did well but got outclassed by a better boxer. Murray seems like a sound guy, hope he took a nice wage home to his family and hangs the gloves up. 

The boy Tennyson on the undercard was one I was looking forward to. Boy I train with in the gym has been talking about him for years now, he boxed alongside him at a couple of amateur championships about 10 years ago, and was telling me his style is wild but he carries crazy power. He’s flew under the radar a bit for me as I can’t remember his fight against Martin Ward, which I would have almost definitely have watched. He’s got 3 defeats on his record, the most recent being Tevin Farmer so not a disaster boxing at that level. 

Johnny Nelson made himself look like a bit of a clown claiming he would beat Tank if they fought today. The Linares fight makes sense, a real step up against a quality operator. Hearn will be seeing the pound signs with him, he’s got a style fans will love and will be able to sell out over in Ireland. Thought some of the praise was a tad over the top, as that opponent tonight was a walking punchbag, Tennyson literally couldn’t miss. God knows how he managed to wangle his way into a WBA eliminator. Maybe he had a bad night but I think I would have been able to land one on his chin the way he stoated about the ring. 

6 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

BJS looked good, glad Muzza seen the end. Interesting to see what Saunders does next year, a lot will depend on Canelo-Smith outcome I'd imagine.

If he’s not in a massive fight next time out serious questions need to be asked of his motivation. All due respect to Martin Murray, but he should be nowhere near Saunders at this stage of his career. Saunders doesn’t come across as a particularly nice person so I couldn’t really care one way or the other if he fulfils his potential, but it’s obvious he has the talent...the Lemieux fight was a masterclass that he’s not been able to replicate so far. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

If he’s not in a massive fight next time out serious questions need to be asked of his motivation. All due respect to Martin Murray, but he should be nowhere near Saunders at this stage of his career. Saunders doesn’t come across as a particularly nice person so I couldn’t really care one way or the other if he fulfils his potential, but it’s obvious he has the talent...the Lemieux fight was a masterclass that he’s not been able to replicate so far. 
It's been 3 years since the Lemieux fight.

I think anyone with a modicum of boxing knowledge called the fight exactly how it went. Murray to put in a journeymans performance without causing BJS any sort of problems, wide scorecards in Saunders favour and the pundits say Murray did well but got outclassed by a better boxer. Murray seems like a sound guy, hope he took a nice wage home to his family and hangs the gloves up. 

The boy Tennyson on the undercard was one I was looking forward to. Boy I train with in the gym has been talking about him for years now, he boxed alongside him at a couple of amateur championships about 10 years ago, and was telling me his style is wild but he carries crazy power. He’s flew under the radar a bit for me as I can’t remember his fight against Martin Ward, which I would have almost definitely have watched. He’s got 3 defeats on his record, the most recent being Tevin Farmer so not a disaster boxing at that level. 

Johnny Nelson made himself look like a bit of a clown claiming he would beat Tank if they fought today. The Linares fight makes sense, a real step up against a quality operator. Hearn will be seeing the pound signs with him, he’s got a style fans will love and will be able to sell out over in Ireland. Thought some of the praise was a tad over the top, as that opponent tonight was a walking punchbag, Tennyson literally couldn’t miss. God knows how he managed to wangle his way into a WBA eliminator. Maybe he had a bad night but I think I would have been able to land one on his chin the way he stoated about the ring. 

Hopefully Tennyson that gets back in the mix for big fights. 2 years and, now, 6 fights since he lost to Farmer. Selby is probably drinking at the last chance saloon and should be an easy enough fight to make. Haney is also with matchroom I think but don’t know if that would bring the exposure Tennyson could do with.

43 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Hopefully Tennyson that gets back in the mix for big fights. 2 years and, now, 6 fights since he lost to Farmer. Selby is probably drinking at the last chance saloon and should be an easy enough fight to make. Haney is also with matchroom I think but don’t know if that would bring the exposure Tennyson could do with.

As I said I must have been under a rock when he fought Farmer and Ward as I can’t remember those fights at all. Especially puzzled by the Ward fight as it would have been on a Sky show, and going by the dates was at the time Ward was being pushed heavily by Eddie Hearn as the next best thing since sliced bread. Hopefully that’s Tennyson now forcing his way into title fights as he’s going to be brilliant to watch and his style will be a headache for anyone in the division. 

As I said I must have been under a rock when he fought Farmer and Ward as I can’t remember those fights at all. Especially puzzled by the Ward fight as it would have been on a Sky show, and going by the dates was at the time Ward was being pushed heavily by Eddie Hearn as the next best thing since sliced bread. Hopefully that’s Tennyson now forcing his way into title fights as he’s going to be brilliant to watch and his style will be a headache for anyone in the division. 

I remember the Farmer fight, bit cloudy on the ward one. From what I recall, the hype was all about Farmer tbh...billed as an exceptional talent in against a guy with a punchers chance although I’m maybe misremembering tbf as that’s pretty much how the fight went.

3 hours ago, kiddy said:
6 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

It's been 3 years since the Lemieux fight.

Didn’t quite realise it was that long ago, but just highlights how inactive he’s been. Jeez I went and seen him defend his title against some binman in the Lagoon leisure centre in Paisley, which is so wild it actually feels like I dreamt it.