Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

3 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Weigh in caught fire a bit today, hope the main event is a straight up shoot out

Could be wrong, but any drama involving Joshua just looks so stage managed to me. It’s a solid marketing ploy to have a bit of pushing and shoving at the weigh-in, so Matchroom and the boxing media can stick together a 15 second excerpt that can be stuck on Facebook and Twitter and will be lapped up by the casual boxing fans and possibly entice them into parting with £25 of their hard earned cash. It’s not a dig, I will probably pay the money for the PPV myself, because I like watching boxing on my TV and don’t want the hassle of fucking about with an android box etc. 

Eggington v Theophane on Channel 5 tonight, could be worth a watch. Is Theophane the guy who went out and based himself in Dubai? From what I remember of Eggington his fights can be an exciting watch. 

Could be wrong, but any drama involving Joshua just looks so stage managed to me. It’s a solid marketing ploy to have a bit of pushing and shoving at the weigh-in, so Matchroom and the boxing media can stick together a 15 second excerpt that can be stuck on Facebook and Twitter and will be lapped up by the casual boxing fans and possibly entice them into parting with £25 of their hard earned cash. It’s not a dig, I will probably pay the money for the PPV myself, because I like watching boxing on my TV and don’t want the hassle of fucking about with an android box etc. 

Eggington v Theophane on Channel 5 tonight, could be worth a watch. Is Theophane the guy who went out and based himself in Dubai? From what I remember of Eggington his fights can be an exciting watch. 
Theopane somehow found himself part of the "Money Team" at one point. That was at a time I was following boxing a lot closer than I do now and I had never even seen him fight [emoji23]

Eggington’s fights are always exciting because he likes to come forward and the only defensive tactic he knows is “block punch with face”. Not great for his long term health, but makes for a good watch.

Joshua will sit behind his jab and win a unanimous decision, or stop a desperate Pulev late. The “needle” is a total put on.

Don’t think the needle today was staged, think Pulev is aware of Joshua just keeps him at the end of his jab and moves it’ll be a long night so he wants AJ to come out all guns blazing and for it to be a slugfest. I think AJ was annoyed but will be back to the plan tomorrow.
Theophane probably done well financially from his money team contract and I think he fought in near enough every continent which is presumably a bit better than just jobbing about on Hearn or Warren’s scraps. Eggington is probably too game for his own good but it’s a fan friendly style.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Theopane somehow found himself part of the "Money Team" at one point. That was at a time I was following boxing a lot closer than I do now and I had never even seen him fight emoji23.png

Was it Vegas he went for his training? I can vaguely remember him claiming he didn’t get the support of the UK boxing fans whilst basing himself in another country. I honestly couldn’t tell you if I’ve ever seen him fight, I probably have at one point but he seems to be a name that floats about without ever actually being in a ring. 

Just now, IrishBhoy said:

Was it Vegas he went for his training? I can vaguely remember him claiming he didn’t get the support of the UK boxing fans whilst basing himself in another country. I honestly couldn’t tell you if I’ve ever seen him fight, I probably have at one point but he seems to be a name that floats about without ever actually being in a ring. 

Exactly that. I think it was Vegas. Off to look at his ledger the now. 

54 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Eggington’s fights are always exciting because he likes to come forward and the only defensive tactic he knows is “block punch with face”. Not great for his long term health, but makes for a good watch.

Joshua will sit behind his jab and win a unanimous decision, or stop a desperate Pulev late. The “needle” is a total put on.

I take it Eggington is no longer a Matchroom fighter these days if he’s fighting on Channel 5? 7 losses on his record at his age isn't great but he’s been in some good scraps. As you say, blocking punches with your face usually results in an exciting fight but ultimately another L on the record. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

49 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Don’t think the needle today was staged, think Pulev is aware of Joshua just keeps him at the end of his jab and moves it’ll be a long night so he wants AJ to come out all guns blazing and for it to be a slugfest. I think AJ was annoyed but will be back to the plan tomorrow.

You could be correct, but the fact they were shaking hands and heaping praise on each other the day previous, it looks like a bit of a jump to go from that to finger pointing and a shoving match at the weigh in.

I get the weigh in is always a bit more heated and on edge but Joshua doesn’t come across as that type of character. If I was guessing I would say Hearn has had a word in both his and Pulevs ear... create a bit of animosity that we can clip and fire over our social media channels to hype up the fight. As I say it’s a good marketing ploy and probably puts a few more grand in both their bank accounts come Sunday morning. 

You could be correct, but the fact they were shaking hands and heaping praise on each other the day previous, it looks like a bit of a jump to go from that to finger pointing and a shoving match at the weigh in.

I get the weigh in is always a bit more heated and on edge but Joshua doesn’t come across as that type of character. If I was guessing I would say Hearn has had a word in both his and Pulevs ear... create a bit of animosity that we can clip and fire over our social media channels to hype up the fight. As I say it’s a good marketing ploy and probably puts a few more grand in both their bank accounts come Sunday morning. 

Yeah. Struggling to buy any pre fight needle these days but especially when it's been respectful all the way up to the weigh in. These guys are pros going to do their job. Unless theres a personal beef (think Barrera Morales for a top tier, genuine beef) the vast majority of them are just too professional to get themselves in a genuine mess.

Absolute nap these two are full of respect after the fight

Edit to add (ETA) rightly so. CBA with the manufactured shit. Makes the right fights. Let the fight speak for itself. Understand this doesnt suit Eddie. Meh

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Absolute nap these two are full of respect after the fight.

To be fair, even fights that do hold a bit of genuine needle, have the fighters full of respect for each other after the fight. 

Ian John Lewis and Terry O Connor two of the three judges :lol:   

Ian to have Eggington 14 rounds up with 6 holes to play, and Terry to score it 119/1 with 6 overs left. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

If Eggington can’t get this guy out the ring before the final bell then he would be as well hanging the gloves up himself. A win on points tonight after seeing Theophanes quality does more harm for the reputation of Eggington than if he didn’t fight at all. 

Edit- And as I say that he stops him. Fair enough. 

See that Eggington is now promoted by Hennessy. The sort of guy that looks like he has a side business selling office supplies from his car at the side of anonymous A-roads in the south of England. I wouldn’t trust that guy with 20 pence. 

20E83610-D328-4A5F-B1AB-AA82C82D5555.jpeg

Edited by IrishBhoy

This is the first AJ PPV I’m not buying!! Not because I don’t think it’s worth it I literally have no interest in this fight.

That being said it could very well reshape the heavyweight devision if Pulev wins.... I’m not buying into him having power hasn’t he got only 14 stoppages??

I hope AJ goes back to type and bangs him out early but I’ve got a feeling it’s going to be snooze fest

Can anyone recommend any of the undercard fights? What one should i not miss?

The reason I’m not buying it is because the main event isn’t that interesting (Joshua will just sit behind the jab and eek out a wide points win or stop him late if Pulev gets reckless), and there’s almost nothing on the undercard. Bakole - Kuzmin could be a good blowout as both have only lost once - both to Michael Hunter funnily enough - and have good knockout records, and Hughie Fury has some talent (nothing like his cousins, though I thought he beat Parker) but it’s not a fan friendly style, and Wach is completely washed. If you’ve already bought it then I’d watch all of it and it could be that all the fights are excellent, but on paper there’s not much to be excited about, IMO.

ETA: the wife may have decided she wanted to watch strictly moments after posting this, so I may have decided to start watching through means other than purchasing on the tv, just on time for start of Bakole - Kuzmin. Bakole is going to knock him out early on early evidence.