Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

4 hours ago, cambozpar said:

I don't have to score each round to see that Tyson Fury never won that fight and that's coming from a Fury fan

Of course you have to score each round to determine who won. That's how you score boxing.

What a silly statement.

2 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

No we haven’t. 

You do realise it's a waste of fucking time arguing with UFC fanboys.

Ultimately 2 very different sports - if it was a reversal with Fury fighting under UFC rules I'd fully expect Ngannou to win without breaking sweat.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

5 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Doesn't UFC use the exact same scoring system?

No 10/10s in UFC, no points for knockdowns, only 10/8s for overwhelmingly winning a round (sometimes 10/7s). Scores based on damage more than just jabs 

3 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Last night has just proven exactly why this particular poster has said for years and won't stop saying : AnthoAnthony Joshua walks through Tyson Fury.

Thank you and good night.

If it ever happens, I desperately hope the bookies agree with you and feel as strongly....

47 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

No 10/10s in UFC, no points for knockdowns, only 10/8s for overwhelmingly winning a round (sometimes 10/7s). Scores based on damage more than just jabs 

Are judges not allowed to score a round 10/10 by rule or is it just convention.

Because in boxing it is the same these daays. Very rarely is a round scored 10/10 so when you see so called experts putting 10/10 on their card you can just ignore it.

In professional boxing the quality of the shot matters too. A jab that lands is not equal to flushing someone with an uppercut. Maybe you should research how a boxing match is scored.

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Because in boxing it is the same these daays. Very rarely is a round scored 10/10 so when you see so called experts putting 10/10 on their card you can just ignore it.

In professional boxing the quality of the shot matters too. A jab that lands is not equal to flushing someone with an uppercut. Maybe you should research how a boxing match is scored.

It's just become really rare, and it's fucking ridiculous. We would see significantly less shite cards and contentious if judges utilised the 10 each more. 

50 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I don't think I've ever seen a 10/10 in the UFC, usually judges are always giving one person the round 10/9. The actual scoring criteria for it are: Effective striking/grappling>Damage>Aggression>Ring/Octagon Control. A lot of the time damage scores higher and more emphasis is put on power shots over jabs. 

If you're scoring that match based on quality of the shot I'm unsure to say that Fury landed with more quality than Ngannou did

Never watched this live as I thought it would be pointless. So scored the fight myself out of interest and had Ngannou winning by 2.

I thought the commentary was ridiculously biased towards Ngannou. Not sure what Carl Frampton was watching with his input at round 5. 

Fury was an absolute joke came in out of shape no timing just a mess. The lad Ngannou was alot better than anyone especially tyson was expecting. But an in shape tyson would have walked every round. Weve seen him come back from worse physical conditions. But unless he can pull himself back together he should retire. Usyk in there tonight would have embarrassed him. Up until now I would have picked tyson to win that fight.

Was that a fixed decision? In my view it wasn't an accurate one.

8 hours ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Fury was an absolute joke came in out of shape no timing just a mess. The lad Ngannou was alot better than anyone especially tyson was expecting. But an in shape tyson would have walked every round. Weve seen him come back from worse physical conditions. But unless he can pull himself back together he should retire. Usyk in there tonight would have embarrassed him. Up until now I would have picked tyson to win that fight.

We kept hearing that Fury had put himself through a 12 week camp for this fight, but he looked in a terrible shape on Saturday. Flab falling over his shorts and he was fighting with his mouth open from about the second round onwards. After the knockdown he looked in a state of shock to me, but he also boxed like he knew he was going to get the decision. To be fair Ngannou really pulled back after the knockdown, and limited himself to counters that largely missed their mark. The 96-93 card for Fury is well wide of the mark but I couldn’t argue with it being 95-94 in his favour. There is always an underdog bias when scoring a fight with a heavy favourite, and I don’t think Ngannou showed enough in the second half of the fight to overcome that. 

I watched it again and was a really easy fight to score with Fury, despite being a fat shambles and absolutely terrible, winning at least 6 rounds (I had it 6-3 with a 10-10 too). 

There's absolutely no way you can give Ngannou 5 rounds needed to win the fight. 

On 29/10/2023 at 09:33, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You do realise it's a waste of fucking time arguing with UFC fanboys.

Ultimately 2 very different sports - if it was a reversal with Fury fighting under UFC rules I'd fully expect Ngannou to win without breaking sweat.

I think you’d be hard pushed to find any semi clued up MMA fan who thinks any MMA fighter would defeat a top level professional boxer, unless they had come from a professional boxing background into the sport. 

I do think it would be harder for a boxer to step into an MMA fight than vice versa. There is far too much involved in MMA to learn over a short period of time, whereas most MMA fighters will be coached in striking, albeit it isn’t comparible to how boxers are trained. You also have to factor in that most of these guys are black belts in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. 

I watch both sports but get far more enjoyment from watching MMA because every big fight you want to see tends to happen, purely because all the top guys fight under the same promotion. Not to mention a single event can often have 3 or 4 top fights on the same card as well as having good matchups in the prelims. The boxing politics are fucking brutal and the undercards are mostly absolute guff. I’d happily see these daft crossover fights binned completely, along with these daft fannys from YouTube who are boxing washed up MMA fighters.

2 hours ago, JMDPco said:

I watched it again and was a really easy fight to score with Fury, despite being a fat shambles and absolutely terrible, winning at least 6 rounds (I had it 6-3 with a 10-10 too). 

There's absolutely no way you can give Ngannou 5 rounds needed to win the fight. 

We all see things differently, at the start bar round 3 I seen fury chalking up rounds comfortably. That's why I was so surprised hearing Carl Framptons assessment. So I kind of assumed it would continue like that.

So I wasnt expecting at the end to have Ngannou ahead. But for me he won alot of the later rounds. I can see the argument for fury winning them also tho as nothing much was landing from either. But at that point what I saw was Ngannou landing the cleaner shots in the later rounds. I've been a big fan of fury, I certainly wasn't scoring it looking to be negative to him. He just seemed to have run out of ideas and motivation, last 3 rounds he barely thru anything.

Alot of the rounds were tight tho so I can understand an alternative view. One thing I think we both agree on is Tyson needs to sort his shit out rapidly or he is finished.

* apologies i replied to the wrong post, that was mainly in  reply to @IrishBhoy

Edited by Bing.McCrosby