Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

1 minute ago, MONKMAN said:

A sustained beating from start to finish. 

Thing is, after being told stay off the ropes, Smith started that round coming forward, and in doing so, simply hastened his own end. I dont know how you beat that. You would need a chin for the ages. I dont know anyone who has the punch resistance to live with a guy like Beterbiev. 

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Thing is, after being told stay off the ropes, Smith started that round coming forward, and in doing so, simply hastened his own end. I dont know how you beat that. You would need a chin for the ages. I dont know anyone who has the punch resistance to live with a guy like Beterbiev. 

Might have just snuck the 2nd (when I think Beterbiev took it off to have a look) but otherwise Beterbiev beat the living shit out of Smith there. He isn’t flashy, he isn’t particularly fast, but his punch selection, power, pressure, distance control and footwork are frightening. Cannot stop concentrating for a second or he’ll just murder you. From half way through the 3rd I’m not convinced I saw him miss with a jab, and it looked like a fucking jack hammer the way it was knocking Smith’s head back.

Bivol fight needs to happen as soon as both are able, easily one of the best prospective fights in boxing just now.

6 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Jack Catterall confirms the Taylor rematch has been agreed.

I'm beginning to think Taylor might be just about finished. Anything other than a robust win in that would do it for me

10 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Jack Catterall confirms the Taylor rematch has been agreed.

10 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I'm beginning to think Taylor might be just about finished. Anything other than a robust win in that would do it for me

10 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

I’d agree, that if he doesn’t win this convincingly then he’s done. 

He’s fought twice in the last 3 years & 6 in the preceding 3.

He achieved what he set out to, in replicating Buchanan, & has made a complete arse of it since, in similar fashion.

That he’s failed to attract a following, or major sponsorship, tells you all about his persona.

If he wants to resurrect his career, or cash out, then moving up & challenging Boots Ennis should be his only option; as opposed to a domestic rematch, at the same weight, where there’s zero at stake. Winning would add nothing to the view on the first fight & losing see him finished. Frittering his career away, in the process, just like his hero.

At his best Taylor is probably the best Scottish boxer of the modern era, certainly since Buchanan. I think he’s on the turn now and in the last few years he’s been such a dickhead that his chance at being a proper superstar in Scottish sport has gone. Shame.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/01/2024 at 19:01, J_Stewart said:

*Insert world’s largest shrug*

Genuinely cannot remember a time that my interest in boxing was this low. Even Fury v Usyk, which I should be absolutely buzzing for, I refuse to be excited about, given the very high chance that it collapses for some reason. A sad state of affairs.

Yup

IMG_0859.thumb.png.0344cef2ba663b73de6670a4bf6c9ed9.png

The day after Sky were positively fizzing eith excitement to relentlessly show that stupid fucking advert for the fight aswell. Usyk needs to quickly assess whether Fury is in any way serious about fighting him. Too much time wasted already.