Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, kiddy said:

I see Taylor/Catterall 2 has been announced for the absolutely nothing at stake belt.

Obviously guaranteed to be a shitshow anyway, I just seen a Match rooms poster for the fight. The tagline is "HATE RUNS DEEP" ffs. 

23 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Obviously guaranteed to be a shitshow anyway, I just seen a Match rooms poster for the fight. The tagline is "HATE RUNS DEEP" ffs. 

Far too much boxing promo is based on how much everyone hates each other rather than them being a genuine sporting contest, it would be embarrassing if it was true, it’s worse when 99% of the time it’s so clearly fake.

22 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Far too much boxing promo is based on how much everyone hates each other rather than them being a genuine sporting contest, it would be embarrassing if it was true, it’s worse when 99% of the time it’s so clearly fake.

Aye. There have been very few genuinely hate filled, elite level rivalries over the years. Thinking like Barrera v Morales, where it fed into how great their fights were. 

The vast majority of the time it's manufactured, unnecessary bullshit for idiots. Pure pantomime cringe. I honestly hate it. 

Catterall turned up in Edinburgh in a Hearts top the other day I think? Ugh.

I was at the first fight and Catterall was robbed blind. I think Taylor has peaked and will retire if he loses.

We’ll find out if Taylor’s body can still hack it. The last two performances were the manifestation of life between training camps. He has been training and sparring for a while now. Purely as a boxing fan it would be great to see a few more top level Taylor performances. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2024 at 09:42, Shandon Par said:

We’ll find out if Taylor’s body can still hack it. The last two performances were the manifestation of life between training camps. He has been training and sparring for a while now. Purely as a boxing fan it would be great to see a few more top level Taylor performances. 

He's of the same mould as Hatton and Fury when it comes to lifestyle between fights. Would like to see him back at the top but dunno if it's too late. 

Definitely would have thought this rematch should have been at a catchweight given the issues he's had making 140.

You wouldn't even have entertained an outcome other than AJ KO if it wasn't for the fact that Fury showed up looking like boiled shite against Ngannou. 

AJ should have far too much boxing ability, but the question over his punch resistance just about makes this worth an IPTV viewing. Ngannou can probably.... probably hurt AJ even through a high guard to the temple/behind the ear area. That's the only real point of intrigue. I highly doubt we see Ngannou actually land clean on the chin. 

Parker v Big Bang Zhang is however, a genuinely good and intriguing fight. Never been sold on Parker at the top level. He's very gatekeeper-ish, but what he did to Wilder clearly earned him this. Zhang is real though. He has almost 50 pounds on Parker and he knows how to use it. I expect him to walk down and stop Parker in the best fight of the night. 

Edited by Bairnardo