Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

5 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

So Eddie has paid Freddie Roach to name drop?

Sounds about right, I'm sure he needs the cash.

I doubt they met in a car park in Kent to exchange a brown paper envelope but there'll have been something going on behind the scenes there.

Mentioning Pacquiaos name alongside as pish a 140 as Burns isn't a good look whatsoever  for Roach so there'll be a reason why and we see it time and again with Hearn that he mentions  his effectively domestic level guys in with the elite before serving up yet another fight that nobody really cares about. 

Edited by Kool Keith

31 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

8th of April at the Hydro. Undercard better be good.

Seems like an overly dangerous fight with very little in terms of reward. Paulie would've been far less risk and would've done more to raise his profile.

There's plenty of reward there.  We'll never hear the end of it if Burns has 2 belts in that division.

There's plenty of reward there.  We'll never hear the end of it if Burns has 2 belts in that division.

That means nothing to casual fans. "World Champion" and "Double belt holder" mean exactly the same thing to your AJ loving fan who goes along for a sing song and a piss up before the Alan Hansen.

9 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

That means nothing to casual fans. "World Champion" and "Double belt holder" mean exactly the same thing to your AJ loving fan who goes along for a sing song and a piss up before the Alan Hansen.

It is extra marketing leverage to promote to casuals though.  Everybody understands the difference between one and two and I'm sure it won't be long until we start hearing all the unifying the division pish as though he's a lighter version of Golovkin.   It's actually remarkable what Hearn has done with Burns post Beltran there's no doubt about his ability as a businessman.

It is extra marketing leverage to promote to casuals though.  Everybody understands the difference between one and two and I'm sure it won't be long until we start hearing all the unifying the division pish as though he's a lighter version of Golovkin.   It's actually remarkable what Hearn has done with Burns post Beltran there's no doubt about his ability as a businessman.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying re the hype machine - maybe we have a different definition of casual boxing fans.

Would probably have went but I'm on holiday then[emoji20]

I think I get back from my holiday that morning.

A Burns victory against Indongo and Crawford rematch (another very high level HBO fighter like Pacquiao) looks like the plan right now.  Hearn could market that endlessly/HBO can serve it up as being an ok match up because of Roach's comment this weekend and then Burns gets cashed out against Crawford who will ruin him and everybody gets a nice paycheque.

Edited by Kool Keith

6 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying re the hype machine - maybe we have a different definition of casual boxing fans.

I think I get back from my holiday that morning.

Just seen this notification, been a long day working. 

As a couple of people posting on a Scottish football website, it's not our individual definition of a casual fan that's important, more an understanding of how the promoters see the casual fan and how they can be manipulated to part with as much cash as possible. 

12 hours ago, Kool Keith said:

A Burns victory against Indongo and Crawford rematch (another very high level HBO fighter like Pacquiao) looks like the plan right now.  Hearn could market that endlessly/HBO can serve it up as being an ok match up because of Roach's comment this weekend and then Burns gets cashed out against Crawford who will ruin him and everybody gets a nice paycheque.

Is that the same way he "ruined him", last time out by decision? Yes, it was clear, but Burns was in the final throws of his bout with Warren in the courts. Which DID "ruin him".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/30045000