The mad competitive West Super Division One thread 2016-2017

glensmad

Renfrew's recent form is certainly eye-catching, 6 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat in their last 8 games, including wins over promotion contenders Clydebank (twice) and Girvan. They only took 1 point out of the first 18, but since then they've taken 19 points out of the next 24.  That shows what a change of management can do for a club. Cumbernauld United's supporters will be hoping for a similar reaction when they appoint their new manager in the next day or two.
Shettleston's change of management doesn't seem to have impacted on their promotion hopes so far, two wins out of two and they have quietly gone top of the league tonight.
I took in Blantyre v Girvan today when our game got called off, and it was a much better Girvan side from the one I saw at Renfrew a few weeks ago. I still think they are the dark horses for the title.

I'm surprised by how well Girvan are doing this season Glensmad. We played them at the start of the season and totally outplayed them for 90mins. The standard must not be great in the Super 1st this season sir.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Renfrew's recent form is certainly eye-catching, 6 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat in their last 8 games, including wins over promotion contenders Clydebank (twice) and Girvan. They only took 1 point out of the first 18, but since then they've taken 19 points out of the next 24.  That shows what a change of management can do for a club. Cumbernauld United's supporters will be hoping for a similar reaction when they appoint their new manager in the next day or two.

Shettleston's change of management doesn't seem to have impacted on their promotion hopes so far, two wins out of two and they have quietly gone top of the league tonight.

I took in Blantyre v Girvan today when our game got called off, and it was a much better Girvan side from the one I saw at Renfrew a few weeks ago. I still think they are the dark horses for the title.

We haven't had a change of management. The same guys have been in charge for about 7 or 8 years. The Clydebank game was the start of a great run but maybe, apart from the game at The Celcius and at Petershill Park, we've not been too far away in other games. Odd goal defeats against Shettleston and Kilsyth, a draw against Meadow when they scored in the 93rd minute, and throwing away a two goal lead to lose 3-2 against Cumbernauld have all been frustrating. We brought in around 10 new players at the start of the season and lost Alain Kinney through injury. The first few games were all about finding our best team, and we struggled to gel. Now we have probably used the same 14 players over the last 6 games and the new guys are looking more assured with each passing game. We didn't play great today-The Girvan match was probably our best performance of the season- but we kept going and maybe could have had another goal . Good Luck to Clydebank for the rest of the season.

We haven't had a change of management. The same guys have been in charge for about 7 or 8 years.

Yeh, so I'm told, I just got a text to tell me that. I'm not sure who I was mixing Renfrew up with, my apologies.

Am not that suprised at a resurgent Renfrew side , we beat them 2-1 at there new park in a hard fought friday night game , and we beat them in the west after pens after a 0-0 draw but in all honesty they were much better than us that day an were very unlucky not to beat us , they looked a strong team that day an have went from strengh to strengh since.

More rain forecast for this week, so there may be a few casualties again, but here are this Saturday's fixtures.

Blantyre Victoria (12th) v Yoker Athletic (8th)

Clydebank (3rd) v Rutherglen Glencairn (9th)

Girvan (4th) v Irvine Victoria (14th)

Irvine Meadow XI (6th) v Shotts Bon Accord (11th)

Petershill (5th) v Shettleston (1st)

Renfrew (7th) v Maryhill (13th)

Your thoughts ?

13 minutes ago, KilsythCoyle said:

Petershill defo back playing at home this weekend on the new surface??

Apparently the "new pitch" is being installed by the Council but was donated to them by Celtic so not an entirely new surface.

54 minutes ago, Taxman said:

Apparently the "new pitch" is being installed by the Council but was donated to them by Celtic so not an entirely new surface.

Yes, I heard that as well, apparently it's a pitch which Celtic are finished with at Lennoxtown and they've just given it to the council.

Presumably, if that is true, then Celtic deem it to be no longer fit for their purpose.

4 hours ago, glensmad said:

Yes, I heard that as well, apparently it's a pitch which Celtic are finished with at Lennoxtown and they've just given it to the council.

Presumably, if that is true, then Celtic deem it to be no longer fit for their purpose.

Well it looked pretty decent to me when I was up :thumsup2

Got absolutely no idea where this rumour or "alternative truth" came from, but it's completely false. Pitch is brand new out the wrapper, players trained on it tonight and were very impressed, it's night and day from the old one, even when it was new.

4b162cf5994d114670fc985a3e58e312.jpg

Got absolutely no idea where this rumour or "alternative truth" came from, but it's completely false. Pitch is brand new out the wrapper, players trained on it tonight and were very impressed, it's night and day from the old one, even when it was new.

4b162cf5994d114670fc985a3e58e312.jpg

Looking forward to seeing it up close and watching my team playing on it this season. Is it similar to Renfrew's pitch, or the even better surface at Glasgow Green ?

On 31/01/2017 at 10:44, glensmad said:

More rain forecast for this week, so there may be a few casualties again, but here are this Saturday's fixtures.

Blantyre Victoria (12th) v Yoker Athletic (8th)

Clydebank (3rd) v Rutherglen Glencairn (9th)

Girvan (4th) v Irvine Victoria (14th)

Irvine Meadow XI (6th) v Shotts Bon Accord (11th)

Petershill (5th) v Shettleston (1st)

Renfrew (7th) v Maryhill (13th)

Your thoughts ?

Blantyre...vics to win by a few

Draw....2-2   3-3  

Girvan...easy home win

Meadow...close Medda victory

Draw...take a draw....peasy on a bit of a run with 1 defeat in 6...long time since we won up the hill

Renfrew...seem to be finding their feet....1-0/2-1

Haven't set foot on either of them, but this one feels terrific underfoot. Most noticeable difference is that the ball doesn't roll as far.

If it's been supplied by Glasgow City Council, then I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same as the new pitch at Glasgow Green, which is the best I've seen around.

14 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Looking forward to seeing it up close and watching my team playing on it this season. Is it similar to Renfrew's pitch, or the even better surface at Glasgow Green ?

I'll be on it next week with my own squad. Look forward to trying it out with the young lads :thumsup2

Archived