Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

54 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:
1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:
Be interested to hear how many Saints fans were there tonight to see how much of a negative impact the seating arrangement had.  Trying to work it out based on the amounts each stand holds.
Crowd of 8743 apparently, which might include all season ticket holders regardless of attendance?
Am I right in thinking that's the biggest crowd at McDiarmid Park since November 2001 [mention=6873]Radford[/mention] ?
Shame it's the only way to do it, and you have to try to blank out their pish, but it was nice to see McDiarmid almost full under the lights just for a wee change.

Crowd was only 7900

Just went on the BBC stat with the 8743.

If only 7900, at a guess around 1100 of them Saints fans?

Wright has told journalists that he's after 'one or two' loans over the next 48 hours.

Unless he's doing his usual and telling us wee white lies, that rules out a return for Tony Watt and probably for Macca too :( 

Highly doubtful. The focus seems to be a central midfielder and a striker. I'd like us to be in for Hodson as it would presumably push Ralston down the pecking order but if we do sign a full back it's likely to be Rooney from ICT I'd imagine.

The crowd all depends on the accurate figure. @PauloPerth

As you say, the media figure is 8,743, which is what I thought was read out. Some of the press are also running with an away figure of 6,339 supporters, so 2,404 home fans, a massive inprovement on usual. I felt the stand was fairly busy? What about others? 

If the 8,743 figure is right, it's the biggest crowd since November 2001; a crowd of 9,041 watched Chris Sutton dive in the last minute and Henrik Larsson score the resultant free-kick to steal a 2-1 win. 

Very much a fan of your punchy replies over the past 12 hours.

1 hour ago, perthsaint1977 said:
9 hours ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:
Is that people who actually attended the game or tickets sold 

Folk who entered the stadium last night

The reason that I asked is because I believe that many O/F fans tend to buy tickets for every away game because it gives them priority for games they want to attend..That is why you see some games where the allocation has been sold out and there are empty seats..So the size of the crowd on the day does not always equate to the tickets sold 

Reading that, he could fit into the midfield three if asked, probably in a deeper role. He sounds like a mix of Davidson and Holt.

Still not convinced that we're in desperate need of a midfielder if I'm honest but I doubt we'll get much better. I don't imagine O'Neill would send Wright a dud either so can assume he's at least highly thought of.

Edited by Kyle

It’s a strange one, cause of Spoony’s recent upturn in form and the consistent brilliance of McCann you’re then left with 1 position that can be filled by Holt, Craig, Davidson (when fit). Now Liam doesn’t have the legs to play every week and is limited and we know Davidson is likely to miss games with suspension, etc.

Plus Spoony has never been the most reliable. It makes me think that the lad coming in, is a different type of player which might add some much needed height and aggression in the middle. Either way I’d rather have options if we’re going with a midfield 3 and he sounds like a decent punt.

On second thoughts maybe it would allow McCann to push up the pitch more, as he’s generally better going box to box as we’ve seen he can grab goals recently. He does a good job deeper, but actually he’s more effective when allowed to go back to front and get in the box.

Feel the next few months could be absolutely pivotal in the future of St Johnstone.

Its hard to be calm and objective in such a tumultuous season, and a defeat to hearts on Saturday and it’s all doom and despair again!

But I came away last night having watched a young Saints team, about half of which we’ve developed as young players, feeling optimistic that this team could really kick on, as we have the nucleus of a fantastic young side.

The amount of confidence,  belief and experience these young players will take forward from being bottom of the league and written off to hopefully staying in the division can’t be overstated. And it’ll be the youngsters who’ve played a big part in dragging us out of the shite.

Watching Kerr and Gordon get the better of celtic’s forwards in that second half, Ali McCann get stuck in and always have the confidence to look for a pass, Callum Hendry play with a bit of swagger etc  was a breath of fresh air after recent capitulations against celtic. 

Ultimately playing well when the game is done isn’t worth that much, and the next big step is going for to toe from kick off. 

But I just feel if we can stay up this season, keep these players together, and with a lot of bigger salaries coming off the wage bill and a few new quality signings, we could be a very good team next year.

Possibly misplaced optimism though!

49 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Reading that, he could fit into the midfield three if asked, probably in a deeper role. He sounds like a mix of Davidson and Holt.

Still not convinced that we're in desperate need of a midfielder if I'm honest but I doubt we'll get much better. I don't imagine O'Neill would send Wright a dud either so can assume he's at least highly thought of.

Suspect it's becuse he's decided not to keep Holt and fears losing McCann, and Murray usually picks up an injury or two. 

That's assuming it's more than a rest of season loan.

Suspect it's becuse he's decided not to keep Holt and fears losing McCann, and Murray usually picks up an injury or two. 
That's assuming it's more than a rest of season loan.

It won’t be, it’ll be 6 months for the guy to get game time and Wright will report back to O’Neil on his progress to see if he’s ready for next season at Stoke. He’s got another 3 years in his desk after all.

I dunno whether we’ll move for Holt, he’s decent and I quite like him, but not sure we couldn’t do better for the money he would want. He’s a bit of a middling player. McCann won’t move anywhere in the summer, he’s happy at saints and knows that another year will only help to improve him and playing every week is what he needs.

What @PauloPerth said above is what is keeping me hopeful. If we manage to keep ourselves up, we have some very good young players signed up for next season and Wright will have the capacity to add some real quality in the summer.

Contracted for next year;

Clark, Parish, Sinclair

Duffy, Rooney, Gordon, Kerr, McCart, Tanser

McCann, Wotherspoon

May, O'Halloran

Out of contract/loans expring

Johnstone

Ralston, Vihmann, Anderson, Booth

Wright, Callachan, Davidson, Craig, Holt, Swanson

McMillan, Kane, Hendry

With a few notable exceptions, the club is in a pretty good place in terms of what we are retaining/adding and what we are getting rid of.

We are probably looking to add somewhere between 9-12 players to that list above. That'll include some contract renewals no doubt (Davidson, Wright, Hendry, Booth a- Craig, Holt and Kane probably the other possiblilites). Then we'll probably be after 4 or 5 new signings in addition to Rooney and McCart. If the manager is given a like for like budget, he has a lot of money to play with him in terms of wages and potentially fees - McMillan, Anderson, Swanson, Callachan and Holt in particular wont be cheap - so it will be interesting to see what he does with that money.

Edited by Kyle