Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

45 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Has he always had such a baw face, or has he really enjoyed his lockdown?

He's always had a chubby wee face.

8 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

what type of midfielder was he? 

f**k knows. Too slow for the wing, doesn't track runners in the middle, not good enough on the ball to play as a 10.

You probably have to build a midfield 5 around him and let him just roam forward every so often and bang goals in from 30 yards.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's always had a chubby wee face.

I dread to think the nick of our players when we come back, especially as we have an extra month before pre-season training.  Halkett in particular seems to like his grub.

8 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

I dread to think the nick of our players when we come back, especially as we have an extra month before pre-season training.  Halkett in particular seems to like his grub.

I'm sure you'll sue the food industry and get some compensation though, so it's not all bad.

The Drey Wright move is a rare win for all sides, Saints get a big wage off the ledger, Hibs get a player who makes their team more exciting and Saints get yet another ex pat playing for a team we will be more than capable of beating.

3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

We're rumoured to be interested in Blair Alston, I'm presuming that since he's went from the Saints, to Accies, and he's moving down again that he wasn't upto the Premier, but what type of midfielder was he? 

He has a good work rate and scores an occasional spectacular goal..Not physically strong, but not a bad player..He was a bit short of being a regular starter at this level but should do well for you..

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

We're rumoured to be interested in Blair Alston, I'm presuming that since he's went from the Saints, to Accies, and he's moving down again that he wasn't upto the Premier, but what type of midfielder was he? 

No doubt has ability but pretty much has zero pace. Absolutely without question lacks self belief that he could step up to Premiership level. 

He would score, play well and then for the next 2-3 months he would be a non entity. Few injuries here and there as well. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

If you draw Rangers in the cup he will score.

3 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

If you draw Rangers in the cup he will score.

That'd be nice I suppose. 

Cheers for the replies, my worry would be we're signing a talented footballer without an idea of how to fit him into the system. 

13 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

That'd be nice I suppose. 

Cheers for the replies, my worry would be we're signing a talented footballer without an idea of how to fit him into the system. 

Similar issue at Saints. Potentially same issue at Hamilton as well. 

To slow for out wide right nor the dribbling ability to compensate or to allow him to play on the left and cut inside.

He prefers to play centrally. A few decent performances in there but not involved in the game enough while playing there imo. Cliché but "game passes him by" to often. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Updating the transfer thread and starting to get a case of the Van Dykes with the lack of depth we have compared to the other sides you'd hope we could challenge for the top half against...

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Updating the transfer thread and starting to get a case of the Van Dykes with the lack of depth we have compared to the other sides you'd hope we could challenge for the top half against...

Knowing Saints though and how we've done business in the past we'll wait till late. Save on the wages and tests for now 😂

Like I posted the other day. We'll wait it out and end up signing someone who right now wouldn't come to Saints but due to current situation didn't get the offer they were looking for so comes onto our radar. 

There’s isn’t anyone our rivals (i.e Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Livingston) are signing that I’m disappointed about. So right now I’m not bothered. Kilmarnock are taking punts from down south, Livi the same but foreign. St Mirren are making solid signings, but none who I’d put in our first XI.

Hibs have done some good business but we can’t afford to compete in that market.

Just now, Widge said:

There’s isn’t anyone our rivals (i.e Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Livingston) are signing that I’m disappointed about. So right now I’m not bothered. Kilmarnock are taking punts from down south, Livi the same but foreign. St Mirren are making solid signings, but none who I’d put in our first XI.

Hibs have done some good business but we can’t afford to compete in that market.

Its really hard to remember we started from a stronger base than these sides tbh, especially with it being so long since I've seen them play.

Folk often say that a player will do well down a league but I think that genuinely is the case for Alston. Different player but in terms of ranking his time at Saints, I'd bracket him alongside Paul Paton and Drey Wright. 

17 minutes ago, Radford said:

Folk often say that a player will do well down a league but I think that genuinely is the case for Alston. Different player but in terms of ranking his time at Saints, I'd bracket him alongside Paul Paton and Drey Wright. 

You're at it 😁 Wright is class above the other two..Paton and Alston were only ever squad players Wright (when fully fit) was a first pick.

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

19 minutes ago, Radford said:

Would agree with this entirely. 

Was just looking at Wrights time here in terms of numbers in all competitions...

Time at club: 25 months

Time at club during football season: 18 months 

Time injured: 10 months

Games played: 45

Games missed: 34

Goals: 2

Its "moneyball" in action to let him go tbh, regardless of the wage he would take.