Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

With a couple of ITKs on the thread hinting at news this week and it not materialising, I'm pretty hopeful that we'll be hearing something in the next 5 days. 

Would be fairly surprised if this all wasn't discussed as part of the new manager's negotiations. It would surely be odd to take the job with Brown saying 'you can't sign any players at all'?

Never know I suppose and these are unusual times but that would be bizarre. 

2 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

With a couple of ITKs on the thread hinting at news this week and it not materialising, I'm pretty hopeful that we'll be hearing something in the next 5 days. 

Would be fairly surprised if this all wasn't discussed as part of the new manager's negotiations. It would surely be odd to take the job with Brown saying 'you can't sign any players at all'?

Never know I suppose and these are unusual times but that would be bizarre. 

Drey Wright isn't joining Hibs until July 26th, so there's a chance that's when the window opens.

So its potentially another 14 days until the club will sanction a signing.

It would make absolutely no sense to do that.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Drey Wright isn't joining Hibs until July 26th, so there's a chance that's when the window opens.

So its potentially another 14 days until the club will sanction a signing.

It would make absolutely no sense to do that.

So is what you’re saying, we may have players who have agreed to come but they may not be allowed to sign until 26 July? 

10 minutes ago, Bose said:

So is what you’re saying, we may have players who have agreed to come but they may not be allowed to sign until 26 July? 

There's a chance, but if we're telling agents we're not signing anyone until the window opens (which doesn't have a date yet, with UEFA granting one specific day to register new signings for the new season earlier this Summer and potentially doing the same again instead of a proper window), then its highly unlikely.

Edited by RandomGuy.

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Wright isn’t joining until the 26th July because that’s when the Agreement from their players to take wage cuts end.

Aye, but why is that when the agreement ends? 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's a chance, but if we're telling agents we're not signing anyone until the window opens (which doesn't have a date yet, with UEFA granting one specific day to register new signings for the new season earlier this Summer and potentially doing the same again instead of a proper window), then its highly unlikely.

So you’re basing this on an agent, who doesn’t have an agenda, that you didn’t actually hear on the radio but read about it somewhere? Can you see why perhaps I’m not 100% behind this theory? 

4 minutes ago, Bose said:

So you’re basing this on an agent, who doesn’t have an agenda, that you didn’t actually hear on the radio but read about it somewhere? Can you see why perhaps I’m not 100% behind this theory? 

I imagine most folk are thinking I'm an absolute fanny just now tbh, but the fact remains we've got no depth, a rookie manager, and the season starts in 20 days.

IF it turns out to be true that the club are actively refusing to sign players, then that is horrendous. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I imagine most folk are thinking I'm an absolute fanny just now tbh, but the fact remains we've got no depth, a rookie manager, and the season starts in 20 days.

IF it turns out to be true that the club are actively refusing to sign players, then that is horrendous. 

I don’t think you’re a fanny at all. I admire your enthusiasm. As I’ve got older I tend to be much more mellow about football things.  I would need to know the reasons for not signing anyone before judging.  I have serious doubts that it would be to save a couple of weeks wages

7 minutes ago, Bose said:

I have serious doubts that it would be to save a couple of weeks wages

Honestly?

My understanding was that a deal (probably on loan) was progressing and was close to being completed this week...I'm sure that a couple of signings will come but sometimes it's better to wait to sign a player you want rather than just sign someone to make up the numbers...With squads and budgets being cut back there are going to be plenty of good players out of contract or available for loan.

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

14 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

My understanding was that a deal (probably on loan) was progressing and was close to being completed this week

Can always bet on a wee moan getting the details out the ITK posters.

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd lost track in this covid madness world - thank f**k for that!

If we’re wanting to sign someone available on a free, we better do it soon or the player will struggle to get up to speed for the first few games of the season. If it’s a loans we’re looking at and the players are training, it’s less pressing and I imagine saving a few weeks wages is attractive to the club right now. We have the spine of a very strong squad but we definitely need more options, particularly in wide areas and in the centre of midfield. 

The club have been very quiet since lockdown really, which is understandable given most of the staff will either have been or will still be on furlough. 

5 minutes ago, Doctor said:

I'd lost track in this covid madness world - thank f**k for that!

Its easy to lose track considering youd have no idea we were selling season tickets, nobody is being signed and the strip for next season hasn't been revealed yet.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Honestly?

Wouldn't be shocked if we did want to save the wages + cost of covid tests as well.

Is there potentially an insurance aspect to it as well? Nothing stopping us signing players but particularly due Covid situation players potentially not insured if they're not registered and as we can't register them yet they therefore can't train with us? Just speculating though as other clubs seem to be managing?

Can imagine the club will be wanting to follow rules around those kind of things very stringently.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can always bet on a wee moan getting the details out the ITK posters.

I am not, and have never claimed to be ITK. The info that I get comes from someone who is very much ITK but not quite as ITK as he was before someone recently departed the club...Hence the sketchy details on this one.