Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The contracts run based on dates rather than windows. It's why you've seen EPL & Championship teams getting players to sign extensions to the end of the month (or not in Ryan Fraser's case).

Aye, but why would a club extend a players deal by a month, and then allow him to train in a different country?

Presumably we're not paying a fee for a player, and a loan deal shouldn't matter as it would be Scotlands transfer window that matters, not Englands (unless there's something funny about loan deals, but cross border theyre classed as transfers so I don't see how it would be different).

I'm likely overthinking this.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, but why would a club extend a players deal by a month, and then allow him to train in a different country?

Presumably we're not paying a fee for a player, and a loan deal shouldn't matter as it would be Scotlands transfer window that matters, not Englands (unless there's something funny about loan deals, but cross border theyre classed as transfers so I don't see how it would be different).

I'm likely overthinking this.

Aye, fwiw I was talking about the contracts/windows in general rather than specifically about the players Saints may have training.

I think most English clubs have announced their retained/released lists by now so as you say I don't see why there would be an issue with an OOC player moving.

6 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Can some  of the Itk lads pm me details of these potential signings please, would be very grateful 

If you're on twitter look up "St. Johnstone" on there. I've seen 1 person hint a name and the other just outright tweet the player and ask if he's signing for Saints... 😂

I was going to just share the links to those tweets here? 

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I think most English clubs have announced their retained/released lists by now so as you say I don't see why there would be an issue with an OOC player moving.

Yup, but if you're agreeing with me, then you're likely wrong, so further research is required :lol:

9 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Can some  of the Itk lads pm me details of these potential signings please, would be very grateful 

1 minute ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

If you're on twitter look up "St. Johnstone" on there. I've seen 1 person hint a name and the other just outright tweet the player and ask if he's signing for Saints... 😂

I was going to just share the links to those tweets here? 

Paulos old so probably can't use Twitter, but the boy being tweeted is Craig Conway.

Conway got 6 assists in 20 games for Salford in League Two last season, an assist every 230 minutes.

Most important part would be he has both experience, which this young squad needs, and the ability play on both wings.

1 minute ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I wasn't sure if there was a reason no one was just outright naming him. 

IF YOU HEAR A RUMOUR GET IT POSTED ASAP SO I CAN WASTE MY LIFE LOOKING AT NUMBERS.

How very fucking dare you keep this from me.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

IF YOU HEAR A RUMOUR GET IT POSTED ASAP SO I CAN WASTE MY LIFE LOOKING AT NUMBERS.

How very fucking dare you keep this from me.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Conway got 6 assists in 20 games for Salford in League Two last season, an assist every 230 minutes.

Most important part would be he has both experience, which this young squad needs, and the ability play on both wings.

Tbf they're stats others are interested in hearing as well. 35 though...

I'll make sure I share any rumours in future 😂

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

There's yer Steven Lawless joined Burton Albion. Know a few folk in here wanted him.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Thirty five goes against the policy of lowering the age.  No money to be made from a sell on so really would be against the way the club have operated recently.  

That being said I’m not itk. 

6 minutes ago, Bose said:

Thirty five goes against the policy of lowering the age.  No money to be made from a sell on so really would be against the way the club have operated recently.  

Yeah when I seen he was 35 I did think similar.

Likewise not itk so no idea if true or not. Guess we'll find out. 

19 minutes ago, Bose said:

10 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Yeah when I seen he was 35 I did think similar.

Likewise not itk so no idea if true or not. Guess we'll find out. 

I'm a massive fan of developing youth to sell at a profit, but it would be foolish to only sign U23yo players you intend to sell within a few years.

You need experienced players to help them grow, and provide a safety net if they lose some form.

Conway coming in for two seasons could be massive for the development of the young wingers at the club.

5 minutes ago, Radford said:

Craig Conway would be a great signing. 

If it was 2010.

Sadfords appearance is the highlight of every Summer, IMO.

If Sassy Sadford appears, we'll have peaked early.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm a massive fan of developing youth to sell at a profit, but it would be foolish to only sign U23yo players you intend to sell within a few years.

You need experienced players to help them grow, and provide a safety net if they lose some form.

Conway coming in for two seasons could be massive for the development of the young wingers at the club.

This squad got off the bottom of the league and up to sixth.  That experience will be invaluable. Murray Davidson, Liam Craig and Stevie May have a fair bit of experience now. As does Wetherspoon.

Edited by Bose

35 year old wingers. Other than Chris Burke, I'm struggling to think of too many others who have been able to last the pace at this level at that age as a wide player.

Certainly a good pedigree and you've got to trust the new manager but I don't see him being any cheaper than Swanson and being released by a mid table club in league two is hardly a ringing endorsement of where he is right now.

5 minutes ago, Bose said:

This squad got off the bottom of the league and up to sixth.  That experience will be invaluable. Murray Davidson, Liam Craig and Stevie May have a fair bit of experience now. As does Wetherspoon.

Well yeah, but theres different types of experience.

Duberry had a huge impact on Anderson, Morris had a huge impact on Millar. Both Anderson and Millar had "experience" before then, but still gained something from those two.

Conway is a tier below those two, but still has almost 500 senior games under his belt, including over 150 in the Scottish top flight, over 250 in the English Championship (including a title winning side), and 7 caps for Scotland.

MOH and Wotherspoon on either wing, Conway as cover for both while also mentoring Robertson/Northcott. Next season you look at the younger players to take over from Conway as back up, and then push the starters.

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

35 year old wingers. Other than Chris Burke, I'm struggling to think of too many others who have been able to last the pace at this level at that age as a wide player.

Certainly a good pedigree and you've got to trust the new manager but I don't see him being any cheaper than Swanson and being released by a mid table club in league two is hardly a ringing endorsement of where he is right now.

Theres an article from 2 weeks ago saying Salford were holding off any contract extensions and Conway was still unsure if he was getting a new deal.

Based solely on highlights of Salford he looks quicker than Wotherspoon, and most of the chances he creates are from making space through movement and swinging a cross in. Remarkably consistent at dropping it on the head of a striker.