Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

It's all going to come down to age, isn't it? Since he left United, he looks to have done pretty well down south but took until October to get fixed up last summer. Anyone know why? 

When he did arrive at Salford, he was in and out of the team but again, was that injury? Either way, that'd be a concern considering it was League Two. 

Probably even two years ago, this is a great signing (that's probably outwith our reach) but that 35 is a big number. 

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

It's all going to come down to age, isn't it? Since he left United, he looks to have done pretty well down south but took until October to get fixed up last summer. Anyone know why? 

When he did arrive at Salford, he was in and out of the team but again, was that injury? Either way, that'd be a concern considering it was League Two. 

Probably even two years ago, this is a great signing (that's probably outwith our reach) but that 35 is a big number. 

As far as I can find, with the caveat its the player himself saying it, he turned down a new contract at Blackburn (confirmed by their manager) and some other offers as he wanted a club who would guarantee him starts. He almost signed for Bolton but that fell through because that clubs a fucking mess.

He started his firsy 5 games at Salford (played over 80 mins in 4), dropped out for the game against Swindon and Macclesfied (played Tuesday "got a knock", then missed the game on Saturday, then the next Saturday). A sub appearance in his first game after a knock, and then 7 consecutive starts.

After a run of 3 consecutive losses they seemed to change shape and he never regained his starting spot for the remaining 7 weeks of the season.

Even if he ends up doing pretty well, he'll completely ruin our young squad's average age. I don't like this one bit. The new and improved St Johnstone is supposed to be youthful, fresh, raw and fearless. No old people, please.

Edited by The Real Saints

26 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Even if he ends up doing pretty well, he'll completely ruin our young squad's average age. I don't like this one bit. The new and improved St Johnstone is supposed to be youthful, fresh, raw and fearless. No old people, please.

You can't win anything with kids 

What do people think the financial impact of covid will be on saints? I can’t see how we would actually lose that much money so far. 

we were only due 1 more home game before the split and 2 after I think but we had cup game against Celtic, which more than likely would’ve offset any loses from those. We just had 7k plus crowds against both the old firm in the last month before the shut down. Brown said we budgeted for 6th which we got. All the players/staff wages would be covered completely by furlough. I know we would have lost the use of mcdiarmid for funerals/parties, would this have been a big loss? Also since last season 10 players and a highly paid manger have left. 

The club were topping up wages not covered by furlough too, which is a substantial amount of money given they only covered up to £2,500 a month. We've got (or had) a decent amount of money in the bank so in a better place than most to absorb a hit such as COVID, as long as it doesn't go on for too much longer.

What do people think the financial impact of covid will be on saints? I can’t see how we would actually lose that much money so far. 

we were only due 1 more home game before the split and 2 after I think but we had cup game against Celtic, which more than likely would’ve offset any loses from those. We just had 7k plus crowds against both the old firm in the last month before the shut down. Brown said we budgeted for 6th which we got. All the players/staff wages would be covered completely by furlough. I know we would have lost the use of mcdiarmid for funerals/parties, would this have been a big loss? Also since last season 10 players and a highly paid manger have left. 
Aye, you're right. No income for four months either from football or other sources could not have had any impact on Saints finances. Broon should be splashing the cash and putting the future of the club at risk, ignoring the fact that we may have another spike in the virus in the near future which may lead to another suspension of football. Quicker he steps aside and hands over control of the club to you the better tbh.

8 hours ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

You could say we have been hit harder than some other clubs as our income has been substantially reduced during this period with no other activity taking place , we as a club rely on theses other activity's to off set our lower crowds i would say, i would estimate a £12,000 loss a week on funerals alone which over the period is the best part of £200,000K turnover( 60K GP estimated) never to be recuperated, You could probably double that figure for conference losses during the day and weddings, birthdays special occasions at the weekends.           

That's loss of revenue, you would need to understand the costs of sale and fixed costs involved in those operations to figure out the actual cash loss for the period.

You would imagine the catering staff etc will be largely covered by furlough grant available.

52 minutes ago, The Marly said:
8 hours ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Aye, you're right. No income for four months either from football or other sources could not have had any impact on Saints finances. Broon should be splashing the cash and putting the future of the club at risk, ignoring the fact that we may have another spike in the virus in the near future which may lead to another suspension of football. Quicker he steps aside and hands over control of the club to you the better tbh.

Where did I say he should spend any money? It was a genuine question to see what people thought the financial impact of covid would be. You continue to be sarcastic and edgy though, well done