Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Radford said:

As late as lunchtime, Kiltie's agent was on the phone to Scott Boyd trying to get him to match the St Mirren offer as the player wanted to move to Perth but we were completely blown out of the water.

We would have had to make him out highest paid player to seal the deal.

Fair play Radford for catching a few fellow saintees with your “blown out the water”, “highest earner” gimmick, didn’t think anyone still bought that. Fair play indeed 

8 minutes ago, Widge said:

I’d have taken Kiltie, but the reality is he’d have been coming in as back up for Wotherspoon, which probably put him off. Also happy for St Mirren to put their budget into players who’d be back up for us, but we really do need to start fleshing out the squad a little more. Not that I’m worried, Davidson will be on the case now, he’s allowed a little break to say the least. 

That's something that could potentially be problem. We have the core of a good team, and if we manage to retain them all, then we are looking for backup players, or ones to bring something different in. Would that put off players that want to get regular football, or would they see earning a place in our team as a valuable stepping stone on their careers?

Either way, I think we do need to get a few in for these backup type roles. We were quite fortunate last season, but a couple of injuries in the wrong places in such a small squad could have really hurt us. Also, if we get a European run we will be playing twice a week for a chunk of the season, so will need to have a large enough squad to rotate players.

St Mirren really are taking the ‘trying to emulate St Johnstone’ thing seriously aren’t they?

Blowing us out the water in offers to a couple of our players and doing the same for a player we are interested in.

You feel if they’re really splashing the cash this summer then top six is only a matter of time..

Good luck to them.

I think Tanser and his agent’s actions over the last few months show he’ll sign for whoever the highest bidder is. A decent player and would be a good signing for St Mirren, but I can’t help but feel that Booth is at least as good or slightly better for us given how he links with the rest of the team. I don’t think it’s worth pushing the boat out for a left wing back, especially one who we’ve not missed at all whilst he’s been out of the team. 

Edited by Kyle

Losing out on Kiltie is a blow, in all seriousness. He wouldn't be a starter this season but he reeks of the type who'd come to us and solidly play ~150 games and keep us ticking over.

We have a strong squad and the priority always felt to keep it together as much as possible, but I would like to see players added soon. Its almost 4 months since we confirmed a top half finish and all we've done since then is extend contracts for squad players, while losing Tanser, Middleton, and Melamed.

Window obviously still a long way to go, and we're starting later than most, but I'd hoped we'd be a bit more proactive tbh. 

Seeing as we always do best by bringing former players back, I do wonder if we could go after Drey Wright again.

Really good and likeable player, he's seen the grass isn't greener by being on the bench for the semi and final against us and he would give cover on either wing and probably at RWB, maybe even on the left too

Losing out on Kiltie is a blow, in all seriousness. He wouldn't be a starter this season but he reeks of the type who'd come to us and solidly play ~150 games and keep us ticking over.
We have a strong squad and the priority always felt to keep it together as much as possible, but I would like to see players added soon. Its almost 4 months since we confirmed a top half finish and all we've done since then is extend contracts for squad players, while losing Tanser, Middleton, and Melamed.
Window obviously still a long way to go, and we're starting later than most, but I'd hoped we'd be a bit more proactive tbh. 
Plenty of time. Give the manager a chance.

7 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think Tanser and his agent’s actions over the last few months show he’ll sign for whoever the highest bidder is. A decent player and would be a good signing for St Mirren, but I can’t help but feel that Booth is at least as good or slightly better for us given how he links with the rest of the team. I don’t think it’s worth pushing the boat out for a left wing back, especially one who we’ve not missed at all whilst he’s been out of the team. 

Can you see Tanser pulling off the double tackle that Booth did in the final?

17 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Can you see Tanser pulling off the double tackle that Booth did in the final?

Was going to say this, Tanser has developed at Saints of that there's no doubt, it is time for his and his agents dramas to move on now though.

This one’s a bit embarrassing for me as I was under the impression that Greg Kiltie’s a decent player and would probably be a good signing for us. I even vocalised these thoughts publicly. Having just signed for St. Mirren, it’s since become apparent that I was clearly overestimating his abilities. Happy to hold my hands up and admit I was wrong. Glad we’ve avoided him.

2 minutes ago, The Marly said:

You're overreacting to St Mirren signing a half decent player.
Kiltie would have been a decent signing, but he isn't Messi.

I'm just terrified we repeat the Summer of 2014. Would it be a massive shock if we don't add anyone to improve the first team, end up losing McCann in the final weeks of August, and spend the final week scrambling about for a CM on loan because Gilmours nowhere near it?

Plenty of time to go, and the better players probably become available later on, but Kiltie is exactly the profile we want (Wotherspoon deputy, under 25, experienced at this level), and we've lost out with him to a team who consistently finish below us. There's nobody else available who matches that profile that I can think of.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm just terrified we repeat the Summer of 2014. Would it be a massive shock if we don't add anyone to improve the first team, end up losing McCann in the final weeks of August, and spend the final week scrambling about for a CM on loan because Gilmours nowhere near it?

Plenty of time to go, and the better players probably become available later on, but Kiltie is exactly the profile we want (Wotherspoon deputy, under 25, experienced at this level), and we've lost out with him to a team who consistently finish below us. There's nobody else available who matches that profile that I can think of.

Please stop being a melodramatic twat Random. Thanks.