Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Not happy with this Callum Davidson to Nottingham Forrest chat emerging on Twitter, even if it seems to be mostly crap

If any manager in Scotland was going to have an early link to the English championship it would’ve been Davidson.

Even if he does want to move on, I think he’d rather go to a club that’s not a complete basket case like Nottingham Forest.

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

If any manager in Scotland was going to have an early link to the English championship it would’ve been Davidson.

Even if he does want to move on, I think he’d rather go to a club that’s not a complete basket case like Nottingham Forest.

In fairness it seems to be coming from an utter sh*te source, plus I'm sure they go through several managers a season so surely not attractive

For Ilves he generally seemed to play off a striker. In the 5-2-3 shape we play he never seems to have been the central player for them, but thats based off WyScout line ups which can be funky. Think hes more of a central player than a winger like MOH, if that makes sense? Potentially a case of he'll be competing with Wotherspoon, while MOH and Middleton compete for the spot on the right when we play 2 wide men, and then Vertainen will be first choice beside Kane if we go with 2 more central strikers.
Thats just guesswork though.

Really interesting - thanks. Second striker/10 who will drift into central areas wherever we play him.

Gives the manager some difficult choices to make when we’re picking 2 from Wotherspoon/Eetu/Middleton and an in form again MOH to go alongside Kane.

1 minute ago, Zamora Fan said:

Really interesting - thanks. Second striker/10 who will drift into central areas wherever we play him.

Gives the manager some difficult choices to make when we’re picking 2 from Wotherspoon/Eetu/Middleton and an in form again MOH to go alongside Kane.

FWIW heres his WyScout report, if you want an in depth look at how he played for Ilves.

E. Vertainen.pdf

We lacked game changing options off the bench last season IMO, especially when struggling to break teams down. He feels a really good fit for what we need.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I get the feeling if it was true it would be reported by someone with some substance, rather than a weirdo Celtic account, but might be wrong.

I always live in the fear of Saints not being a team that's going to attract any real clicks or attention, so people would only report on it if it were true, but this is clearly pish

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW heres his WyScout report, if you want an in depth look at how he played for Ilves.

E. Vertainen.pdf 1.01 MB · 6 downloads

We lacked game changing options off the bench last season IMO, especially when struggling to break teams down. He feels a really good fit for what we need.

Any realistic striker options we could be looking at using your system?

11 hours ago, mizfit said:

Think that'll also keep us safe when Preston manager gone in the next week or two. I'm sure callum would love to manage them, just not under current ownership 

Celtic sign a Croatian boy with seemingly no issue at all, after United get a deal for their FINNISH midfielder over the line last night. Got to wonder why we’ve had such a hold up with Eetu’s work permit…

No international caps is probably the main hold up.

6 minutes ago, perthsaints99 said:

Celtic sign a Croatian boy with seemingly no issue at all, after United get a deal for their FINNISH midfielder over the line last night. Got to wonder why we’ve had such a hold up with Eetu’s work permit…

Assumption central but I'd guess Celtic had their permit approved at the outset. Is he a full international? 

Vertainen would have been turned down initially and it then goes to the appeal process. From what I've gathered, that shouldn't present a problem in itself but it's not exactly quick. 

Hopefully there isn't a time limit on all this...

14 minutes ago, Radford said:

Assumption central but I'd guess Celtic had their permit approved at the outset. Is he a full international? 

Vertainen would have been turned down initially and it then goes to the appeal process. From what I've gathered, that shouldn't present a problem in itself but it's not exactly quick. 

Hopefully there isn't a time limit on all this...

I'd asked this in our thread off the back of us being linked with a Norwegian defender at the start of the week as we're obviously cutting it fine for paperwork stuff if it has to be concluded before the window shuts given it took just over a fortnight after the fact for us to announce Ojala and we'd also had to go through the appeal process despite him having a substantial number of caps (and having captained the national side) along with playing in the Danish top flight.

Alexander seemed to imply in his press conference yesterday that the actual paperwork process can run after the window closes as long as the deal itself is done. But he wasn't exactly convincing on the detail. I suppose United announcing their Finnish player yesterday leans into that idea given they've indicated "The club are now working through the work permit process and hope to have Ilmari available as soon as possible."

Presumably the risk there is that the player isn't actually granted a work permit?

23 minutes ago, perthsaints99 said:

I posted the link earlier in the thread but Rory Smith had an article in the NY Times this week that focused on us signing Ojala with Burrows detailing the whole process: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/19/sports/soccer/scotland-football-brexit.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytsports

The long and the short of it is here and is basically as @Radford says but the article itself is a much deeper dive:

"Britain’s biggest teams face no such hurdles. The current system grants an immediate work permit to any player who has featured in at least 70 percent of competitive games over the last two seasons for any one of soccer’s top 50 national teams. That means any player who has also been a regular for a successful club team in one of Europe’s better leagues is almost certain to be given a pass — or, to use the technical term, a Governing Body Endorsement. It is in these rich waters that clubs in the Premier League tend to do much of their fishing."

"Clubs in Scotland, at the moment, have access to an appeal system. They can apply to the Scottish Football Association for an exemption, making an appointment to press their case as to why a player who has fallen short would still be a worthwhile signing."

"That, though, is only the first step. If the authorities grant a Governing Body Endorsement on appeal, the player — assisted by the club — must then apply for a work visa: filling in an online form, followed by booking a biometrics appointment at a visa application center, run by a number of outside companies to whom the job has been outsourced by the British government. Only once that is complete is the player granted a visa, and the transfer signed off by the government."

f**k the Tories, f**k Brexit etc.

Edited by capt_oats