Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

18 minutes ago, Kyle said:

34 players and Carey is in our strongest 11, and we’ve got a winger as our best right back. 

And Hallberg is the only one of our own players under 30 in there too.

Long way from TW building a young core, as ours is now folk like James Brown, Cammy MacPherson and Dan Phillips. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

Tommy Wright wasn't exactly an an attacking manager but he tried to win games. Especially at home. 

Yes he's often gone away from home and played some pragmatic stuff as well but we often still looked like we were in those games and when being pragmatic we actually looked likely to keep a clean sheet. He'd also not ask players to do things they're not capable of ie, Gordon being responsible for building out from the back from every goal kick. 

The game at home to United after that first half we would have seen pro active changes rather than just panic changes after we're behind. 

56 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

He'd also not ask players to do things they're not capable of ie, Gordon being responsible for building out from the back from every goal kick. 

Aye.

Can you picture a TW squad containing Wotherspoon, Murphy, Carey, May and Clark, and the tactic being get your centre halves on the ball as much as possible/launch crosses into May as a lone striker?

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Yesterday, I swear we were timewating well before half time. Remi was clearly under orders to slow the game down pretty much from kick-off (it seemed to me).

Thought first half yesterday it just looked as though the players had no idea what it was they’d been asked to do, so ended up taking an age to do anything. Clear instruction after half time to run the clock down at any opportunity though. It’s both soul-destroying and embarrassing in equal measure. 

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye.

Can you picture a TW squad containing Wotherspoon, Murphy, Carey, May and Clark, and the tactic being get your centre halves on the ball as much as possible/launch crosses into May as a lone striker?

If we’d conceded a goal like the first yesterday under Wright he’d have torn the squad to bits instantly. Not spoke about them playing well. 

55 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

And Hallberg is the only one of our own players under 30 in there too.

Long way from TW building a young core, as ours is now folk like James Brown, Cammy MacPherson and Dan Phillips. 

The squad is a total disgrace.  So many players that shouldn’t ever have been near us, and also a number who have either lost it or have regressed (hopefully just loss of form. 

Just off the top of my head: Parish, Brown, Gordon, Mahon, Gallacher, Ballantyne, Davidson, Philips, Crawford, Macpherson, McLennan, Carey, MOH, Bair

14 players in our current squad who are either wildly out of form, don’t have it, manager won’t play or youd have to question being there in the year 2023 (I love Muzz but think this looks like a year too far for him now). 

So many other squad issues too. 

First choice goalkeeper is a short term fix. 

the only recognised right back in the squad is James Brown

As RG has mentioned, age of the squad is a huge issue, when we had a young vibrant squad 2 years ago. 

Central midfield - have loads of options but there’s no real balance. Quite telling one of our best performers in there is a central defender who hasn’t played there in years and who struggled badly in his previous two spells in Scottish football

We have loads of attacking midfielders but they are all so similar. All want to play off their weaker side cutting in, none of them really have pace to hurt teams and we are just making like for like changes when we make subs in games. The only ones who offer something different are MOH and McLennan and they both have a severe lack of game intelligence. 

we already have 19 players signed up for next season so, if we are going to start running with a normal squad size and not the ridiculous bloated ones we’ve had the last 2 years, we’re going to be stuck with a lot of the shite for some time to come. 

What Wright would have given to get the freedom Davidson has had to sign players, and Davidson is absolutely useless at squad building. 

Looking forward to Flahertys statement tomorrow about the Cup game, cant imagine he'll break his promise about putting one out.

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Looking forward to Flahertys statement tomorrow about the Cup game, cant imagine he'll break his promise about putting one out.

The only people who'll be happy about it are the same people who'll be going regardless. 

I anticipate it's extremely unlikely to change the mind of those who've said they're not going because of it. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

48 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wouldn’t hear of it. It definitely won’t be bullshit and bluster either. 

This is going to be some statement if Flax is taking it this deep into his own self imposed timeframe. 

My three phrases for the sweepstake are "our hands are tied" "Police Scotland" and "we regret the situation".

We're not that stupid Flax and much like yourself with Police Scotland/SFA and Callums first 11 with almost everyone,  we wont take it up the arse without lube. f**k your cup game you useless c***s.

Edited by tree house tam

18 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Club social media has managed to put a post up promoting the Livingston match, but no statement regarding the Rangers game...you'd think an acknowledgement of the backlash would have been top of the agenda today.

I think theyve absolutely fucked it and have no idea what to say.

Clearly trying to wangle a price drop which is why tickets arent for sale yet, but Rangers have already sold out of theres so a price drop isnt possible.

Proper sliding doors moment for the club. Keep ignoring fans and theyve fucked it even more, but the statement has to be spot on.

48 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Two different people saying we're getting a statement today.

We are getting a statement but really who gives a f**k? Damage is already done, the orcs are in 3 stands and the main prices are out there.

They can grovel and offer deals, blame authorities etc but it certainly won't entice me.

I got an email response back just now, but I suspect it's just a copy and paste job from the impending statement. 

I should add, all it does it address the pricing issue, which was only one of 4 points I raised. None of the other salient points have been addressed and I doubt they will be.

Edited by Widge

This from the club:

Good Afternoon,

Many thanks for your recent note and for the valuable feedback.

As you might appreciate, a number of supporters have been in touch with regard to similar matters raised by you and I thought it would be useful to write to you to explain some of the issues which the Club required to address when considering the pricing of the Scottish Cup tie with Rangers FC.

The Club has considered the attendances of Season Ticket holders and supporters at Old Firm matches in recent Seasons, and despite various incentives which have been offered, Home Support attendances have been modest, to say the least. Despite the inconvenience to some Season Ticket Holders, it was decided to restrict the Home Support to the Main Stand, and it is hoped that this will increase the overall attendance, whilst improving the comfort of Home Supporters on the day.

It is acknowledged that the cost of £30 for an Adult Ticket and £20 for Concessions and Under 16`s is a lot of money. This is particularly so, when looked at in the context of the very modest price increases and other incentives provided by the Club to fans over the years. The Club are making 600 tickets available for under 12`s to go free for this game, which equates to £18,000 give away at the adult ticket pricing.

You may not be aware, but as this is a Cup game, the pricing of the tickets requires to be agreed with the opposition. Further to that, the ticket receipts are split 50/50, with the home Club incurring the Operational costs, some of which are stated below.

There are other factors which we required to be considered, principally with regards to the substantial costs which the Club must bear to put the game on. Some of these costs would not be required in fixtures with alternative opposition whilst other costs are additional for this particular game.

We had to consider the following:-

*    The game was changed to a 5.30pm kick off. As a result, we have increased Police and Stewarding outgoings.
*    We have to pay for VAR.
*    The TV fee is £24k (and not the widely reported £80k plus figure).

For some reason there’s no conclusion or sign off to the email, which I assume has been sent to everyone. No apology of any kind of indication that an error has been made. The fact that there are costs to be offset doesn’t justify profiteering.

Just now, Jamie_Beatson said:

For some reason there’s no conclusion or sign off to the email, which I assume has been sent to everyone. No apology of any kind of indication that an error has been made. The fact that there are costs to be offset doesn’t justify profiteering.

I mean your quote misses off the below part of the email -

*              You will be aware that any ticket price has an element of VAT- A £30 ticket means we have to account to HMRC for £5 per ticket.

*              Generally, the rising cost of living has impacted on our internal costs such as heating (undersoil), lighting and others.

You will appreciate that we endeavour to ensure that the Club is run sustainably . If we were to restrict pricing to say £20 per adult ticket, this would have resulted in a net loss.

I hope that this response satisfies any concerns that you have and puts some context on the decisions taken in respect of pricing , which in our view are in the best interests of the Club.

Not that I think it addresses there is any fault at all and frankly the generic "we couldn't do anything else" nature of it is really poor.