Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

On 06/01/2023 at 15:00, Rorschach said:

Afternoon - I'm going to post below a hypothetical scenario that a club such as Saints may currently find themselves in. I am not saying any of the below is true - I am just speculating.

As this is my first, and probably only, post I'll just say I am not employed by Saints ! I am not even a current season ticket holder - though I was once.

Hypothetical situation in response to a ticketed cup tie -

* the club (with support of police) requested that the time of kick off was moved from 17.30 - this was refused. TV I presume.

* due timing of kick off this was categorised as a Cat A game requiring full/maximum policing - not sure this might have been the case regardless.

* Policing and Stewarding costs have gone up since 01/01 - I think the number is £40ph for PC - I suggest the club may not be getting value for money for those costs especially at games such as this. This is agreed and a scenario where catering staff were abused recently might be quoted where initially Police did not respond and once they did they asked/told the catering staff to announce to the 50+ waiting fans/abusers the kiosk would be shut. They refused to do it themselves. The club raised this afterwards. Basic Police Scotland aim is to get fans in and out with minimal fuss or interaction. This has long been the case and is unacceptable in my opinion.

* Home fan/season ticket attendance is considerably down when Old Firm visit - 38% and 44% on last two games - I am not surprised by this and the toxic atmosphere at these games does not help (see above).

* The gate money for a televised cup game may not be as high as thought under current deal. This is not helped by the money split that involves halving ticket sales and then the costs coming from Saints share only - as I understand it.

* Based on above 2 final points a decision might be made to relocate home fans to the West stand and the ticket price - there is an acceptance this is largely financial. I don't think there is a complete lack of understanding on how fans feel but it looks and feels rubbish regardless.

* The club may have asked to issue vouchers to inconvenienced fans off a future game or future season tickets. This may have been refused by Scottish Football authorities as cup games are under SFA. As an aside Saints got a warning about how ticketing for Galatasaray was done from UEFA (via SFA I think).

* The club may have wanted to issue a statement covering above and more immediately after the arrangements were announced but held off and may now be seeking legal advice before issuing. 

I have no insight if the above is true or not. And there may be more. But it does give a little bit of a different angle on things.

Personally I still think it is a poor decision. I went to many games in the past where we were relocated and I didn't think it was right then and I still don't. You need to take care of your own fans first and foremost. I hope if any of the above were true the club might be able to communicate that soon to at least help understanding. 

When you say you're not employed by the club..........

I sincerely hope that is true.

I am not employed by the club. I am not even a season ticket holder anymore. 

But this pretty much matches what was said to me on the phone so I'm not surprised. Other than the free tickets thing which wasn't mentioned. 

As I've said on 2 of my 4 posts I think this is the wrong decision on price and seating. I think it will have a longer term detrimental affect as well. 

I also have my doubts about the reasoning behind the free kids tickets if I'm honest. I am presuming an under 12 would need to be accompanied so in fact it's kind of a way to get more adult tickets sold in the knowledge hardly anyone is going right now. I don't really know how it works. I might be being cynical. 

This issue has cropped up with a lot of clubs over the years - but I'm always fascinated by how clubs think that by creating an "old firm feedback loop" that they'll ever fix anything. 

For a lot of clubs (and I've seen the real figures for Motherwell in the past) - the OF visits are amongst the least attractive for home supporters, so less home punters than usual turn up. Clubs then give over a swathe of home seats to the OF to make up the shortfall (and often bump the prices to boot) making the fixture even less attractive to home supporters - less home punters turn up.....

I don't think the sky has fallen in at St Mirren since they grew a pair and it certainly hasn't at Motherwell (albeit with a huge away stand to play with) - so why don't St Johnstone look at those examples?

I’ve reread the email 3 times. I cannot get it. Not even a “we’re sorry your unhappy” just such a bland bland response. 

If I sent that to a complainant in my work I’d be embarrassed. No official statement is even worse than that pathetic response. 

A poor boardroom decision can derail supporters backing and feed into what we see on the pitch. I would not be surprised to see frustrated supporters this Saturday. I hope the board are prepared for any backlash they receive.

56 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This part is not correct. After paying a 5% levy to the SFA, and the costs of VAR, St Johnstone will retain the first 20% of the gate receipts for operational costs. The remaining money will be split 50-50.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/9881/sfa_handbook-2022-23-digital.pdf

This is particularly damning IMO - the fact Flaherty basically told a lie he presumably thought no one would be any the wiser about. Wonder if there’s more fibs in there.

This might be harsh but I increasingly feel like any new owners need to “clean house” at the top level of the club. Lots of things just aren’t working.

37 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Steve Brown may not be part of the day to day, but I'd be pretty sure he'd have known about this in advance. 

I genuinely dont think Steve Brown has made any decision at the club for years.

Ive no idea what hes like as a person, but throughout his time at Saints Ian Flaherty has just come across as an absolute shitewaffle in every interview or statement, and id be amazed if Brown would work with someone like that.

St. Johnstone have been taking their diehard supporters for a ride for years now but it's become incredibly apparent this season.

£24 quid for an adult ticket to watch Scottish Football (which is a woeful standard at the best of times, dogshit at present) during a cost of living crisis.

Not enough food and drink supplies for fans on a match day.

Painfully slow service at cafeteria and no signage to say "no hot food left."

Pishy wee ancient TV's in said cafeteria which used to show Sky Sports News - not switched on/working anymore

Not enough matchday programmes.

Tired, depressing stadium in dire need of a facelift.

Shitey wee excuse of a club shop in a box room.

Cash only gate has no option to pay by card, despite us living in the 21st Century. 

Halftime entertainment appears to be non-existent going by my last two visits.

The list no doubt goes on.

And now this Scottish Cup fiasco just sums it all up. Now the club want even MORE money out of you for the privilege to experience the points made above - with the added incentive of being punted from your home stand to accommodate more away fans.

The club has enjoyed incredible success in recent years but has done nothing to build on this for the future and continues to this day to take its loyal supporters for granted.

What a joke. Fair play to all the regulars still going to McDiarmid every second week - I think you're off your heads.

I would’ve argued the point about attending every two weeks before @jamamafegan but your post is 100% correct. 

the whole club gives off the impression it can’t be arsed with anything with the exception or Bev who is fantastic whenever issues come up that she can help with. 

Edited by Kyle

40 minutes ago, Swello said:

This issue has cropped up with a lot of clubs over the years - but I'm always fascinated by how clubs think that by creating an "old firm feedback loop" that they'll ever fix anything. 

For a lot of clubs (and I've seen the real figures for Motherwell in the past) - the OF visits are amongst the least attractive for home supporters, so less home punters than usual turn up. Clubs then give over a swathe of home seats to the OF to make up the shortfall (and often bump the prices to boot) making the fixture even less attractive to home supporters - less home punters turn up.....

I don't think the sky has fallen in at St Mirren since they grew a pair and it certainly hasn't at Motherwell (albeit with a huge away stand to play with) - so why don't St Johnstone look at those examples?

Far from the sky failing in, our  attendances have marginally increased in our fixtures against them since we restricted them to one stand, and we have the added bonus of a much better atmosphere and 4 points from those games, which I think is no coincidence.

33 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The club has enjoyed incredible success in recent years but has done nothing to build on this for the future and continues to this day to take its loyal supporters for granted.

And the worst bit is that, judging by this statement, when the fanbase inevitably dwindles again, itll be peddled as us having shite fans and not the club absolutely fucking up.

The U12 deal is a great thing thats definitely helping, but treating fans like shit is going to undo it all. If results continue the way they are we end up 11th again, you wont see the same support as last time.

6 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Cannot wait for Livvy to score in 5 mins on Saturday. The atmosphere will be toxic. What a car crash of a new year from every one connected at the club.

Another note. That's been about 9 weeks since May was about to sign an extension... And it's still not done.

Was just thinking that. The atmosphere felt tense all first half v United. It’s going to be similar v livi.