Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Despite not agreeing with the decision to appoint Steven MacLean as manager, I've remained pretty calm since the start of the season due to a number of factors: the fact that Steven MacLean isn't Callum Davidson, the fact that he is working with a massively restrictive budget, the fact that (on paper) I've been impressed with his transfer strategy for the most part, and the fact that he talks a better game than his predecessor. Even if it means staying up by the skin of our teeth in a play-off, I believe that survival would be a successful/impressive outcome this season given the context of our situation. So this is why I haven't been panicking yet. However, if we fail to win today, alarm bells will definitely be ringing for me. The points gap is already uncomfortable, and a defeat could put us in an invidious position even at this early stage of the season. It's getting close to make-or-break time for MacLean. I really hope today goes well.

Edited by The Real Saints

32 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Yes

His potentials there and hes great at getting out tight spots, but if Cammy MacPherson puts in that second half performance hes getting absolutely slaughtered on here.

Phillips was tremendous for an hour. He was hurt in a challenge and was far less mobile for the rest of the match.

His qualities both in possession and without make him our best central midfielder since McCann.  Take McCann out the picture, and he’s the best since 2015 Chris Millar was strutting around in there.

Definitely need to get him signed for longer…. however as we’re likely going to be battling relegation and not clear which league we’ll be in next season, it’s not happening.

13 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Phillips was tremendous for an hour. He was hurt in a challenge and was far less mobile for the rest of the match.

His qualities both in possession and without make him our best central midfielder since McCann.  Take McCann out the picture, and he’s the best since 2015 Chris Millar was strutting around in there.

He was misplacing simple passes, that wasnt because he was hurt IMO.

Im a fan but also think he looks better than he is because hes good at doing things that look good.

Bryson and Craig spring to mind as far better players before we even delve into the best since 2015.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Im a fan but also think he looks better than he is because hes good at doing things that look good.

Bryson and Craig spring to mind as far better players before we even delve into the best since 2015.

100%. Lots of attempted turns and flicks, that yes a few did come off today and he did alright but nearly every time he tries to pass forward he gives it away. 

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Does the difficult stuff well and the simpler stuff poorly(sometimes). 

I’m an obsessive on this point, but Carey’s second half performance was an abomination. Another game he’s had the full 90 as well.

He got to the byline twice in the first half and created two good chances - the first time he’s done that in months - but second half his decision making was astonishing. Abysmal.

That was shocking from Liam Gordon today, captain and should be showing leadership and example. No need to give away the penalty as he can't keep his hands off players and should have been able to force Nouble without the foul. It was a penalty. Then the sending off was just stupid and deserved.

Must be dropped after the suspension and captaincy given to Dan Philips.

1 minute ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

One thing I do take from today though. 

Based on today versus his matches out wide.  Costelloe is a centre forward and not a wide man. 

Agreed. Could be something to work with between he and Jephcott - who had some nice touches, but aye, fitness. Three centre halves worked well today, I thought. Not sure how much longer I’d want Robinson as part of the three though. He’ll become a target.

Felt an awful lot of resignation at the game today. First half gave cause for hope but the second half really wasn't good, even before captain calamity stepped up. 

Gordon is needing taken out, he's obviously got a two game ban now which I think is a blessing for him and the club. I've never seen a regression quite as bad as the one he's been going through in a player in his peak and without serious injuries before. Hopefully it's a confidence thing, but the longer it goes on the more you have to concede it's probably not temporary