Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Can't answer factually but I can imagine that's true. You know what these wee guys are all about. Giving it the big man.

Well don’t comment then! I know the guy, he was in my company today, and it was definitely done tongue in cheek, to his Airdrie mates on his podcast 

35 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Well don’t comment then! I know the guy, he was in my company today, and it was definitely done tongue in cheek, to his Airdrie mates on his podcast 

He's completely fucked it. Joking or not. 
I seen a follow up tweet where his defence was "they would have came anyway" That's irrelevant now sorry.

Regardless of who the tweet was directed at, this man obviously knew that it wouldn’t only be seen by his ‘Airdrie mates on his podcast.’ That would be an extremely idiotic assumption unless he’s a 90 year-old with no knowledge of social media.

His response to Saints fans’ distress is borderline disgraceful.

The problem we’ve had over the last three managers since Tommy is that they have all stuck to a “philosophy” or shape. We changed to a 4 today and the players looked lost, yes the players were poor but the team selection and formation was all wrong IMO

Airdrie were great, confident in taking the ball under pressure playing 1-2’s while we were scared to pass to each other 

Just now, scott_sjfc said:

The problem we’ve had over the last three managers since Tommy is that they have all stuck to a “philosophy” or shape. We changed to a 4 today and the players looked lost, yes the players were poor but the team selection and formation was all wrong IMO

Airdrie were great, confident in taking the ball under pressure playing 1-2’s while we were scared to pass to each other 

Tommy was great at setting up teams to win a game, that could be 442 one week, 433 the next or 352 the next. Right now we’re stuck with a 3 at the back with no natural wing backs who can take the ball forward 

13 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Regardless of who the tweet was directed at, this man obviously knew that it wouldn’t only be seen by his ‘Airdrie mates on his podcast.’ That would be an extremely idiotic assumption unless he’s a 90 year-old with no knowledge of social media.

His response to Saints fans’ distress is borderline disgraceful.

Considering his whole presence is centred around giving people advice on how to gamble their money away, he's probably used to the rubbish he comes up with not affecting him while it affects other people.

At the very least, you shouldn't underestimate the thickness of Airdrie fans.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Aye I’m getting a bit fearful we just had a new manager bounce now. 

The squad is full of players with little to no confidence in their ability also. Gallagher is half thd player he was before the leg break, Considine is on fumes and up top….well it’s been an embarrassment for a long time. 

as if stands I don’t see Livingston coming off 12th, but we’re totally reliant on Motherwell and County being worse than us. 

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ill put my fork in the ground and say today is the today my opinion of Levein has started to head downwards.

It had started to stutter by the time the winter break hit but there were so many red flags in there today.

Its so very Callum Davidson-y tactically, and performance wise, and we're even now seeing him playing favourites with team selections to the detriment of the team.

Hes even trying to sign his way out of trouble instead of working with that he has. You'd genuinely have no idea he just had 3 weeks to work with this squad ahead of the game because literally nothing was different. Just hoping a new signing in attack who hasnt played in months magically changes things.

It kinda worries me but I find myself agreeing with you certainly the first 3 paragraphs. Pretty much everyone in football knew who we were getting when we appointed Levein and I’ve seen nothing in the performances, shape, tactics so far to suggest he has changed from the boring, defensive minded manager he was at Utd, Hearts and Scotland. As they say a leopard doesn’t change its spots. 

Managers tend to be judged on their signings and McLean was so poor at this he got the hook very early. This left Levein with the pile of shite we have now. Other than Mitov, whose kicking is atrocious, and Robinson, left centre back only, McLean’s signings were nowhere near the standard required. Kimpioka didn’t do well yesterday and seemed less than happy with the physical aspect of the game which is not a good sign. More worrying for me was we were absolutely run over in midfield but he didn’t want to play Kjeltens in there. Could even have put Gowser in there and Kjeltens at right back but he preferred to leave him on the bench. If Levein doesn’t think Kjeltens is a better option than those on the pitch yesterday then that is a real problem.

13 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Aye I’ve just had a look at the boys Twitter I see that he is getting a bit of abuse for it. Wonder if he was even there when it happened.

Doesnt excuse the behaviour of course but if a Kilmarnock fan had tweeted that and brought trouble to a pub I was in I wouldn’t be too impressed.

I'm not sure if he does post on here,  but if he does then he should be ashamed of that tweet.  Especially if a little girl was in fact hurt by one of the bottles.  I see on twitter he is refusing to accept that the tweet may have contributed to the trouble.  Not sure the polis will see it that way.

9 hours ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

I couldn't careless whether he was in your company or not. What about those who I seen at the game with quite large wounds to the back of their heads and face etc?

I'm sure they found the joke absolutely hilarious.

Actions have consequences and as a direct result of his joke people were attacked. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

The tweet was clearly a joke, but at the same time its not as if hes a kid. Hes a grown man, who must know the reputation of Airdrie fans, who pointed out exactly where Saints fans were and also gave a half believable excuse for some form of bother.

f**k around and find out, i guess, and even if he thinks hes done nothing wrong he needs to bollock up and apologise to those who were hurt.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Like how many people who've watched us play over the past 12 months would think a midfield of Kucheriavyi, Carey, and Smith, would be anything other than powderpuff and hand over possession in bad areas constantly? Theres absolutely no goal threat there either. 

That's what I don't get, and I hope its not Levein showing favourites already.

At halftime, he should have hooked Max instead and put Keltjens as the dm. Allow Carey and Smith to push up a bit as well as having a proper player in the deep role, instead of having Careys creativity wasted from deep.

Also, I'm genuinely curious about what they did for three weeks without a game, to come and put in a performance like that.

Edited by Muirton Saint

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The tweet was clearly a joke, but at the same time its not as if hes a kid. Hes a grown man, who must know the reputation of Airdrie fans, who pointed out exactly where Saints fans were and also gave a half believable excuse for some form of bother.

f**k around and find out, i guess, and even if he thinks hes done nothing wrong he needs to bollock up and apologise to those who were hurt.

f**k around and find out indeed. Not putting the post up here as I don’t know if it’s definitely the ned, but appears the bottle thrower may have been identified. 

I would suggest the tweeter thinks about the consequences of his tweet. Some fellow supporters may not be too happy at seeing him around Mcdiarmid for some time if he can’t offer up a proper apology. 

Edited by mizfit

I can’t pretend to know the person or even have seen the tweet at the time, but what I do know is he was getting it right from a lot of saints fans before the game kicked off. Didn’t know the context at the time, but clearly do now and even then he was refusing to admit any wrong doing. 

As for the match itself, don’t know if anyone else who was there felt it, but there was a weird atmosphere amongst the saints crowd all game. Like the support were turning on each other at one point and there was literally no support from the kick off towards the team. 

40 minutes ago, Muirton Saint said:

That's what I don't get, and I hope its not Levein showing favourites already.

Its hard not to see it that way. Or at least hes decided theres players there who simply wont get as many chances as others. 

I doubt theres many Saints fans, when given the choice to pick 3 from Smith, Max, Carey and Sprangler, who would pick a midfield without Sprangler in it. Theres even fewer who would pick Carey as the deepest midfielder too.

He has to accept Smith and Max arent offering anything in attack and drop one of them, but it feels like if theyre fit they start, no matter what the end result is on our side.

Its over complicating something that doesnt need over complicating.

33 minutes ago, Widge said:

As for the match itself, don’t know if anyone else who was there felt it, but there was a weird atmosphere amongst the saints crowd all game. Like the support were turning on each other at one point and there was literally no support from the kick off towards the team. 

Its probably because it feels like we're back to Davidson era stuff. Does anyone go into games, even before the break, expecting anything remotely exciting?

Was it all that much different to Kelty?

3-5-2 with a powderpuff midfield based on favourites, wing backs with no support (one of whom cant take people on), and strikers who have no idea how to play together.

This was the 11 that day. How much have we actually moved on?

Screenshot_20240121_104524_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2afce1f80abebccbaefd6adb4f1d7686.jpg

Edited by RandomGuy.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I doubt theres many Saints fans, when given the choice to pick 3 from Smith, Max, Carey and Sprangler, who would pick a midfield without Sprangler in it. Theres even fewer who would pick Carey as the deepest midfielder too.

That's my biggest grudge with yesterday looking back at it. Not having Daniel Phillips is annoying but it happens and to not replace him with another more defence minded midfielder (Sprangler/Keltjens), instead pushing Carey backwards is just confusing.

The Carey selection deep comes off the back of Leveins comments after Livi. 

He made remarks about them not being brave enough in possession. 

So he's played him deep as he's takes risks in possession. Resulted in him doing daft stuff like playing blind passes 25 yards from our goal etc. 

That isn't brave, it's just reckless.  Fine doing it in that attacking third but not in an area where if it doesn't come off the opposition are in on goal. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Yeah I said yesterday there were heavy Kelty vibes in terms of the crowd mood. I don't think anyone really expected a win, certainly not in 90 minutes.

I don't always see the same things as other folk. For example I actually thought shape wise going to a back 4 helped a bit yesterday. We did seem to get a bit more grip in the middle but never really used that to play through, but we should have made that change at a time it would have helped stop Nicky Clark having to drop back to almost CB position to get some of the ball. To me out positional disciple looked all over the place yesterday and the looking back stuff was nuts. Thing is we don't have player that can really get up the park and threaten from RFB. . I'm assuming that's why he signed Keltjens (so why not give him 20 minutes?  McGowan wasn't working). Don't get me wrong, we deserved to lose and Airdrie deserved to win, all credit to them, but we certainly made it easy.

The Spranger situation is an odd one. He's prone to mistakes but that's becuase of his commitment. He improved us when he came on and was the only one really pushing the team on, and the first to come over an applaud the fans. Some of his 'dig' work in the midfied was excellent. He's certainy a net positive. Smith, Spragler, Phillips is clearly our best midfield 3.

Had serious resevations about Benjamin before today. He gets a bit of a pass as it's his first outing but looks like Levein's Uche Ikpiezu 2.0 as feared. If we give him a run, and if we've been training with a back 4, we might look better something like this?

Remi
   Keltjens   Gordon   Smith Robinson   
           Phillips   Sprangler   Smith
              Clark   Kimpioka Carey

Obviously some unknown quantities in there but don't think that's what CL has in mind at all.

As for the bar incident, that tweet was moronic from a grown man but at the end of the day, people have individual responsibility for their actions and any suggestion that kids getting bottled is in any way 'deserved' or 'funny' can get in the bin. If you can't read something on social media and rather than ignoring it your response is chucking bottles into a pub you've got serious issues.