Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

16 minutes ago, Saint DBL said:

Could Stav Nahmani be the striker? 

Leaving St Mirren and could be loaned to another premiership club, wee pal for Keltjens. 

You have a good player if you do sign him. We massively under played him. Knows the way to goal. 

The problem with having a defensive mindset is that our defence is nowhere near good enough.

Tommy could do it because he had four good defenders.

We've now got teenagers, the Honey Monster and Liam fucking Gordon. 

3 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

The problem with having a defensive mindset is that our defence is nowhere near good enough.

Tommy could do it because he had four good defenders.

We've now got teenagers, the Honey Monster and Liam fucking Gordon. 

There is very little quality in the entire squad. It needs a massive overhaul, and the best way to do that Is by remaining in the league. 

It's a grind this season out as best we can, stay up, by my reckoning 15 players will be gone in the summer, this allows flexibility to get some better players in.

I think we probably do look more organised defensively than we have been in recent times, and our improved league position is a big plus; on the back of the horror show at airdrie, not losing either of the next two shows a bit of character I guess.

But there are still big concerns..

It’s now 6 matches without a win including airdrie.  We don’t create many chances and don’t score many goals. We struggle to win matches because of this, and will therefore struggle to pull far from the bottom two places.

While Keltjens looks okay, there are no indications at all that any of our January signings so far are going to greatly improve us. Early days obviously, and hopefully they all do go on to make a positive impact. 

We constantly tried to play out from the back at Airdrie through the centre backs taking 5 yard passes from Mitov, but we’ve not seen it since.  On the one hand, it’s good we’re not stubbornly sticking to a tactic that isn’t working as Callum did, but on the other, if this is what we’ve been working on over the three week break and we’ve ripped it up already, do we have any tactics or system to build play when we’re in possession? Because for 5 of the 6 halves we’ve played so far, we’ve looked completely disjointed and like we have no plan.

20 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

There is very little quality in the entire squad. It needs a massive overhaul, and the best way to do that Is by remaining in the league. 

It's a grind this season out as best we can, stay up, by my reckoning 15 players will be gone in the summer, this allows flexibility to get some better players in.

Couldn't agree more and I cannot wait to see most of these charlatans get punted.

At the moment the only top league quality we have is Mitov, occasionally Phillips and Clark ( who can't stay fit ).

48 minutes ago, DavidReid01 said:

I’d argue we look more organised and have a better idea of what we’re doing now than we have had for around 2 years.

Arguably more organised but we don’t have a clue how to score a goal. There’s no attacking structure at all there. There comes a point you need to try and score a goal otherwise what’s the point? We are existing and that’s it. I appreciate you’ll say let’s exist this season, stay up and move on but it’s incredibly difficult to be positive watching this every week. I also can’t shake the feeling Levein thinks he’s doing us a massive favour being our manager and this is all beneath him. Hopefully wrong there though.

9 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Arguably more organised but we don’t have a clue how to score a goal. There’s no attacking structure at all there. There comes a point you need to try and score a goal otherwise what’s the point? We are existing and that’s it. I appreciate you’ll say let’s exist this season, stay up and move on but it’s incredibly difficult to be positive watching this every week. I also can’t shake the feeling Levein thinks he’s doing us a massive favour being our manager and this is all beneath him. Hopefully wrong there though.

Strange how we looked more attacking against Aberdeen in the second half and also against Hibs, also in the second half 

It's obviously there in small sample sizes, but I thought we created some good chances in both games I've highlighted.

I guess it's about trying to find the right balance.

I feel like some people are being generally overly gloomy. It's nothing to scream from the rooftops about. But...

From where we were before Levein came in to where we are now is definitely an improvement not only in League table but also in what you see on the park. 

Yesterday's second half and of course Airdrie not good examples of that but in patches I can now at least see what the game plan is and how they want to play. 

Under Davidson and MacLean we would have probably lost both the Aberdeen game and Motherwell game as well and told after "what can you expect from a club like us". 

I also don't think they're on purpose trying to play defensively. I think it's more about lack of confidence when games are tight and that results in negative decision making on the pitch. 

Give them time and see how they get on. This time next season it'll be a better gauge on the direction they're going on as they'll have lost more of the ball and chain wage players to then reuse on their own signings. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

48 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Eric Nicolson still receiving monthly payments from Callum Davidson?

IMG_0005.jpeg

That's actually a pretty accurate assessment of the whole Bair thing tbh.  I doubt if many Saints players have had such support from the fan base in terms of them wanting a player to be a success, but he just wasn't good enough.  The last game of last season was a prime example, he came on as sub and looked completely out of his depth. 

As much as the fans wanted him to succeed, I doubt if many disagreed with the decision to let him go.

6 minutes ago, The Marly said:

That's actually a pretty accurate assessment of the whole Bair thing tbh.  I doubt if many Saints players have had such support from the fan base in terms of them wanting a player to be a success, but he just wasn't good enough.  The last game of last season was a prime example, he came on as sub and looked completely out of his depth. 

As much as the fans wanted him to succeed, I doubt if many disagreed with the decision to let him go.

Exactly. He was dreadful for us every time he played, and he got plenty of opportunities. Compare to Morgan, Vertainen, Jephcott etc in terms of matches played for similar impact on the park.  

Seemed like a decent lad and has done better at Motherwell, so good luck to him.

But we were right not to persevere with him as a forward option this season.

It was the failure to bring in anything better that was the issue, not the moving him on.

17 minutes ago, The Marly said:

The point I’m making is that Bair has considerably more ability than he showed at St Johnstone. I’m not disagreeing that many (myself included) wanted him to be let go.

Theo Bair at St Johnstone looked like someone who wouldn’t be capable of playing for any club in the professional leagues. Someone who might have to change careers. It hasn’t taken too long to discover that he was likely being mismanaged at St Johnstone. Football is about more than tactical coaching. Confidence players like Theo Bair need to be nurtured. By all accounts (most notably his own), that is what has happened now. Neither of our previous managers possessed man-management or people skills, hence why such a toxic environment had permeated the club.  

15 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

The point I’m making is that Bair has considerably more ability than he showed at St Johnstone. I’m not disagreeing that many (myself included) wanted him to be let go.

Theo Bair at St Johnstone looked like someone who wouldn’t be capable of playing for any club in the professional leagues. Someone who might have to change careers. It hasn’t taken too long to discover that he was likely being mismanaged at St Johnstone. Football is about more than tactical coaching. Confidence players like Theo Bair need to be nurtured. By all accounts (most notably his own), that is what has happened now. Neither of our previous managers possessed man-management or people skills, hence why such a toxic environment had permeated the club.  

As Beatson says, apart from his goal Bair was poor yesterday.  

3 hours ago, The Marly said:

As Beatson says, apart from his goal Bair was poor yesterday.  

That’s fair enough. The game is all about opinions. Personally I disagree, although I was watching on the live stream so wouldn’t have been getting much of an insight into his all-round play off the ball. 

I thought he had a quiet game, but looked good whenever in possession of the ball. Ultimately he was carrying himself with confidence, getting into good areas and scoring a goal. Simple stuff, but a marked difference from anything we saw at Saints. And taking the past couple of months into account, it seems to be something he’s showing on a regular basis now.

So looks like we’ll be expecting the following players to leave by end of the window:

Brown

Ballantyne

May

Turner Cooke 

Possible suggestion of Kane as well. 

In turn expecting possibly a striker and winger incoming? Or someone who can do both.

Fact we're talking about 4 or 5 leaving - 3 of them double winners and list doesn't include Crawford or McPherson - and it'll have very little impact to the team just shows how much dead wood we have.

you could add Olufunwa and McClelland to that list and you'd barely notice the difference either. 

Glad the new management team are being brutal, we really need a fresh start. 

9 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Fact we're talking about 4 or 5 leaving - 3 of them double winners and list doesn't include Crawford or McPherson - and it'll have very little impact to the team just shows how much dead wood we have.

you could add Olufunwa and McClelland to that list and you'd barely notice the difference either. 

Glad the new management team are being brutal, we really need a fresh start. 

Agreed, was very much needed.

Whilst Macca took abuse for Wotherspoon leaving… I’ve no doubt if he was given an option to let go of Crawford or MacPherson instead he would’ve.