Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Their game in hand is, thankfully(?),  at Ibrox, but 5 points isn’t insurmountable. There’s still 14 games left to play, and we’ve likely still got to play Ross County once and Livingston twice. Bonkers to be thinking Saturday’s win took us anywhere near out of it. 

By the time they play that one we'll have played Dundee so they'll be up to 2 games. A win for us on Sunday undoubtedly gives us breathing space right enough. 

5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Brown has played about 80 games for Saints, Gallacher I suspect will be on around 20 and before his leg break did show something, so for me it's about the body of evidence for them both.  Not saying he's any great shakes and I'm not convinced he's up to it either but he's at least our player and your description of him could just as easily be applied to Robinson over the last few weeks. 

Gallachers at 31 games. 0 goals, 0 assists.

He'll be needing a new contract if he wants to stay so being "our player" doesnt really matter, his contract here ends the same day as Robinsons.

Ive not seen anything at all to ever suggest hes going to be a top flight wing back and if we're playing that system its completely pointless playing him.

We need to be brutal this summer and cull the dead weight, so off he pops to the Championship. 

I'd rather have eleven of James Brown than one Max Kucheriavyi.

Everyone waking up to Robinson after clamouring to get him back as well. Helpful.

Deadwood in the team, not just the squad.

Our best players were all born before the fall of the Berlin Wall.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Gallachers at 31 games. 0 goals, 0 assists.

He'll be needing a new contract if he wants to stay so being "our player" doesnt really matter, his contract here ends the same day as Robinsons.

Ive not seen anything at all to ever suggest hes going to be a top flight wing back and if we're playing that system its completely pointless playing him.

We need to be brutal this summer and cull the dead weight, so off he pops to the Championship. 

Difference of course being we can give him a contract whereas Robinson goes back to Wigan regardless, and neither is outshining the other. I'd rather give Gallacher the space to improve and try to win a new deal than develop Wigan's player for them when there's no real difference. 

How many of those 31 games came off the bench and how many minutes is it rather than games? You've always said goals/games stats are misleading so I'm surprised you'd be quite so reductive. I'm not sure you base an opinion on a left back on how many goals/ assists he has either to be honest  

just for the record, I don't think Gallacher is good enough, would just rather give him the chance to prove himself than a loan player who has been pretty poor of late. 

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Difference of course being we can give him a contract whereas Robinson goes back to Wigan regardless, and neither is outshining the other. I'd rather give Gallacher the space to improve and try to win a new deal than develop Wigan's player for them when there's no real difference. 

How many of those 31 games came off the bench and how many minutes is it rather than games? You've always said goals/games stats are misleading so I'm surprised you'd be quite so reductive. I'm not sure you base an opinion on a left back on how many goals/ assists he has either to be honest  

just for the record, I don't think Gallacher is good enough, would just rather give him the chance to prove himself than a loan player who has been pretty poor of late. 

Honestly im just scunnered with him, and Max, and the whole squad.

I just think its pointless wasting more time with Gallacher as its a mentality/personality thing. Hes not going to wake up one morning and be different, hes always going to be "safe" with everything he does because he doesnt seem to have the mindset to be aggressive. We need wing backs who take the ball, turn, and take folk on, not folk who shit themselves on the ball and whos first instinct is always looking for the closest team mate.

We're probably stuck playing him though, as having 6 strikers and 15 attacking midfielders was more important than 1 decent LWB, apparently. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Honestly im just scunnered with him, and Max, and the whole squad.

I just think its pointless wasting more time with Gallacher as its a mentality/personality thing. Hes not going to wake up one morning and be different, hes always going to be "safe" with everything he does because he doesnt seem to have the mindset to be aggressive. We need wing backs who take the ball, turn, and take folk on, not folk who shit themselves on the ball and whos first instinct is always looking for the closest team mate.

We're probably stuck playing him though, as having 6 strikers and 15 attacking midfielders was more important than 1 decent LWB, apparently. 

The stats fail you sometimes.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes not. Hes completely shit scared of taking people on and ive filed him beside Max in the "passenger" category, except Gallacher tops that list. Both would happily spend 90 minutes playing 3 yard passes to CBs amd hoping someone else creates something. The amount of time Gallacher shits out a physical bump and instead shafts someone else by underhitting a pass to them is unreal, just terrified of being hit.

Im no James Brown fan but i struggle to see why people think hes miles from good enough but still think Gallacher is worth playing.

100% agree on Gallacher I’m afraid. An empty jersey. We have to do much better than that.  He’s Scottish championship standard at best.

Robinson was okay up to the break, probably in our top 4 performers after a slow start, but he’s been very poor since returning.  

19 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

The stats fail you sometimes.

I got criticised for saying his time at Falkirk suggested he was a passenger type based on stats. One who'd do nothing with the ball except recycle it sideways.

Seems like its nailed him really.

37 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

What earned him a move to Liverpool? He then also got a loan to the MLS. We then paid a fee for him. 

All of which is bewildering...

Wasn't a fee I don't think, but Liverpool have a very sizeable sell on. 

Maybe it's just the lack of pace but what gets me about MK is what looks like a complete lack of effort. He makes every 70:30 in his favour look like a 20:80 against him. 

And he's about the worst player I can remember for taking a pass and simply tapping it straight back to the passer first time with no awareness of whether he's putting them into bother or not. I mean, I could literally do that.

I watched him a lot last night and there's no movement either, he's never creating space to give his teammates an option. You might have thought this manager would bring the best out of him but at the moment I just don't see what he's bringing to the table at all.

It's hard for him because everyone is abundantly clear how much Levein likes him but he's got to be so much better than but we are currently seeing.

56 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

More Top 6 chat in the latest interview. 

Wish I saw what the players seem to see. 

You wouldn't mind that top 6 talk after last night regardless of the result if they'd showed some intent, been positive and tried to take the game to Hearts. 

What we got was a performance of a side who are trying to shitfest points to finish 10th. 

I know it's not as easy as simply going out there and play on the front foot you're never going to achieve top 6 with game plans like last nights. In the first half it felt like we'd setup to play Celtic. 

Although last night's game plan worries me that it's not going to be a one off. We've signed pacey forwards so is last night now going to be the regular game plan? 10 men behind the ball, zero pressure on the ball, allowing teams to have the freedom of their own half and hoping for a chance on the break.

We've seen it occasionally under Levein at Tynecastle but I can see it being the regular game plan. Especially if the likes of Smith and Phillips aren't available.

As for Max. He's always involved yet produces and offers very little, offensively or defensively.

They've also clearly not learned from the Carey deep role after Airdrie, although I would say he played it much better last night than he has previously, although that's a low bar. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

4 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

They've also clearly not learned from the Carey deep role after Airdrie, although I would say he played it much better last night than he has previously, although that's a low bar. 

Last two games have probably been the best he’s played in that role but it takes so much away further up the park when we have him there. Hopefully it’s just out of necessity due to absentees and it’s not another manager thinking he should play there, although not moving him when Sprangler came on concerns me. 

37 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

You wouldn't mind that top 6 talk after last night regardless of the result if they'd showed some intent, been positive and tried to take the game to Hearts. 

What we got was a performance of a side who are trying to shitfest points to finish 10th. 

I know it's not as easy as simply going out there and play on the front foot you're never going to achieve top 6 with game plans like last nights. In the first half it felt like we'd setup to play Celtic. 

Although last night's game plan worries me that it's not going to be a one off. We've signed pacey forwards so is last night now going to be the regular game plan? 10 men behind the ball, zero pressure on the ball, allowing teams to have the freedom of their own half and hoping for a chance on the break.

We've seen it occasionally under Levein at Tynecastle but I can see it being the regular game plan. Especially if the likes of Smith and Phillips aren't available.

As for Max. He's always involved yet produces and offers very little, offensively or defensively.

Its Davidson-ball all over again, even with the sticking with favourites wedged in where they dont work and tactical work during the week seeming to be more about defensive shape than how we plan to score. 

Only hope is that Levein/Kirk seem like they have more of an idea of what they want, and are proactive about getting it.

I think their signings in January are all, roughly, what we needed for those positions and the only black marks was not signing a LWB, and not shipping out more (which they tried to do). 

My hope is they can build us a good squad in the Summer thats athletic/technically sound and we see a better team appear as we can open up more. Thats tge difference for me just now, ive more faith in them managing that than Davidson.

4 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Such a simple goal to concede last night. 

I don't think it's simple at all, Shanks has a hell of a lot to do with that to bring the ball under control and around the defender. Yes it comes from a long hump forward but very few players in the league can finish that opportunity off!

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its Davidson-ball all over again, even with the sticking with favourites wedged in where they dont work and tactical work during the week seeming to be more about defensive shape than how we plan to score. 

Only hope is that Levein/Kirk seem like they have more of an idea of what they want, and are proactive about getting it.

I think their signings in January are all, roughly, what we needed for those positions and the only black marks was not signing a LWB, and not shipping out more (which they tried to do). 

My hope is they can build us a good squad in the Summer thats athletic/technically sound and we see a better team appear as we can open up more. Thats tge difference for me just now, ive more faith in them managing that than Davidson.

Broadly agree with this. I think our midfield very obviously suffers without Smith or Phillips in there - Smith for his positivity and Phillips for his strength and willingness to run forwards. Max just can't do that and Carey doesn't have the pace or the strength any more even if he has more technique than half our team combined. I think we were dead unlucky.

Edited by GorbalsMags

2 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Good that he's improving at it but as you say it isn't a high bar.

Easy solution is take Max out, Carey replace him higher up the pitch and Sprangler comes in as the deep midfielder.

Also, Olufunwa needed to be making more runs wide for Franczak to play him instead of inverting to an already congested midfield.