Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Good news I think. Seems to have fit into the team well enough and I don't imagine he's that expensive.

Goalkeepers

1. Zander Clark (27) -2022

12. Elliot Parish (29) – 2021

48. Max Johnstone (20) -2020

45. Ross Sinclair (18) – 2021 ­­– on loan at Brechin

Defenders

2. Wallace Duffy (20) -2021

21. Anthony Ralston (20) – 2020 – on loan from Celtic

6. Steven Anderson (33) - 2020 – on loan at Raith Rovers

23. Liam Gordon (23) - 2021

15. Jason Kerr (22) – 2022

5. Madis Vihmann (23) – 2020 – on loan from Flora

3. Scott Tanser (24) – 2021

24. Callum Booth (28) – 2020

Midfielders

7. Drey Wright (24) - 2020

10. David Wotherspoon (29) - 2021

8. Murray Davidson (31) - 2020 + 1

4. Ross Callachan (25) - 2020

26. Liam Craig (32) - 2020

19. Jason Holt (26) – 2020 – on loan from Rangers

18. Ali McCann (19) - 2023

33. Matty Kennedy (24) - 2020

11. Danny Swanson (32) - 2020

Forwards

16. David McMillan (30) – 2020 – on loan at Falkirk

9. Chris Kane (24) - 2020

17. Michael O'Halloran (28) – 2021

14. Stevie May (26) – 2021 + 1

22. Callum Hendry (21) - 2020 

We're about to enter mutual termination/cut loans short season.  Current odds;

Ross Callachan 1/5

Madis Vihmann 1/3

Danny Swanson  Evs

Liam Craig 5/1

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

@Kyle I'll have £5 on David McMillan pls.

That midfield is going to get a hell of an overhaul this Summer regardless of what division we end up in.

Indeed. If we get relegated, I'd be inclined to keep Craig around. Starting base of Craig, McCann, Wotherspoon and (hopefully) Davidson would be fine. Expensive and we'd probably need to add jobber back ups, but quality in the middle of the park is more important at that level IMO. MOH still being in contract makes that a pretty decent base to kick off from.

If we pull away from this situation - we are starting to show signs we're capable of it - I'd like to see us try and keep Wright and Kennedy. I think we've probably got a better chance of the former than the latter given he's not playing anywhere near the standard of last season. 

The defence is a massive job though. I'm glad we've got our starting centre backs back playing and they seem to help each other and hopefully whoever we bring in next month will still be around beyond the summer, but Tanser hasn't impressed this season and a future where Wallace Duffy is your only option at right back is dystopian in the extreme, albeit only marginally worse than having Ralston and Duffy as your two right back options :rolleyes: 

Strikeforce is probably good enough for the championship if we retain all 3 strikers. If we stay up, I'd like us to keep Hendry and then see what else is available before renewing Kane's contract. May is showing signs that he's going to be a rather expensive flop and we're stuck with him until 2021 so Kane could end up being collateral damage as we - once again - embark on a mission to sign a striker who can actually score a fucking goal and who the manager trusts to start games.

I suspect Liam Craig is lined up to move into the coaching team to be honest. He’s doing his badges and I know we’ve had others do the same, but the amount he’s involved and given he seems happy to play on the odd occasion it makes sense to transition him. Plus it would give a more attacking/midfield coach to balance out the defensive guys we’ve got right now.

Sensible with Booth. No point in scraping around for a left back next month when there are other priorities. Really just an extended trial for him now to see if he can retain the shirt. Tomorrow will be a different type of game, so looking forward to seeing how he does. 

Two points on that.

The first is fantastic, we may have heard it all before with other players, but in this instance I believe him. He unlike others before him is getting international recognition so that isn’t a barrier. He’s been at a lot of clubs over his career and Saints is the first he’s played week in week out and been an integral part of it all. So actually I can see him signing on again, he’s only 24, so plenty of time for anther big move down south when he’s older and a little wiser.

Secondly, why the hell have we not even opened talks yet!? Appreciate we’re in a tough spot right now but we need to back ourselves to get out of it or lose our best players for nothing and with a whimper.

Two points on that.

The first is fantastic, we may have heard it all before with other players, but in this instance I believe him. He unlike others before him is getting international recognition so that isn’t a barrier. He’s been at a lot of clubs over his career and Saints is the first he’s played week in week out and been an integral part of it all. So actually I can see him signing on again, he’s only 24, so plenty of time for anther big move down south when he’s older and a little wiser.

Secondly, why the hell have we not even opened talks yet!? Appreciate we’re in a tough spot right now but we need to back ourselves to get out of it or lose our best players for nothing and with a whimper.
Yep. We should at least be finding out what the guy's demands are likely to be.

After the last few games I think signing priorities for January have changed for me. A month ago it would have been;

1. Experienced CB

2. Big penalty box striker

3. Right back

Now I'd say it was

1. Right back

2. Big penalty box striker

Three decent signings given the players we have to ship out would probably have been a stretch. I'm hoping that 2 will be managable and that the chairman is prepared to risk a little of the reserves to prevent the far bigger financial loss of relegation. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese