Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

21 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Can anyone explain to me why O'Halloran is dropping deep to link the play.

All the attributes required to play that role he simply doesn't have. His game is running channels and stretching the game! 

Because nobody is feeding the ball to him so he's having to work back to get it is what it seems to me ...

2 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I like a flutter now and again, but banking on Kerr and Gordon being available every game is a gamble too far for me. Centre back is number one priority. 

Yes, I had an edit in there that pointed out we don't have cover there, so can see the argument. 

However when we start playing the better teams again Ralston will lose us goals. 

15 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I like a flutter now and again, but banking on Kerr and Gordon being available every game is a gamble too far for me. Centre back is number one priority. 

Agreed. We need a CB, regardless of how the defence is playing just now. Arguably need two, as neither Duffy or Vihmann are close to good enough. Starting right back an absolute necessity aswell.

Attack isnt performing but I cant see us affording anything better if we're spending money on the defence aswell.

Dream world you get Ralston, Anderson, Vihmann, Callachan, Swanson, and McMillan off the wage bill. You bring in a starting quality RB and CB, and then arguably try and find another CB who could cover RB too, and send Duffy to the seaside leagues on loan. If theres enough then target a striker who can actually play on his own up front. Anything else ledt over is used to look at a CM to cover things incase of injury, even if it's a loan. Arguably 7 out, 5 in.

Clark, Parish, New RB, New RB/CB, Kerr, Gordon, New CB, Booth, Tanser, Holt, Davidson, McCann, Craig, New CM, Wotherspoon, Kennedy, MOH, Wright, New ST, Kane, Hendry, May

Should cover everything and surely couldnt make us any worse, especially in defence. Cant see anyone signing those we want punted though, nor the amount of players needed to be signed being signed. Wait and see before getting all gloomy though.

Edited by RandomGuy.

11 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Because nobody is feeding the ball to him so he's having to work back to get it is what it seems to me ...

MOH, Kennedy and Wright all suffered yesterday as the full backs were too slow to get past them, and their fellow midfielders weren't helping them, so when they got the ball, they had no options. Cant think of a single time they linked up with Hendry apart from the MOH chance.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

MOH, Kennedy and Wright all suffered yesterday as the full backs were too slow to get past them, and their fellow midfielders weren't helping them, so when they got the ball, they had no options. Cant think of a single time they linked up with Hendry apart from the MOH chance.

Very true. The difference in overlap between Tanser/Forster and Booth/Ralston is stark. 

Trade off seems to be clean sheets, although I'd argue Gordon and possibly Holt/McCann are bigger factors. 

Oh, and Zander seems to be much more mobile in the box and coming off the line a lot more, or maybe that's just me. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

2 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Very true. The difference in overlap between Tanser/Forster and Booth/Ralston is stark. 

Trade off seems to be clean sheets, although I'd argue Gordon and possibly Holt/McCann are bigger factors. 

Oh, and Zander seems to be much more mobile in the box and coming off the line a lot more, or maybe that's just me. 

I'd be tempted to bring Tanser back in for the Hamilton game, tbh. Nothing Booth done yesterday struck me as particularly great. A useful option to provide cover/come into the team to give Tanser a wake up, but certainly not enough to be first choice. Definitely lose something going forward with Booth.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd be tempted to bring Tanser back in for the Hamilton game, tbh. Nothing Booth done yesterday struck me as particularly great. A useful option to provide cover/come into the team to give Tanser a wake up, but certainly not enough to be first choice. Definitely lose something going forward with Booth.

Actually said yesterday on the drive to the game that this would be an idea to bring Tanser back. In retrospect I think it would have helped and I'm not sure that St Mirren would have created any more. But that's hindsight for you. 

For all that Hamilton is a must win it's still an away game on a plastiic carpet, so I'd be inclined to stick with Booth for the time being, much as it would be fun to extend the boy's contract then immediately not play him. 

Depends to an extent on the Hamilton result and performance, but I'd be happy enough to see Tanser back for the County game on Sunday. 

On 02/12/2019 at 19:48, RandomGuy. said:

The WAP Rumour Mill chunders into action for the first time before the Winter, the first name spat out?

Hull Citys £3m regular Stephen Kingsley.

Second name rumbles in...

Leigh Griffiths.

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Second name rumbles in...

Leigh Griffiths.

There's a new breed of Saints fan on wap. 

Under 25 who think the singings they make on computer games are realistic options 😂.

We also cannot sign another loan player from Celtic due to loan rules being only 1 per club in the same division. Not that it's a goer in the first place. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

There's a new breed of Saints fan on wap. 

Under 25 who think the singings they make on computer games are realistic options 😂.

We also cannot sign another loan player from Celtic due to loan rules being only 1 per club in the same division. Not that it's a goer in the first place. 

Tbf it was one of the older posters this time.

11 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Heard a couple of names yesterday. Be happy if they come to fruition. Also expect a few to be heading to pastures new.

Right, we get 20 questions and you can only give yes or no answers.

Do either of them currently play in the Scottish Premiership?

12 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Heard a couple of names yesterday. Be happy if they come to fruition. Also expect a few to be heading to pastures new.

I’d imagine Saturday’s squad omissions are quite telling. Kane injured but no Swanson, Callachan or Vihmann. 

Just now, tree house tam said:

We can throw in McMillan for free if you wish?

Christ we still have him. I'd forgotten. 

Callachan and Swanson would, I would think, be viable to move on and we can repatriate the Estonian early.

Best incoming options would surely be a RB that can cover CB and a striker. I think it's far too much to ask to get more than that in a January window. 

Most importantly let's hope that the deals are close to signing as we can't be having a repeat of teh summer.