Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

8 hours ago, Kyle said:

Daily Record reporting that Kennedy has agreed his pre-contract with Aberdeen.  

The Sun reporting that Hearts are offering Christophe Berra to get him now. 

:lol: f**k off hearts. 

Tbf it's not up to the club who Kennedy signs for, so not quite sure what Hearts are trying to achieve there, other than to further humiliate their captain. 

Any reason why Saints fans all don’t seem to care about Matty leaving? In the games I’ve watched this season he’s been one of the players, sometimes the only player, that is creating any chances and opportunities. We’re struggling as it is this season, I can’t see how this is going to benefit our relegation battle. I get he deserves his move, I wish him well - but for us it’s a sore one.

12 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Any reason why Saints fans all don’t seem to care about Matty leaving? In the games I’ve watched this season he’s been one of the players, sometimes the only player, that is creating any chances and opportunities. We’re struggling as it is this season, I can’t see how this is going to benefit our relegation battle. I get he deserves his move, I wish him well - but for us it’s a sore one.

Hes still a Saints player so theres no issue, yet. Losing your best player to a bigger club is just football these days.

7 minutes ago, AberdeenHibee said:

How on earth Saints managed to hold their nerve and not rip Hearts' hand off for their broken 35-year old club captain who they publicly flogged and humiliated by sending to train with the reserves last week...I will never know.  

We've no say in it. Theyve effectively offered us a player in exchange for a free agent.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes still a Saints player so theres no issue, yet. Losing your best player to a bigger club is just football these days.

We've no say in it. Theyve effectively offered us a player in exchange for a free agent.

Presumably Hearts are trying to make it happen in January though.

53 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I think Saints fans do care. I don't think there's much the club can do now that the likes of Aberdeen and Hearts are in a position to speak to him though - pissing into the wind at this point.

Edited by Kyle

35 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Presumably Hearts are trying to make it happen in January though.

Doesnt matter does it? The player can agree a contract with Aberdeen regardless of what Saints want.

Hearts could offer us their 3 best players plus £1m and it still wouldnt matter a f**k. 

Wright said in The Scotsman that there are three scenarios. 

1. He stays at St Johnstone until the end of the season. “I can’t see that being a problem”.

2. Goes to Hearts

3. Goes to Aberdeen

2. and 3. would require something coming the other way. 

We've approached ICT's Jamie McCart in the hopes of signing him on a pre-contract. 

If we happen to get Rooney and McCart, we're going to have a very young defence again next season.

Rooney (23), Duffy (20), Kerr (23),  Gordon (24), McCart (22), Tanser (25)

Decent base, but I'd like to see us add at least one older head to the defence. Booth may extend his deal right enough.

Edited by Kyle

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Doesnt matter does it? The player can agree a contract with Aberdeen regardless of what Saints want.

Hearts could offer us their 3 best players plus £1m and it still wouldnt matter a f**k. 

I'm confused by your confustion. The player has a contract until the end of the season. To release him from that contract and allow him to play for another club before then, we require compensation. Hearts, or any other club may offer a player as that compensation. If he leaves at the season end either via PCA or not, no compensation. 

@jamamafagan I don't see any evidence that Saints fans don't care (other than DVD whose attitude I don't get at all). But let's be honest we've been resigned to losing Matty this year for a while. Not sure what we're meant to say or do as we just don't have the financial firepower to keep him. Best we can hope for is either a payment that would compensate us in the event of relegation (nobody is paying that, it would be millions) or to keep him until the season end, regroup in the summer and go again next year. As an aside, even if Berra were any good at all everything in the papers recently suggests he'd think that playing for us would be beneath him. 

Disappointing that we're half way through the window and not even a whisper of us being linked with a striker. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

8 minutes ago, Kyle said:

We've approached ICT's Jamie McCart in the hopes of signing him on a pre-contract. 

If we happen to get Rooney and McCart, we're going to have a very young defence again next season.

Rooney (23), Duffy (20), Kerr (23),  Gordon (24), McCart (22), Tanser (25)

Decent base, but I'd like to see us add at least one older head to the defence. Booth may extend his deal right enough.

Tbf in terms of game time they're not bad. Rooney has almost 100 games in the Championship now, 200 senior games in his career. McCart also heading towards 100 games at that level.

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I'm confused by your confustion. The player has a contract until the end of the season. To release him from that contract and allow him to play for another club before then, we require compensation. Hearts, or any other club may offer a player as that compensation. If he leaves at the season end either via PCA or not, no compensation. 

I'm saying it doesnt matter. If the player decides he wants to join Aberdeen, then he'll be joining Aberdeen no matter what Hearts offer Saints. If Hearts offer Saints a huge fee, and Saints want to accept it, Kennedy can still choose Aberdeen.

Tbf in terms of game time they're not bad. Rooney has almost 100 games in the Championship now, 200 senior games in his career. McCart also heading towards 100 games at that level.

I asked a Camry supporting mate about both and both times he simply laughed and said we could do better. Rooney is by all accounts a red card waiting to happen and McCart whilst decent is regarded as worse than Donaldson.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Of course, the player holds the ultimate power here. Depends on how much of a rush he's in.

But if Hearts can persuade St Johnstone to allow him to leave now then that gives Kennedy an immediate decision to make and probably gives Hearts an edge over us. I don't think we have much to offer you player wise, nor will we offer enough in cash terms to push it through now.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm saying it doesnt matter. If the player decides he wants to join Aberdeen, then he'll be joining Aberdeen no matter what Hearts offer Saints. If Hearts offer Saints a huge fee, and Saints want to accept it, Kennedy can still choose Aberdeen.

True, but you would have to think that that no offer would be on the table without being agreed, or at least discussed, with the player first. 

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Of course, the player holds the ultimate power here. Depends on how much of a rush he's in.

But if Hearts can persuade St Johnstone to allow him to leave now then that gives Kennedy an immediate decision to make and probably gives Hearts an edge over us.

Why would he be in a rush to leave one relegation threatened side for one in an even worse position? 

Hearts wont be able to offer a wage that blows Aberdeen away, so I'm not sure why people are thinking they're some huge draw.