Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I'd guess that was so Duffy could play right back before the Celtic game, and possibly to give Booth and Tanser time together, also probably with an eye on the Celtic match.

Yes I thought that too, and in a back 5 Ralston would be the wing-back. I had Celtic in my head though because of the Ralston issue. 

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The way that's worded suggests TW isnt going to be the happiest chappie if/when Kennedy leaves this month.

Obviously it's not really comparable given Aberdeen aren't Rangers and you've got a decent shift out of Kennedy rather than him fucking off before he's even played 20 games but are Saints fans likely to give him any grief if there's moves made to get him out this window and would that be likely to affect him?

Reason I ask is you guys had the amusing sideshow of Motherwell fans booing Hastie when he came off the bench (and while he was warming up) at your place last season and put in a completely ineffective performance.

In his Longer Listen interview that went up a while back Robinson was saying he effectively had to take Hastie out the team because of everything going on around the pre-contract.

Clearly TW wants to keep Kennedy so I'm guessing he doesn't think it'd be a problem but I'm just curious as to whether there's a chance of him misjudging that.

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Obviously it's not really comparable given Aberdeen aren't Rangers and you've got a decent shift out of Kennedy rather fucking off before he's even played 20 games but are Saints fans likely to give him any grief if there's moves made to get him out this window and would that be likely to affect him?

I dont know, tbh.

Theres, rightly or wrongly, the impression hes pulled himself out of training since signing the Aberdeen deal, so I imagine a section of fans would give him a hard time. 

Can't remember how it went with Liam Craig at the time he signed for Hibs, by the end I dont think there was anything but he probably had the best spell of his career in that period of time.

Hes prone to trying far too hard if he gets grief from the crowd, St Mirren fans rattled him down there and in the return game he seemed so determined to get back at them he tried to force chances which simply didnt exist. My worry is a wee bit slagging from home supporters would see that side of him come out and he'd struggle. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

Kennedy signing for Aberdeen got my thinking about how it worked out for most of our players who decided to leave - it rarely goes well.

Looking back on players we sold or reportedly tried to keep at the end of their contracts

Stevie May - probably forced to leave with SB's brilliant contract negotiations, was okay for Sheff Wed, got injured and career tailed off from there

MOH - awful move, somehow got himself hated by both sides of the cheeks and a failure

Liam Craig - played a big part in a Hibs side that went down and stayed down

Danny Swanson - rubbish with Hearts, meh with Hibs

Brian Graham - continued to be a below average premiership striker - best return 8 goals in a championship season

Fran Sandaza - absolute laughing stock at Rangers, now bouncing around some interesting leagues

Rowan Vine - With all due respect to the c*nt, couldn't hack it at his bigger team

Joe Shaughnessy - badly advised and barely playing for the worst team in League 1 ( small side story, spoke to a head of recruitment who worked on the deal to sign his brother for a club, has confirmed his dad/agent is an absolute throbbing c*nt)

Gregory Tade- probably did the best, got a decent more to Steaua and in the middle east, bonus points for pissing off the notorious Gigi Becali

Nigel Hasselbaink - okay time in holland, now paying in Israel, seems to be doing well for himself

James Dunne - Not sure how realistic a permanent move was, but he was held up as a messiah for years when the transfer windows came round, knocking about English lower leagues

Blair Alston - Average for Saints, seems to be average for Hamilton too

There's probably more, but it's interesting to see that nobody does that well. Saints have always had a knack of building a solid team and having one or two talismen that were allowed to flourish - Matty Kennedy being the latest example of that - can see him struggling at Aberdeen when he finds out he's just another player in a system rather than having things built around him

16 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

Also just imagine a strike force of Chris Kane and Curtis Main

Over the last two seasons they have a combined 7 goals in 87 appearances in the league. 

Or 7 goals in 5180 minutes (goal every 740 minutes/8 games).

A truly terrifying prospect.

If they played every minute of the season (3420 minutes) we'd be getting a combined 4/5 goals from them...

Edited by RandomGuy.

Looks like we’re close to getting Rooney too. Hoping to have him tied up by the end of the week. 

McCart has signed a 2 year contract, starting next season, and we’re trying to get him now. 

12 minutes ago, Kyle said:

that’ll do lads. 

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Looks like we’re close to getting Rooney too. Hoping to have him tied up by the end of the week. 

McCart has signed a 2 year contract, starting next season, and we’re trying to get him now. 

Happy with that. The exact sort of "profile" I like from our signings. It didnt quite work out perfectly with Alston but he never really had a position, which hindered things, but he was definitely good enough for our level.

If we could get pure cash for Kennedy, and use it to get Rooney and McCart this month, I think that would maybe be the best option. Solves all the issues with defensive depth, and then we just have to either hope Wotherspoon/MOH or Swanson can replace Kennedys contribution, or try and get Swanson out and sign someone else.

9 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Offer them Kane, take the swap for Main ;) 

No no.

Ask them for Rooney and McCart, and offer them a player who can cover both positions, has top flight games under his belt, young enough for Robertson to develop, and an ex OF player.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No no.

Ask them for Rooney and McCart, and offer them a player who can cover both positions, has top flight games under his belt, young enough for Robertson to develop, and an ex OF player.

a neat and tidy solution. I like this plan. 

Not quite sure why you are excited about McCart and Rooney, probably championship standard defenders at best. We signed McCart on an emergency loan in our championship winning season and he ended up fourth choice, behind Jack Baird.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

Not quite sure why you are excited about McCart and Rooney, probably championship standard defenders at best. We signed McCart on an emergency loan in our championship winning season and he ended up fourth choice, behind Jack Baird.

While you've signed two boys from the Irish leagues. We signed one of the most prolific scorers in that league history and hes currently playing in the third tier...

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

They’re replacing Ralston and Vihmann/Duffy. Automatic upgrades.