Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, perthsaint1977 said:
1 minute ago, The Real Saints said:

Then that begs the question... Who on earth will play in the centre? Unless those injury rumours are incorrect.

You will find out soon enough

Matt Butcher? A new signing? Ach it cheered me up. 

A couple of surprises in that line-up nonetheless. I was expecting Rooney instead of McNamara, Tanser instead of Booth (as I feel like Tanser is better at getting forward and is probably more suited to this set-up), and Conway or May as part of the front three instead of Wotherspoon. Very interesting. Look forward to seeing how this looks.

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

Is McCarts head photoshopped?

Yeah, all the January signings got that treatment.

Presumably it'll be updated when they get everyone photographed in the new kit.

Yeah, all the January signings got that treatment.
Presumably it'll be updated when they get everyone photographed in the new kit.

I thought I was losing my mind for a minute when I clicked it.

Wouldn't be an opening day without a surprise or two in the team. 5-4-1 at Rugby Park, then O'Halloran and Kennedy as strikers last year. 

With only two friendlies, I'd probably have tried to keep it to something more basic but looking forward to seeing if CD has managed to get his message across. 

3 minutes ago, Radford said:

Wouldn't be an opening day without a surprise or two in the team. 5-4-1 at Rugby Park, then O'Halloran and Kennedy as strikers last year. 

Tbf there were mitigating factors for those (Comrie/Celtic), and at least this seems to have been used in pre-season.

United fans don't reckon they've played 3 at the back at all in pre-season and have just chucked a kid into one. 

Not impressed by Callums first game. Without knowing who was carrying knocks or how they've fared in training that was the wrong formation and starting 11 for me. Very disjointed, hope he's not going to be one of these managers who adopts a system and sticks by that even when the players at his disposal aren't up to playing it.

8 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Not impressed by Callums first game. Without knowing who was carrying knocks or how they've fared in training that was the wrong formation and starting 11 for me. Very disjointed, hope he's not going to be one of these managers who adopts a system and sticks by that even when the players at his disposal aren't up to playing it.

Was typing the exact same thing on the match thread as you were typing this. Fair enough you start with a formation but you've got to adapt to what's happening on the park.  Having said that, it's a good point from being a player and a goal down at HT and playing shite in the first half, so fair play to Callum for that.

Definitely shows up how much we need another centre midfielder though.  If Liam Craig was struggling to finish that game then we were probably going to have to see Kerr slot in there.

With 3 strong centre backs I completely get the idea of starting three at the back. But I'm afraid I don't think our wing back options are all that great for this level, hopefully proved wrong as the season progresses.  Either way, surely in a tight competitive league we're better with a 3-5-2 than 3-4-3.  It makes us more solid and means we can get McCann on the ball far more to dictate things.  I also think Hendry is far better playing alongside a strike partner.

Just my opinion, and worth bearing in mind it's only our third game.