Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, Fifespud said:

Well he 'fucking hates Dundee' so he should fit in well.

Looks like being a really shite time to be a St Johnstone fan over the next few weeks. 'Pleasing'

Aye, the European draw and at least one European away trip over the next few weeks. Going to be terrible.

Looks like being a really shite time to be a St Johnstone fan over the next few weeks. 'Pleasing'

Aye its shite , I was really looking forward to the betfred cup as well

4 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

Can't see the Wright to Aberdeen chat. I've got him down as the next Northern Ireland boss when O'Neill inevitably moves on in the next 18 months. 

Have a watch of Wright's interview filmed earlier today. That may change your view on him still being with us long enough to take on O'Neill's position when he moves on. 

22 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Have a watch of Wright's interview filmed earlier today. That may change your view on him still being with us long enough to take on O'Neill's position when he moves on. 

Barring the chat about Scobbie, it just seemed like typical close season posturing from a manager wanting a bit extra for his squad to me - albeit in a rather downbeat tone.

Has there been any chat of disharmory between Wright and the board?

11 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

Barring the chat about Scobbie, it just seemed like typical close season posturing from a manager wanting a bit extra for his squad to me - albeit in a rather downbeat tone.

Has there been any chat of disharmory between Wright and the board?

underlying chat that resurfaces every now and again. The summer of 2014 was plagued with Brown giving Wright no money to spend on new players, despite losing 5 (although with caveats) and having 16 senior outfield players going into the new season. This summer is starting to remind me of that one, with very little news coming out of Saints and Wright being visibly frustrated in interviews about lack of progress on the signing front. 

Just a couple of months ago, Wright was extremely positive about this summer and next season. He was talking about increased budgets, pushing the boat out a bit and signing 'jewels' to compliment a strong squad. Fast forward to today and he's lost two players who he wanted to keep and who wanted to stay (I think he's over egging that slightly to make a point, like Radford said earlier, but he's clearly annoyed about losing them), we've signed one player (who agreed to sign in April and who is one for the future) and talk of jewels seems to have disintegrated.

If Aberdeen do come calling, I'd have given ourselves a decent chance of holding onto Wright if he had got his first choice targets (I'd guess Murray and Scougall were the two he was after). Now I think it's almost certain he'll go if he gets the call. This kind of stuff has happened too often.

Edited by Kyle

He said months ago he only expected one signing before pre-season started, and his plan this season was always to only run with five "proven" defenders as Watson was leaving and he never talked about replacing him.

It's just Tommy being a grumpy old f**k like he is sometimes in his interviews.

Supposedly Derek Adams is after the Aberdeen position should McInnes agree terms with Sunderland. In the past I would never have given him a chance at getting it, however after the job he has done at Plymouth Argyle I wouldn't be surprised now. Still a sour faced God botherer, but I hope he does get it for our sake.

12 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Scott Allan would've been perfect for you guys. Pity......

11 hours ago, Fifespud said:

:lol:. P&B's top roaster in fine form here.

1 hour ago, SaintDougie said:

Supposedly Derek Adams is after the Aberdeen position should McInnes agree terms with Sunderland....Still a sour faced God botherer, but I hope he does get it for our sake.

I don't think Tommy Wright will be our manager in a year's time. If he makes a bright start to the season, too many clubs will have run out of excuses not to hire him.

That said, I'm a little envious of the more imaginative signings made by some other clubs. I don't know the reason why we're not signing those sort of players, whether it's the fact we don't offer the same wages, we're not exploring that market or perhaps it's that we've tied too much of our budget in keeping our squad together (I mean it's great having Millar and Mannus for another season, but these guys probably aren't first team certainties any more, yet won't be cheap).

But perhaps our stolid approach will pay dividends as it has in year's past.

10 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

I don't think Tommy Wright will be our manager in a year's time. If he makes a bright start to the season, too many clubs will have run out of excuses not to hire him.

That said, I'm a little envious of the more imaginative signings made by some other clubs. I don't know the reason why we're not signing those sort of players, whether it's the fact we don't offer the same wages, we're not exploring that market or perhaps it's that we've tied too much of our budget in keeping our squad together (I mean it's great having Millar and Mannus for another season, but these guys probably aren't first team certainties any more, yet won't be cheap).

But perhaps our stolid approach will pay dividends as it has in year's past.

It's the St Johnstone way! As you say though there looks to have been some pretty good signings from our nearest rivals so far this window which is a tad worrying. Hoping that there will be some positive news soon though.

I dream of a transfer window when we manage to make a Marquee signing of some stature, it's just not going to happen these days though, and to be fair it's by not chucking money at some near hasbeen well known name that has got us where we are now.  

The closest I can think of in recent times would be Jody Morris, although he came with some serious baggage from down south that he was desperate to get away from. Leading to Dubbery, whom really only came to us on the advice of Morris. Maybe Enkelman as well, but again had a pretty bad rep south of the border after successive howlers in big matches.