Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

What's the feeling on Scobbie potentially moving on? In the spring, I think a lot of fans saw there being a case for Mannus and Scobbie going to open up funds but then both came back into the side in the last few weeks of the season and that opinion maybe changed?

Would TW feel the need to sign a replacement? Based on this season, it would mean the younger guys possibly needing to play up to 20 games. Does he trust them enough? If he's going to simply sign another experienced defender then we'd surely be better with the devil we know - Scobbie will never nail down a regular start but doesn't appear to rock the boat - but if it does create a pathway for the young players, then maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

Yup. Be interested to see what sort of percentage of players in that sort of agreement range (20-23), who've been reserves down there with minimal senior game, go on to have decent careers.

I'd also be wary of loading the squad with them.

Based on nothing id expect Maroney to be decent, as he seems to be a players who's made some form of impact down there in the youth league. The other winger guy stinks of someone who'll disappear next summer.

"Maloney"

"Kyle McClean"

HTH

22 minutes ago, Radford said:

What's the feeling on Scobbie potentially moving on? In the spring, I think a lot of fans saw there being a case for Mannus and Scobbie going to open up funds but then both came back into the side in the last few weeks of the season and that opinion maybe changed?

Would TW feel the need to sign a replacement? Based on this season, it would mean the younger guys possibly needing to play up to 20 games. Does he trust them enough? If he's going to simply sign another experienced defender then we'd surely be better with the devil we know - Scobbie will never nail down a regular start but doesn't appear to rock the boat - but if it does create a pathway for the young players, then maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

I think providing the young lads the opportunity to step in as cover is a good thing, could be plenty of chance with Watson also potentially moving on, but do worry we're a bit light in terms of left sided defenders. Gordon and Comrie are right sided, not sure about Gilchrist and Kerr...

The indomitable @bunglebonce said that Foster performed just as well at left back as on the right for County but we never got the chance to see it last season because Easton started every game IIRC.

I don't think Gilchrist, Gordon or Kerr are capable of playing at full back (Gilchrist is left-sided though, not sure about Kerr) but it's not the end of the world if Shaughnessy has to move across IMO.

Watson might get a reprieve if Scobbie goes of course.

If he wants to leave to be a starter somewhere I wouldn't be putting up too much of a fight to keep him.

I would add I think our successes have been built by have a solid group of back up players who can step in, and Scobbies is one of them. Trading that for an untested youngster is a big risk, and ideally we wouldn't need to, I'm not one of those who seems to think Gordon is a solid option, and I know nothing about Gilchrist, Kerrs and interesting one, but ideally he'd be in the Championship next season. Be interested to see if Scobbie leaving would change the situation with Watson.

Is it in the best interests of the youngsters to take Scobbies role though? Minutes wise, he didn't feature all that much I don't think, it would surely better for them to be first choice somewhere?

Although maybe Gordon's time to be loaned out has passed

Scobbie played the equivalent of 18 games. That'd be a big step up in terms of development for any of the four young defenders, considering they have three appearances between them for Saints at the moment.

My guess is Watson will get a reprieve though, if Scobbie leaves.

14 hours ago, Radford said:

My guess is Watson will get a reprieve though, if Scobbie leaves.

Is it that simple? Isn't Watson free to leave only because he's injury prone rather than out of favour? I'm not sure Scobbie's departure will influence that.

On 2017-6-10 at 15:15, The Real Saints said:

Hopefully we have a few foreign trialists at our first training session. Josu or Donovan Deekman would be ideal.

No sign of anyone unusual in the pictures on social media, unsurprisingly. Of more interest is who doesn't appear in any, namely Scobbie, Watson and Coulson.

No Mannus or Paton obviously and no sign of Clark or Davidson, although did the latter not have surgery last month?

It barely feels like the start of a new season, merely a continuation of the last one.

Is it possible that players wont sign just yet because they know it means a really early start to pre-season. if they dont sign for two weeks it means a longer summer break for them

No.

The plan is obviously to get thru the first two rounds of Europa qualification then attract some big names with the lure of the 'latter stages' of European competition.

Also, the transfer window doesn't open until 1st July so if we're going to start throwing the odd mil about to buy players we have to bide our time til then...