Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Callum Davidson been "called up" to the Scotland backroom staff for the England game

The SFA going for younger coaches rather than the games dinosaurs?
Is there any reasoning for this?

2 hours ago, Radford said:

Any indication if that was through his own choice or if he simply hasn't been selected? 

Not yet. All of the talk today was about Ballou Tabla declining a call-up again, Hutchinson taking an international hiatus and a few other players who weren't called. I don't think most people have heard of Wotherspoon or are aware he is eligible for us. I didn't read anything about the status of Bryan Cristante from Atalanta and I know the new manager flew to Italy a few weeks ago to talk to him.

We have to name a 40-man provisional roster for the Gold Cup fairly soon and that often has some a few names that are more wishful thinking than reality (Fraser Aird was on one of those 40-man rosters a couple of years before he decided to come back to Canada after getting youth caps with Scotland). So I think it will be telling whether Wotherspoon is on that preliminary roster at all.

cheers, matthew

5 hours ago, juneof86 said:

I don't think most people have heard of Wotherspoon or are aware he is eligible for us.

That's similar to the SFA and St Johnstone in general over here.

4 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Doesn't have a Canadian passport yet so still technically not eligible for them.

Surely you'd need to be a Canadian citizen to qualify for a passport? FIFA rules on eligibility will be far looser. Surely you'd just need to prove those?

(I don't say this with any knowledge - just can't believe you need to be a citizen of a country - with all the hurdles that entails - to play for them.)

Edited by Mr Heliums

4 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Sorry, which St Johnstone players have been passed over for Scotland?

TBF Stevie May was completely ignored during his season with us, Mackay was the best Scottish right back in the country for nigh on four seasons and couldn't get near a squad, and we've now got Mark Reynolds, who can't hold down a starting place at Aberdeen, being selected ahead of Steven Anderson, who is widely considered the best Scottish centre half in the country. Thats not including the fact Murray Davidson and Michael O'Halloran were both red hot, and exactly what Scotland needed at those times, and couldn't get a shot.

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

TBF Stevie May was completely ignored during his season with us, Mackay was the best Scottish right back in the country for nigh on four seasons and couldn't get near a squad, and we've now got Mark Reynolds, who can't hold down a starting place at Aberdeen, being selected ahead of Steven Anderson, who is widely considered the best Scottish centre half in the country. Thats not including the fact Murray Davidson and Michael O'Halloran were both red hot, and exactly what Scotland needed at those times, and couldn't get a shot.

ezgif-1-ece97f369c.gif.6c8065178c3f83d4a64dcf3e5eeba33a.gif.75418def7ee76d94bc0b57e74b1577ef.gif

garry-468533.jpg

10 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Surely you'd need to be a Canadian citizen to qualify for a passport? FIFA rules on eligibility will be far looser. Surely you'd just need to prove those?

(I don't say this with any knowledge - just can't believe you need to be a citizen of a country - with all the hurdles that entails - to play for them.)

For a friendly it doesn't matter at all. Official matches get more complicated depending on your situation. Immigrants generally do need a passport and citizenship. And after Qatar gave citizenship to every Brazilian in their league, FIFA mandates a residency requirement now too. But for players who qualify through their parents or grandparents, I don't believe they need an actual passport to play (I could be wrong). 

The other small hurdle for Wotherspoon is that since he had Scottish youth caps, he would have to officially change his citizenship with FIFA (assuming one of those caps came in an official match and not a friendly), which isn't terribly complicated, but needs to be done.

Is it normal for St. Johnstone (or other clubs) to have such a short close season? It seems preposterous to me. The season is long enough. You would think a month away from the pitch would do them more benefit than the extra training.

cheers, matthew

9 minutes ago, juneof86 said:

Is it normal for St. Johnstone (or other clubs) to have such a short close season? It seems preposterous to me. The season is long enough. You would think a month away from the pitch would do them more benefit than the extra training.

cheers, matthew

It is if we qualify for European competition, which has been the case for the last few years. Scotland's coefficient is low so we enter the first qualifying rounds. We just need to get through them, which is hard as we haven't played any competitive football and havent signed all the new players before theses games. Vicious circle I'm afraid.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

lol