Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

5 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Apparently we’re after Greg Kiltie according to the Record.

I always quite like Kiltie. I think he'd fit the shape quite well and young enough to improve. Make it so, Callum.

I've had Kiltie typecast as Wotherspoons heir for a few years, based entirely on one game of football manager, so this feels like fate IMO.

Just now, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Alston had his moments at least. Wasn't a failure. 

I'm just joking tbh, Hendry seems to have been far more consistent, over multiple seasons now, than those two ever were.

Would be one of those where even if it goes wrong you can't criticise the decision to sign them.

2 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:
Channeling my inner RG and sharing some twitter clips of him for those interested.

Clips are so last year, I'll show you exactly where he receives throw ins though, that's the make or break stat you'll need to know before signing him IMO.

Is it overthinking it to wonder if we've already become aware a bid we can't reject is headed in for McCann this Summer?

Manager has dropped wee hints about it over the past week, and the Hendry rumour is interesting as McCanns sort of position seems the best for Hendry in our line up.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is it overthinking it to wonder if we've already become aware a bid we can't reject is headed in for McCann this Summer?

Manager has dropped wee hints about it over the past week, and the Hendry rumour is interesting as McCanns sort of position seems the best for Hendry in our line up.

It's going to happen sometime, everyone knows this, that's partly why Gilmour was brought in and probably why we are looking at midfielders. Remember Bryson is likely to be away so we will need at least one in anyway.

5 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

It's going to happen sometime, everyone knows this, that's partly why Gilmour was brought in and probably why we are looking at midfielders. Remember Bryson is likely to be away so we will need at least one in anyway.

Yeah I know its inevitable, but just feels like it's all lining up this week. Davidson seems to like to be fairly up front it seems, so I'm just a bit curious/highly likely to be overthinking it, that's he repeatedly mentioned an offer "potentially" coming in for McCann this Summer.

McCann should be commanding a fee of at least £2 million. He’d be a bargain at that fir a top end English Championship club as a guy who’s only just turned 21 but already has two top six finishes, a cup and four full international caps under his belt. I’d honestly be amazed if we hold on to him until next season.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm just joking tbh, Hendry seems to have been far more consistent, over multiple seasons now, than those two ever were.

Would be one of those where even if it goes wrong you can't criticise the decision to sign them.

I’ve never actually seen the lad play but from the clips posted, he seems to possibly have a bit of the Scott Allan about him? What kind of midfielder is he?

McCann should be commanding a fee of at least £2 million. He’d be a bargain at that fir a top end English Championship club as a guy who’s only just turned 21 but already has two top six finishes, a cup and four full international caps under his belt. I’d honestly be amazed if we hold on to him until next season.
Need to get a good sell-on clause in there too.

5 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I’ve never actually seen the lad play but from the clips posted, he seems to possibly have a bit of the Scott Allan about him? What kind of midfielder is he?

A very good one. All this is just IMO obvs, so could be wrong.

Likes to pick the ball up near his own box and get it up the park. By that I mean he'll either carry it himself by trying to take it past players (close control is Spoony-esque, plus he has pace enough to get beyond players but not enough to get away from them, if that makes sense?), or by playing passes. Seems to love one touch passing moves in the middle of the park and is happy playing up the way or across the way. Definitely has Allan's ability to thread balls through defences, but is more likely to play multiple passes in the middle of the park to help Raith work their way up than stay high up the park threading shroo balls. Gets in the box on occasion, but more likely to loiter on the edge.

Average/poor defensively. Can hold position and win the ball back on occasion, but is poor in the air and the way he plays on the ball will mean he's caught up the park/out of position a lot. Has a freeish role at Raith to go wherever the ball is, so perhaps it's just the system rather than the player with that one? Don't think he could play Craig's role in the bigger games, and would potentially be wasted there anyway. Ideally you give him a free role in a midfield 3 I think.

Tl:Dr he's the left of this.

Spoiler

Compl.thumb.png.f9b05b77fd2fe2ec2559e4b890726b7d.png.2ebd1302f30e8ee00e84dc3d6593e7d7.png

Top shows he's a huge ball carrier playmaker, with ball winning being the role he plays least like.

Bottom shows how well he's played across the board for his level. Ready for a step up.

6 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Likes the ball to his feet and can easily get out of tight spaces, a bit like Millar used to do tbh. Tries to keep the ball, often with short passes to team mates. Not great defensively. I think he'd need to change certain aspects of his game to play for us,  especially in the 2 systems that we rely on but he definitely has talent and is the type we should be going for.