Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

9 hours ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Have you seen much of Ballantyne? What type of player is he? Could he be a McCann replacement? 

I watched him last Summer, and didn't think he was too similar to McCann. At the time Davidson seemed the best comparison in terms of on the ball stuff. Passes are generally just simple ones, likes to drive forward with the ball, gets in the box. Off the ball more like Wotherspoon, would press but wasn't hard in the tackle like McCann/Davidson, most of his work seemed to be just picking up the scraps/causing players to miscontrol, rather than tackling, if that makes sense?

Not watched a huge amount of him this season to comment fairly tbh.

Tried to use statistics to profile him, just skip past if it doesn't interest you. Disclaimer I've not updated these with the figures from the latest games, and they're based on just the current season.

Spoiler

679150454_allybally.thumb.png.288dfc6a111f0e9eef7bebccffd3ee23.png

Compared to McCann, obviously different teams/levels etc.

Aggressive ball winner in style, but doesn't win many balls as seen by the "performance", which likely means hes still not great at actually winning the ball back. Good creator means hes getting in the box and setting up good chances a lot, and also likes to carry the ball up the park. Good goalscorer too. McCanns strength is winning the ball back, so not a great replacement if we're wanting the same thing.

This is him v the other CMs...

Spoiler

Muzz.thumb.png.ea564b145d34943137b3e0e99eeb9bb3.png

Think I was wrong last season in comparing him to Davidson, or hes moved on and improved other parts of his game. Seems a lot better in possession, but at a lower level.

Craig.thumb.png.829efc97e0764f3350d573ae6b3d8f69.png

Craig gets high "creator" score, almost entirely because he takes set plays. Wish I could filter it out but I can't. A flaw with the system tbh. Craig gets a lot of his shots on target, and has a higher xG score than most people would probably guess (its almost identical to Wotherspoon, who gets far less shots on target).

Again though, Ballantyne not being a great ball winner is the major difference.

Bryson.thumb.png.8ba82ab9fa8171129024b91510c8f9fc.png

Would probably compliment Bryson quite well, tbh. Almost the exact opposite type of player.

spoon.thumb.png.266d1c4841822a87c0c4053f0270ba58.png

Probably the closest match to Wotherspoon, but still different.

All in I think Ballantyne will need to improve on winning the ball back, falls below League One standard for it, and I'm unsure it would improve by moving up 2 tiers. Definitely think he could add a different dimension to the midfield, and deserves a chance to find his way into the squad now IMO.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I watched him last Summer, and didn't think he was too similar to McCann. At the time Davidson seemed the best comparison in terms of on the ball stuff. Passes are generally just simple ones, likes to drive forward with the ball, gets in the box. Off the ball more like Wotherspoon, would press but wasn't hard in the tackle like McCann/Davidson, most of his work seemed to be just picking up the scraps/causing players to miscontrol, rather than tackling, if that makes sense?
Not watched a huge amount of him this season to comment fairly tbh.
Tried to use statistics to profile him, just skip past if it doesn't interest you. Disclaimer I've not updated these with the figures from the latest games, and they're based on just the current season.
Spoiler

679150454_allybally.thumb.png.288dfc6a111f0e9eef7bebccffd3ee23.png

Compared to McCann, obviously different teams/levels etc.

Aggressive ball winner in style, but doesn't win many balls as seen by the "performance", which likely means hes still not great at actually winning the ball back. Good creator means hes getting in the box and setting up good chances a lot, and also likes to carry the ball up the park. Good goalscorer too. McCanns strength is winning the ball back, so not a great replacement if we're wanting the same thing.

This is him v the other CMs...

Spoiler

Muzz.thumb.png.ea564b145d34943137b3e0e99eeb9bb3.png

Think I was wrong last season in comparing him to Davidson, or hes moved on and improved other parts of his game. Seems a lot better in possession, but at a lower level.

Craig.thumb.png.829efc97e0764f3350d573ae6b3d8f69.png

Craig gets high "creator" score, almost entirely because he takes set plays. Wish I could filter it out but I can't. A flaw with the system tbh. Craig gets a lot of his shots on target, and has a higher xG score than most people would probably guess (its almost identical to Wotherspoon, who gets far less shots on target).

Again though, Ballantyne not being a great ball winner is the major difference.

Bryson.thumb.png.8ba82ab9fa8171129024b91510c8f9fc.png

Would probably compliment Bryson quite well, tbh. Almost the exact opposite type of player.

spoon.thumb.png.266d1c4841822a87c0c4053f0270ba58.png

Probably the closest match to Wotherspoon, but still different.

All in I think Ballantyne will need to improve on winning the ball back, falls below League One standard for it, and I'm unsure it would improve by moving up 2 tiers. Definitely think he could add a different dimension to the midfield, and deserves a chance to find his way into the squad now IMO.

Who was he playing for last summer?

Just now, The Marly said:

Who was he playing for last summer?

Nobody. I watched him play for Montrose last season, during the break between seasons last Summer.

Tried to watch as much of our youngsters as possible. Think they all showed potential, but were too raw and needed another loan spell. Fear for some the poor time they've had in the lower tiers this season will see them leave the club this Summer tbh, if its another year down and they've not improved any then thats probably the right call.

11 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Courier reports that Zander will be fine for Sunday. 

And the manager is back to "hopefully" rather than "definitely" for renewals this week.

Scott Boyd is lucky he's not a woman.

6 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Two players have tested positive for Covid-19 and a further 2 are having to self isolate.

An absolute nightmare so close to the cup semi final.

Ooft. This could be dreadful. With Tanser and potentially Zander out, if any of the 4 are Booth or Parish we might be in trouble. If both, we're definitely in trouble. 

ETA hope nobody is unwell, obviously.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

2 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Ooft. This could be dreadful. With Tanser and potentially Zander out, if any of the 4 are Booth or Parish we might be in trouble. If both, we're definitely in trouble. 

An 18 year old in the sticks if that was to be the case. 

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Zander fit

If not one Covid 4 anyway 

Ideally it’s Gilmour, Bryson, Davidson and Brown. (Well not ideally, but you know what I mean)

Liklihood it’ll be Kerr, Gordon, McCart and Booth. 😂

1 minute ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

May, Craig, Parish & Davidson.

Confirmed? No Craig would be annoying, but we’d get by without that 4 ok since not one of them is a defender. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

May, Craig, Parish & Davidson.

We could live with this, IMO.