Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Is there due to be a revision of covid restrictions on crowds in the near future, or are we likely to be limited to a couple of thousand at home to Galatasary?

If there is, would be ideal if we can get tickets on sale prior to the away leg a week tomorrow.  

Don’t think we will, but in the event we take a humping away from home, it would be nice if we’ve sold out in advance of the first leg taking place.  Even better if the tie is still in the balance.

Can see us going over there and getting a draw, but feel our lack of goals make progress very difficult, especially now the away goals rule is gone.

Draw for the next round is on Monday coming so we’ll know in advance who we’ve got next, whichever competition it is.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Is there due to be a revision of covid restrictions on crowds in the near future, or are we likely to be limited to a couple of thousand at home to Galatasary?

There's due to be an entire (provisional) lifting on crowd restrictions from August 9th onwards.

Edited by The Real Saints

29 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Don't think any changes are planned until the 9th, when I think social distancing is being removed.

Not sure the club can leave it so late to sell tickets though, so who knows how they'll organise it.

Don't think any changes are planned until the 9th, when I think social distancing is being removed.
Not sure the club can leave it so late to sell tickets though, so who knows how they'll organise it.

Give all renewing season ticket holders their tickets and sell to all new season ticket holders.

Change comes in from the 9th but will be announced on the 2nd. That gives them a week to start punting tickets.

48 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Give all renewing season ticket holders their tickets and sell to all new season ticket holders.

Change comes in from the 9th but will be announced on the 2nd. That gives them a week to start punting tickets.

At least with online sales it doesn't force people at short notice to find time to head down to queue at McDiarmid like the good old days. 

But aye they could sell tickets up to the minimum they definitely know they'll be allowed, get the season ticket holders process sorted etc.

Once announcement happens and if that means max capacity and general sale then all steam ahead. 

20 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Should we be knocked out, we’d be unseeded in the draw for the Conference League. Could end up with another huge tie

2917CFF8-D192-48C2-B0BA-F361AD7AB256.png

Saw on Twitter earlier on this evening that we’ll be seeded if certain teams are knocked out. Massive help.

2 hours ago, perthsaints99 said:

Saw on Twitter earlier on this evening that we’ll be seeded if certain teams are knocked out. Massive help.

It’s pretty unlikely I think. A couple of results have gone our way but AEK Athens have just scored a 98th minute equaliser to take their game into ET. That not happening would have been a massive help. At the moment there’s one seeded spot left and at least two teams with a higher coefficient to fill those gaps. Had AEK lost (or if they do in the end) that creates two spaces. I think we’d still need one more to go out to give us a chance. Right now I think we’d need AEK to blow it and Astana to lose their tie (they’re 2-1 up on aggregate with 20 to play) and even then we possibly need another one.

Edit - a seeded Romanian team (FCSB) have also gone out so right now the cut off is 17.500. Galatasaray are 17.000.

Edited by Jamie_Beatson

8 hours ago, perthsaints99 said:

Eric Nicolson on the Courier Talking Football podcast recorded today saying he is ‘expecting Eetu Vertainen to be confirmed as a St Johnstone signing in the next few days’.

All European players now need a work permit, since we are an insular and backwards little island. Saints can't stick him with a scarf above the head until that is sorted. They would have wanted to get him across here though to start the quarantine and just risk it that the permit will be approved.

I'd forgotten about the chump that booked Anderson for having his jaw shattered, as for bad referees the clown from the Minsk game always jumps out. Fouled their way through 120 minutes, then the finally gets the red card out after the penalties because one sticks his middle finger up. 

1 hour ago, Radford said:

All European players now need a work permit, since we are an insular and backwards little island. Saints can't stick him with a scarf above the head until that is sorted. They would have wanted to get him across here though to start the quarantine and just risk it that the permit will be approved.

I'd forgotten about the chump that booked Anderson for having his jaw shattered, as for bad referees the clown from the Minsk game always jumps out. Fouled their way through 120 minutes, then the finally gets the red card out after the penalties because one sticks his middle finger up. 

I would say Scottish teams in general are more streetwise in Europe than we used to be.

This Saints team in particular are for being relatively young, packed with experience and crucially European experience. The guys like Craig, Wotherpoon, May and Daviddon will keep them right on the pitch and Davidson and Macca know what it is all about too.

I think you see the advantages of clubs being experienced in Europe. Dundee United in the 80's and 90's played so often they had routines as such. When we previously, Raith, QOS etc got to Europe, it seemed a big adventure and teams maybe not fully mentally prepared.