Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Stevie May out for 2 months.

Vertainen now our only available striker for Saturday.

We'll start Middleton and MOH up front.

Actually scrap that, apparently Ali Crawford is being namechecked as who he expects to play up front.

Just now, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Kano will start up front 

Had it in my head he'd be suspended after his red card, but forgot to double check so no idea if thats right.

11 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

I’m sure it’s league games he’ll miss 

Yeah that would make more sense tbh so I think your right. 

Would be a little surprising seeing as he's never not been on the bench.

Would be nice going into game(s) without Kane and May to have a striker with more than 3 cameos totaling 21 mins. Think Davidson's treatment of him backfired a bit now, and Crawford playing up front, if that ever actually happens, would cement that.

Vertainain in contention for Saturday.
New contract offer to Zander which is apparently very impressive.

I still think he’ll be away, especially if he thinks he can push for the starting XI when Gordon retires.

Cup double winners and our striking options for Hibs at home are likely to be Middleton, O'Halloran and, apparently, Crawford, barring an epiphany with Vertainen. 

A similarity with 2014, when we again rested on our laurels and had a game at Tannadice where Brian Graham wasn't eligible, MacLean was injured and McFadden hadn't yet signed. 

Tommy Wright started with O'Halloran as a lone striker and only had Adam Morgan available off the bench. 

The three most successful seasons in the last 25 years (1999, 2014 and 2021) and each time we've not improved the squad from a position of strength. Once is a mistake... 

The demographic of the squad in 2014 made it different but more similarities to 1999 with the likely retention of his squad too. Back then and Griffin, Lowndes, McAnespie, McQuillan, O'Halloran, O'Neil, Scott and Simao were all gone within a year or so and we were left with a manager who wasn't good in the transfer market and the spiral started. 

Anyway, big game on Saturday... 

54 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

And there was me thinking he had a horrendous attitude and no talent?

Not a convenience that he’s down to bare bones with strikers, he can hardly slag him when he’s going to need him at some point? I hope Eetu is world class, but doubt it 

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Callum just putting a spin on it as he knows he's fucked up by not getting another in to replace Hendry.

Until E2 scores the winner on Saturday, then it'll be a masterstroke and we were just waiting till he was up to speed, first Melamed now E2, two seasons in a row....

You could just see E2 coming in and scoring a winner to become a cult hero.

I wonder if had May's injury been worse, Davidson might have thought about recalling Hendry from Killie, although I doubt we will ever see him in a Saints shirt again.

Davidson should have told Zander to wipe out a few of the Celtic boys after the game last night while celebrating! 😉

Do we think Davidson will get any funds for signings in January and not just some extra cash for PCA's or new contracts? 

9 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

I wonder if had May's injury been worse, Davidson might have thought about recalling Hendry from Killie.

Hendry cant return, or play for us, until the window opens.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Not a convenience that he’s down to bare bones with strikers, he can hardly slag him when he’s going to need him at some point? I hope Eetu is world class, but doubt it 

He doesn't need to be world class. 

If he can control a ball, link with the players around him, and beat a man, then we'll look a completely different side.

Just now we've got Kane spending 90 minutes playing for free kicks and never getting involved with his partners up front.

He doesn't need to be world class. 
If he can control a ball, link with the players around him, and beat a man, then we'll look a completely different side.
Just now we've got Kane spending 90 minutes playing for free kicks and never getting involved with his partners up front.

This is the thing I don’t really get about Eetu’s lack of involvement - he really doesn’t need to be particularly good to improve or at least add something different to what our strikers are currently serving up. Last season May started really well and was scoring goals and everyone remembered Hendry’s smashing form from the season before so it made more sense to not rush Melamed straight in but I don’t really get it this season tbh.

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hendry cant return, or play for us, until the window opens.

That's what I mean, if it had gone into Jan or later, he might have been tempted to recall him at the first opportunity.

Shame for May as while he wasn't scoring, I think he had been doing well and looked sharp. Problem is both him and Kane do a lot of running and put in a lot of effort, but their main job is goals and that isn't happening.

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

That's what I mean, if it had gone into Jan or later, he might have been tempted to recall him at the first opportunity.

Ah fair dues. 

I think unless they can bring a striker in then they'll have to. Just now Kane is the only player who can play alone up front, so when his form drops we have no alternative and just have to hope he picks back up. Which is exactly the same issue we faced last season.