Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

We just need to find a way to be more attacking. 

We're perfectly fine defensively and will improve in January. If we could add some attacking threat this month, especially at home, and even just win two games, then you'd see the fans start to get more confident in the team and the team get more confident in themselves. Going into the winter break on a high, with momentum, and then watching the squad improve, could be massive, as I think the fans need to stay behind the club just now. Confidence is everything in a relegation battle maybe, so fans hounding players won't help.

If we do all that, then I think we could stay up comfortably. If not then we'll be in a battle and you never know how that'll go.

Either way I think/hope this will have given the club a shake and we won't end up in this situation again through poor planning.

Said every Saints fan 7 years ago

Almost like not bothering to sign another striker who can play through the middle was a mistake in the Summer. 

Looking forward to May getting chucked about like a wet blanket beside O'Halloran on Wednesday.

Edited by RandomGuy.

No head of recruitment until well into pre-season.

Let our 2 best players leave in the dying hours of the transfer window.

People might be blaming Davidson, but I’m blaming the board first and foremost.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

No head of recruitment until well into pre-season.

Ever think the HOR was hired because Davidson was hopeless at it and the chairman realised we'd end up just chucking money at absolute fucking dross if he didn't hire someone to filter out the shit?

He had a full season to plan for the Summer window. I was happy to excuse him his first window and probably even the last January window, as Covid made everything uncertain. Theres absolutely no excuse for this Summer. 

I've no idea why people continuously talk as if Davidson had no idea Kerr and McCann were off. Most accounts say Kerr had agreed he'd leave if we failed in the qualifiers before they'd even started, Davidson decided Hayden Muller or James Brown were realistic replacements. He talked highly of MacPerson and claimed he was a McCann replacement he'd had in mind for a while, but I'm hoping that was just talk to try and make it seem like a deal they'd planned and not just a panic signing after McCann was sold.

Hes had four goes at replacing Kerr (Muller, Dendoncker, Brown, Ambrose), about to be five with Cleary but this should be the start of the HOR business now. Plus two goes at replacing McCann (MacPherson, Butterfield), and Cleary/Butterfield aren't written off as squad players at the absolute best for me.

Also, Davidson chucking Vertainen under the bus is an absolute fucking disgrace. A 22yo player brought to the club to provide us with a spark in the final third and our manager is fucking mewling that him trying to play a pass around a corner cost us the game, just ignoring the fact McCart leaves Morelos to stroll into our 6 yard box unmarked and the fact we created absolutely f**k all throughout the entire match.

We've genuinely got a manager who prefers hard work to quality, and we wonder why the f**k we're absolutely shit in attack and wedged to the bottom of the league.

Edited by RandomGuy.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Also, Davidson chucking Vertainen under the bus is an absolute fucking disgrace. A 22yo player brought to the club to provide us with a spark in the final third and our manager is fucking mewling that he tried to play a pass around a corner cost us the game, just ignoring the fact McCart leaves Morelos to stroll into our 6 yard box unmarked and the fact we created absolutely f**k all throughout the entire match.

We've genuinely got a manager who prefers hard work to quality, and we wonder why the f**k we're absolutely shit in attack and wedged to the bottom of the league.

I'm also starting to get the fear that we'll get another covid-curtailed season so there's a chance (even if it's fairly small) that we don't actually have as much time as we think to sort this out

Craig's dive was also fucking tragic.

He's been showing all season (and in my view, for a few before) that he's totally past it, so that interception was one of the best things he's done in a Saints top for a long time. Then he goes and blatantly tries to cheat. Not only is the cheating itself not to be supported, but it was obvious he'd decided what he was doing from the moment he got in the box, and didn't even do a good job of it. It also shows a totally beaten mindset that he'd rather try and get a stolen penalty than actually have a shot on goal.

Truly embarrassing for him and the club. f**k off.

I notice one of Eetu’s relations is liking tweets about Callum Davidson being ridiculously critical. The comments really baffled me - yes, the flicks around the corner were being picked off easily and probably at a time when we just needed the ball to stick. Yes, he was poor last night, but I would have to argue against him being the poorest in that first half. The sooner Michael O’Halloran learns to kick a football again - if he ever could - the better. The constant head down and running straight into trouble is starting to really get to me. For somebody with all the right attributes, he’s got one hell of a way of showing them. 

Genuinely worried we’ll get bullied off the park on Saturday. 

6 hours ago, steviemay17 said:

I'm also starting to get the fear that we'll get another covid-curtailed season so there's a chance (even if it's fairly small) that we don't actually have as much time as we think to sort this out

The quicker this season is over the better.

With some luck everyone decides to piss off Hearts and Partick again and we manage to avoid relegation despite finishing bottom.

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

I notice one of Eetu’s relations is liking tweets about Callum Davidson being ridiculously critical. The comments really baffled me - yes, the flicks around the corner were being picked off easily and probably at a time when we just needed the ball to stick. Yes, he was poor last night, but I would have to argue against him being the poorest in that first half.

The thing for me is it wouldn't have been wrong for Davidson to criticise Vertainen to a degree.

He absolutely needs to learn when and where to try these things/keep it simple. He overplays and loses the ball too much. We need him to try things others won't and be creative, but there's a middle ground he's not found yet.

If Davidson had simply had a word at half time, then given him 5/10 minutes in the 2nd half to see if he'd taken it in before making any sub then fine. Even if he wants to say he didn't think he kept the ball well in the media its harsh but not unfair.

To drag him off at half time, then go into the media and blame him for the first goal and result, is just pointless. What's he hoping to achieve with that? He literally fucking agreed to bring Vertainen to the club because that's the type of player he is and now he's moaning about it?

Edited by RandomGuy.

The one person who seems to be getting off far far too easy in all of this is the HOR. When he joined the club he should have had a list for every position of suitable targets, which does not appear to have been the case. The only player who from the obvious outset seems to be his signing is Eetu, who doesn’t appear to fit our scheme and way of playing (whether the scheme and way of playing is the right way is another matter)

If you look at the guys that have been brought in as free agents - they have either been recommended by Gary Rowatt or one of our own players has done work to get them in - which then questions why weren’t players like this on our HOR’s radar? And why is he not bringing in players in positions we need? That is the main part of his job and so far he has failed at it.

9 hours ago, mizfit said:

I keep reminding folk that we didn't win a game this season before either of those two left, that those players' transfers were inevitable or forced and even if we'd got £20m for them, we'd still be in the same position we are right now.

Yet some still insist that their transfer is the reason we're bottom of the league, and not even consider the wider problems that extend to way before they left. How can the board be blamed for the passive, negative, eye-bleeding way we play, which doesn't seem to change no matter who Davidson signs?

Would rather not be seen as some sort of Steve Brown fanboy, but the board has been the one thing St Johnstone have got consistently right over the past thirty years. If every other club our size isn't envious of it, they should be.