Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I remember that O'Halloran comment in a post match interview, described the pitch as 'disgusting'.  Sure it was not long before he left to join rangers.
That'll teach him.

My dad was at hospitality for that game. Said to me most the players were in agreement when they went in to meet the fans and a few let slip that Chris was kicking off about the comments.

For all we can say Davidson should be taking the blame himself and not directing it at others, he’s totally correct on the pitch. It’s not even the fact it’s not the best grass, it’s the fact that it isn’t even flat that’s causing the massive issues. You’re expecting a fresh air swipe from the goalies at every single backpass and watching thorough your fingers when the ball bobbles back to Clark. 

Irrespective of what division we’re in, we need to be spending significant money sorting it out and keeping it in good condition. If that means replacing the groundsman, then so be it. 

For all we can say Davidson should be taking the blame himself and not directing it at others, he’s totally correct on the pitch. It’s not even the fact it’s not the best grass, it’s the fact that it isn’t even flat that’s causing the massive issues. You’re expecting a fresh air swipe from the goalies at every single backpass and watching thorough your fingers when the ball bobbles back to Clark. 

Irrespective of what division we’re in, we need to be spending significant money sorting it out and keeping it in good condition. If that means replacing the groundsman, then so be it. 

I didn’t realise until rewatching the highlights how much the ball was bobbling leading up to motherwells equaliser

8 minutes ago, Widge said:

Outsider looking in, surely there's more chance of the board being tight rather than the groundsman being shite?

Outsider looking in, surely there's more chance of the board being tight rather than the groundsman being shite?

The pitch was replaced after the season was ended due to Covid.

There’s no way it goes to shit so quick.

12 minutes ago, mizfit said:

The pitch was replaced after the season was ended due to Covid.

There’s no way it goes to shit so quick.

The issues stem from what's beneath the pitch. Couple that with having the gleneagles bin emptier as a groundsman and it's a bad combination. Just put plastic in and be done with it.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

If you replace it on the cheap it will.

We didn’t replace it on the cheap. We didn’t put in a new hybrid pitch, but there was investment in it. It shouldn’t be in this state already as others have said, it’s not been player on that much! 

As Tam says, the ground underneath isn’t brilliant and fundamentally saints should pay the money to get that totally sorted if they want to continue with grass. I certainly don’t want us to go plastic, but unless the underlying issues are sorted it’s not worth constantly throwing money at the grass. 

4 minutes ago, Widge said:

We didn’t replace it on the cheap. We didn’t put in a new hybrid pitch, but there was investment in it. It shouldn’t be in this state already as others have said, it’s not been player on that much! 

As Tam says, the ground underneath isn’t brilliant and fundamentally saints should pay the money to get that totally sorted if they want to continue with grass. I certainly don’t want us to go plastic, but unless the underlying issues are sorted it’s not worth constantly throwing money at the grass. 

Well that's what I'm saying. It's cheaper to not fix the underlying issue.

What is the underlying issue? This isn't a reclaimed brownfield site.

I don't like the way individuals are singled out without much basis but would be really interested to hear an explanation on just why it's got so much worse over the last decade, even compared to the noughties, when we also had the undersoil heating it. 

I'd rather we played on plastic than the surface we have to watch too many games on. The pitch is NEVER great now but only really even decent up until about October. 

A lot of people, including my dad, seem to moan that he puts far too much water on the pitch.

Not a clue about it myself tbh.

The issues I've been told about go back years and are mostly to do with the drainage and undersoil heating channels. I'd agree that the c**t waters it too much, especially if there is history of problems.

I'll add this though, having knowledge of the land before the stadium was built I can tell you that where the Ormond is situated used to hold water, water which runs towards the newton burn or at least used to. I'm no expert but if that was the saturation level back then, before all the roads and stadium were built I'd say the pitch needs lifting a few feet. The top of Newhouse road should fix it.

46 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A lot of people, including my dad, seem to moan that he puts far too much water on the pitch.

Not a clue about it myself tbh.

Is it still the old guy that looks exactly how you'd imagine a stereotypical farmer that does it? Used to love giving it out to the Dundee support on occasion. Wears absolutely huge wellies when on the pitch, even in the midst of the summer months.

Is it still the old guy that looks exactly how you'd imagine a stereotypical farmer that does it? Used to love giving it out to the Dundee support on occasion. Wears absolutely huge wellies when on the pitch, even in the midst of the summer months.

That’s the boy

59 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Just your typical hibs fan.

4 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Yes that will probably be a factor. Regardless of the expense of a new pitch going in, if the resources aren't allocated to maintain it it's going to turn to shite.

The mad thing is it's been the mildest winter for a while, and there was a winter break during January, so there doesn't seem any reasonable explanation for it.

6 hours ago, Radford said:

What is the underlying issue? This isn't a reclaimed brownfield site.

I don't like the way individuals are singled out without much basis but would be really interested to hear an explanation on just why it's got so much worse over the last decade, even compared to the noughties, when we also had the undersoil heating it. 

I'd rather we played on plastic than the surface we have to watch too many games on. The pitch is NEVER great now but only really even decent up until about October. 

Part of the problem goes back to before the ground was even built. It wasn't a reclaimed brownfield site, it was an old farm and there was a burn that ran right under where the pitch is now. Newton burn I think. Incidentally, Hampden has the same problem.

I think if you were to put it down now, you'd probably put additional layers then what was before the pitch. The undersoil heating doesn't help and neither does the amount of games played on it.

I don't think the pitch is materially worse than it has been in the past, but relative to other teams and considering both the investment and growing lamps, it is in a right state.

I'm not sure the blame lies with the groundsman as such, it's as much to do with the demands being put on it.