Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The most worrying part of yesterday's result is the amount of people who seem to genuinely think we've had a good summer in terms of signings and have a good squad now.

They'll say you're a moaner though 🤷‍♂️ I do find some Saints fans views questionable like you're saying also (a few calling for the signings of Griffiths??!!!!) Is that football fans in general though?

I'm not convinced the squad has the quality either. This summer seems all very Mixu etc era. 

I hope we're proved wrong though. I've probably thought this about previous seasons teams as well when we've lost key players 🤷‍♂️ wasn't right then, convinced I am this time though but time will tell!

The key for fans at this time of the year though is to have some pre season optimism. Be excited for the new season. 

Otherwise we simply won't enjoy it and being a football fan is *meant* to be fun! A distraction from the midweek bore slog. Saints have made it difficult in recent times though to be fun I appreciate.

4 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Don't think I've ever been so unenthusiastic about a new season as I am now. 

The prospect of more MacPherson, Crawford, Davidsonball, favourites picked time and time again, the same substitutions week after week and probably Jamie Murphy being played as a striker. Hallberg out of position and all our creative hopes being pinned on a 33 year old scoring worldies. 

Good times. 

Never fear, we are 3 days from first game and we have no kits, no keeper a lack of forwards and a treatment room full of dads army players. Club seems to be pinning its hopes on a guy (Bair) who we wouldn't play last season and a young guy who was playing with Kelty. 

6 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Don't think I've ever been so unenthusiastic about a new season as I am now. 

The prospect of more MacPherson, Crawford, Davidsonball, favourites picked time and time again, the same substitutions week after week and probably Jamie Murphy being played as a striker. Hallberg out of position and all our creative hopes being pinned on a 33 year old scoring worldies. 

Good times. 

BUT... If he does score some wordlies 🤞 I'm still on the come down from Hendrys Motherwell winner. 

When was the last long ranger screamer we got to appreciate from our players? It's been a long while has it not...

Just now, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

BUT... If he does score some wordlies 🤞 I'm still on the come down from Hendrys Motherwell winner. 

When was the last long ranger screamer we got to appreciate from our players? It's been a long while has it not...

I think Booth scored one with his right foot in a home cup match v Morton.  There must be at least one more between that one and Hendry’s but can’t think of any.

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

Never fear, we are 3 days from first game and we have no kits, no keeper a lack of forwards and a treatment room full of dads army players. Club seems to be pinning its hopes on a guy (Bair) who we wouldn't play last season and a young guy who was playing with Kelty. 

name the DA players in treatment room

The only new player I know who is close to that is Carey  who rolled his ankle (Manager speak)and that he will be fine for Hibs and perhaps earlier 

have I missed the others?

When I engage the head I’m worried about the new season. But I’m trying my best not to do that and to be optimistic.

What I will say is I can see the path to us being okay/having a good or at least alright season. Would basically involve enough of these unknown variables going our way:

- Theo Bair coming really, really good

- players we missed through injury last year coming back like they’ve never been away

- no or few serious injuries to key players

- the older players we’ve signed ALL still being up to it and being fit to play 25+ games

- One of MacPherson or Gilmour coming good or at least bringing a big improvement on last season

- A great signing from Davidson in goal.

If enough of those happen we will be fine I reckon even if league is stronger as we all expect. If enough of those don’t happen I suspect we’ll be needing bailed out in January again and that Davidson will be out of a job by the end of the season.

Not a variable as such, but Davidson has to be more tactically flexible if things aren’t working too.

3 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

They'll say you're a moaner though 🤷‍♂️ I do find some Saints fans views questionable like you're saying also (a few calling for the signings of Griffiths??!!!!) Is that football fans in general though?

I'm not convinced the squad has the quality either. This summer seems all very Mixu etc era. 

A few in our support seem to think they have to agree with everything the club does, and anyone who criticises anything the club does is "the enemy". We could sign Griffiths and there would be plenty saying its a great signing and arguing with people who think it's shit.

To me our window this Summer felt like one you make in January when you're facing relegation and short on option, funnily enough. Go for "safe things" and experience and don't worry about anything long term. Summer windows should be more than that, for me.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens but this is his 5th window and it's hard to see a coherent plan in them all for us long term (as in, every window brings a different approach, except signing ageing short term players which has now happened twice).

Edited by RandomGuy.

Ross Doohan signed for Tranmere.

Rumoured GK options now down to Jack Hamilton and the unnamed loanee from down South that was mentioned somewhere by someone.

Still convinced it'll be Frank Fielding.

Ross Doohan signed for Tranmere.
Rumoured GK options now down to Jack Hamilton and the unnamed loanee from down South that was mentioned somewhere by someone.
Still convinced it'll be Frank Fielding.

Would Fielding be that bad?

Ex Millwall Keeper still not signed up yet either? Has a connection with Perth through his Father?
Could be waiting on an offer nearer home? 

…Jordan Archer or someone else? [emoji23]

1 hour ago, Center half said:

Ex Millwall Keeper still not signed up yet either? Has a connection with Perth through his Father?

Could be waiting on an offer nearer home? 

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

…Jordan Archer or someone else? emoji23.png

My first thought was David Martin, as his dad was a footballer, but zero idea how that links to us 😂

My first thought was David Martin, as his dad was a footballer, but zero idea how that links to us [emoji23]

My brain went “Scottish, Millwall, Archer” and instantly ruled it out once I typed it.

10 minutes ago, mizfit said:

My brain went “Scottish, Millwall, Archer” and instantly ruled it out once I typed it.

Tbf it's likely far more realistic than Martin.